Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

A new suffix: -yem (-hyem) changes the meaning of an action word to a repetition of the action. Omenta means "meet" becomes omentahyem meaning "meet again". Can be used as lye tenna omentahyem for "until we meet again." If you would like to extend the common saying...

lye tenna omentahyem ^ame nae'leh evareh.

Words that have been translated at this stage are mostly nouns as they are easiest to translate. Therefore the use of this suffix is limited until more verbs are discovered.

^ is the equivalent of a semi-colon (;) as the english colon (:) works in one direction, the ancient elvish equivalent < and > can refer to lists both before and after the ownership statement. Example: Many things are bad to eat> poisonous mushrooms, a pie you haven't bought, fire. Works in reverse as: Poisonous mushrooms, a pie you haven't bought, fire< many things are bad to eat.

I like the "Word of the day" thing. :P But yeah, it'd be great if we could re-write up an entire language and to speed up the process, use another language as like support or where to get our ideas from. If you do, please state where you got your inspiration from if possible. The meaning and uses of the words as well. As Elven Language I would expect there to be different tones used to mean different things. Kinda like Sarcasm but much more...I don't know how would I describe it. :S

I try to pull my inspiration from the way a language that was mostly spoken would evolve. (i.e. It would have lots of flow,and have fewer words mean more) but I also pull inspiration from japanese,and Latin. I'll be more specific about it in the future

And I know exactly what your talking about,that's how I intended the affixes to work.they put a lot of meaning into the words,and sarcasm only scratches the surface.it's difficult to explain in a language that lacks this kind of phrasing,but hopefully it makes sense

A new suffix: -yem (-hyem) changes the meaning of an action word to a repetition of the action. Omenta means "meet" becomes omentahyem meaning "meet again". Can be used as lye tenna omentahyem for "until we meet again." If you would like to extend the common saying...

lye tenna omentahyem ^ame nae'leh evareh.

Words that have been translated at this stage are mostly nouns as they are easiest to translate. Therefore the use of this suffix is limited until more verbs are discovered.

^ is the equivalent of a semi-colon (;) as the english colon (:) works in one direction, the ancient elvish equivalent < and > can refer to lists both before and after the ownership statement. Example: Many things are bad to eat> poisonous mushrooms, a pie you haven't bought, fire. Works in reverse as: Poisonous mushrooms, a pie you haven't bought, fire< many things are bad to eat.

I like the addition you put in,but it probably won't get much use,the language was spoken mostly. So annotations like that were rarely written. Im happy people have taken a shine to my version of the affixes so quickly :) your suffix seems very useful

I like the addition you put in,but it probably won't get much use,the language was spoken mostly. So annotations like that were rarely written.

I know that it won't have much use. But seen as we have to write everything that is said, I thought some form of punctuation for pauses would be usefeul.

I personally don't like putting triangular shaped punctuation marks into the language. I feel it looks too industrial while the elven language would be graceful and natural.

I keep what I have learned to call 'flying commas' (') into the words because they are an artefact from Nanatsuno's work. I suppose they have some pronunciation usage and indicate that two words are related.

Affixes are a fine idea. I'll get them integrated into the language as soon as possible. However, I personally like the 's between words, as it makes it slightly more pleasant to read (LotC RP chat is spoken, after all) and it's slightly more exotic. Perhaps suffixes get an apostrophe but prefixes don't?

I like elvish to have a peculiarity with the 'and' word. My suggestion is to take ehya, but use it exclusively as a suffix, and not allow 'and' to connect two sentences.

Some suggestions:

Mali'ker Maliame'ehya - Dark elves and Wood Elves

(I know I made Ker mean both Dark and Night, but that Dark Elf and Night Elf is equivalent bothers me 'cause it sounds too WoW. Yay pet peeves).

As you see, the apostrophe is added between Mali and Ker first, but with the addition of 'and', the apostrophe moves to the last suffix, and modifier and noun become connected. This gives the language a grammar structure unknown in English.

