Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

Added were:

ah: Blessed. Adjective. Often used in front of names to denote sainthood.

aher: bless.

(a)caele: sky. - The plural, caelan, is used to reference to the Seven skies and with that, God. When to use an a in front is unknown.

evar: Protected - Adjective only, not a perfect tense

hileia: Peace. - Has no plural

hiylu: Health / spirit

sirame: Honour and connection to the forest. - Has no plural

I also like the word Vileyah, but I was been planning a suffix for the respectful tense (just like japanese has honorifics like -chan, -san and -sensei. The reason I'm on the fence is... language says a lot about a culture.

VonEbs: As far as I can tell, the elves didn't have the theta sound (th). Sorry. :\

I'm also hesitant about 'sh', just as a general pondering.

Acaelan ahereh naean'leh, lirran - Skies favor you, friends!

((Does the elven language have a system of root words than various suffix/prefix to make new words? (ex in english: to,into or encourage,discourage)

if so,we should make a comprehensive list of the suffixes and prefixes.then all we need to do is make base words,this makes fleshing out vocabulary much easier :) ))

I'm essentially pronouncing

Velulaei/ Veh-Loo-Lah-Eih.

Eih being derived from how weird but awesome Age of Empire's sprites sound when you order them to move about. If you can't really grasp how it would sound, try say "Yay" except make the start sound more of an "E". So...E-yay really quickly.

Velulaei. c:

id like to possibly record some spoken samples,and help with this,does anyone know a recording program that i could use?

id like to possibly record some spoken samples,and help with this,does anyone know a recording program that i could use?

[same here! Try using Audacity. Just google it, should be the first link.]

Well, if others are going to deal with pronunciation that's one less thing for