Desired side-effect: People making mistakes in their apostrophes in RP chat, explicitly picturing the failed pronunciation of elfish.

Of course, something like this could also be done:

Mali'ker 'ame - "Dark (and) Wood Elves"

This would be a way to prevent repetition of the word 'elves' (something we tend to avoid in English).

I would like to see 'and' attached to a verb when connecting sentences:

Ame evareh Velulaei ahereh'ehya - May the forest protect and the Moon bless.

(This can't be read as 'May the forest protect the moon and bless' or anything similar because of the SOV structure. Ame Velulaei evareh would be 'may the forest protect the moon')

Also, Mecha, I was not sure what you meant by 'tones'. If you want a lot of affixes to denote different tones I can only support that motion. However, if you're implying different cadence (like sarcastic tones) I would be hesitant as 'Elves' can only communicate through RP chat, which is text. So I think we better stay away from intonations and complex pronunciation.

So yeah, lots of text. Thanks for all the contributions. I'll make sure they get checked and added to the main post ASAP!

TLDR: MY SUGGESTIONS:

• Intentionally making elvish difficult to simulate bad pronunciation IG
  • Adding 'and' as another suffix to certain words for different uses
  • Using apostrophes for suffixes based on a priority system

I personally don't like putting triangular shaped punctuation marks into the language. I feel it looks too industrial while the elven language would be graceful and natural.

I keep what I have learned to call 'flying commas' (') into the words because they are an artefact from Nanatsuno's work. I suppose they have some pronunciation usage and indicate that two words are related.

Affixes are a fine idea. I'll get them integrated into the language as soon as possible. However, I personally like the 's between words, as it makes it slightly more pleasant to read (LotC RP chat is spoken, after all) and it's slightly more exotic. Perhaps suffixes get an apostrophe but prefixes don't?

I like elvish to have a peculiarity with the 'and' word. My suggestion is to take ehya, but use it exclusively as a suffix, and not allow 'and' to connect two sentences.

Some suggestions:

Mali'ker Maliame'ehya - Dark elves and Wood Elves

(I know I made Ker mean both Dark and Night, but that Dark Elf and Night Elf is equivalent bothers me 'cause it sounds too WoW. Yay pet peeves).

As you see, the apostrophe is added between Mali and Ker first, but with the addition of 'and', the apostrophe moves to the last suffix, and modifier and noun become connected. This gives the language a grammar structure unknown in English.

Desired side-effect: People making mistakes in their apostrophes in RP chat, explicitly picturing the failed pronunciation of elfish.

Of course, something like this could also be done:

Mali'ker 'ame - "Dark (and) Wood Elves"

This would be a way to prevent repetition of the word 'elves' (something we tend to avoid in English).

I would like to see 'and' attached to a verb when connecting sentences:

Ame evareh Velulaei ahereh'ehya - May the forest protect and the Moon bless.

(This can't be read as 'May the forest protect the moon and bless' or anything similar because of the SOV structure. Ame Velulaei evareh would be 'may the forest protect the moon')

Also, Mecha, I was not sure what you meant by 'tones'. If you want a lot of affixes to denote different tones I can only support that motion. However, if you're implying different cadence (like sarcastic tones) I would be hesitant as 'Elves' can only communicate through RP chat, which is text. So I think we better stay away from intonations and complex pronunciation.

So yeah, lots of text. Thanks for all the contributions. I'll make sure they get checked and added to the main post ASAP!

TLDR: MY SUGGESTIONS:

• Intentionally making elvish difficult to simulate bad pronunciation IG
  • Adding 'and' as another suffix to certain words for different uses
  • Using apostrophes for suffixes based on a priority system

i suppose i better get into the habit of using some flying commas then eh? haha

i know you said you wanted someone with authority to do the Affixes,but i thought id take a crack at it anyway,and im glad you like the outcome,one step closer to a finished language :)

i was iffy on the word and in the first place,but your idea for it is fantastic,

the sentence that prevents the repeated word just proves that you and i are on the same page with the way languages that are almost exclusivly spoken develops.you turned my simple word into elegance haha.

just so were Clear: if two suffixes follow a word that each mean something different (like two different types of elf,for instance) it should assumed that each is being named and use the word and in your translation. alternativly the word for and can be added to the end of a word to put and in the sentence for two subjects,even if the word already has a suffix.

is it going to be rare to see words with more than one suffix like this?

Love the use of and. I was only using ^ arrows to try and put some longform sentences in place. I like throwing in words here and there, but we are getting to the stage of creating sentences and therefore need punctuation. But I love the confusing use of 'and', I think its perfect.

Love the use of and. I was only using ^ arrows to try and put some longform sentences in place. I like throwing in words here and there, but we are getting to the stage of creating sentences and therefore need punctuation. But I love the confusing use of 'and', I think its perfect.

i liked the use of ^ personally.im kind of a perfectionist with this kind of thing.making mistakes would bother me so i like having all the rules of the language,even if written was rarely used.i felt like it would look good too,just it a different font. mayhaps we could make a font for download to go with this language to make words look more elven? haha i like this idea,sudden inspiration :D

but i agree,and was perfect :)

i liked the use of ^ personally.im kind of a perfectionist with this kind of thing.making mistakes would bother me so i like having all the rules of the language,even if written was rarely used.i felt like it would look good too,just it a different font. mayhaps we could make a font for download to go with this language to make words look more elven? haha i like this idea,sudden inspiration :D

but i agree,and was perfect :)

Thanks. My thoughts after seeing sporadic's note was that it should be arrows but written as calligraphy so that it looks like an arrowhead or heart missing the middle indent. And as the written form differs deppending on where it is, the wood elves style would be very curled. Think about making an arrow in one quick movement, so its a bit like a 'c'

I am loving where this is going and all? Where how we're all chipping in for ideas and stuff? But can we please have one single spot where all the information is chunked into and like properly categorized? Because with each post and ideas we give, we leave it there and we would have to refer back and forth to make sense of certain things or compare ideas and give suggestions. .-. We need a scribe. WE NEED RANOVAK. DX

I am loving where this is going and all? Where how we're all chipping in for ideas and stuff? But can we please have one single spot where all the information is chunked into and like properly categorized? Because with each post and ideas we give, we leave it there and we would have to refer back and forth to make sense of certain things or compare ideas and give suggestions. .-. We need a scribe. WE NEED RANOVAK. DX

Or me :D haha. Besides isn't sporadic supposed to add it all to the first post?

Thanks. My thoughts after seeing sporadic's note was that it should be arrows but written as calligraphy so that it looks like an arrowhead or heart missing the middle indent. And as the written form differs deppending on where it is, the wood elves style would be very curled. Think about making an arrow in one quick movement, so its a bit like a 'c'

Oh that would be very nice indeed. Trouble is that LotC rp chat won't have the font all curvy

Or me :D haha. Besides isn't sporadic supposed to add it all to the first post?

I'm working on it...

EDIT: Updated!

I think the elven font style of the seriphs is correct, but it would be more handritten in a way that looks like the humans' font you selected. Elvish writing should be very loose and flowy and can be abused by elves writing quickly such that is looks like a scribble.

I think the elven font style of the seriphs is correct, but it would be more handritten in a way that looks like the humans' font you selected. Elvish writing should be very loose and flowy and can be abused by elves writing quickly such that is looks like a scribble.

I disagree,the elves are very long lived.they've had hundreds and hundreds of years to perfect their handwriting even when rushed.there agile hands are good for aiming arrows as well as pens,

Humans on the other hand only get about 80ish years to learn to write,they would focus more on content than astetics,while elves have so much time they can focus on both.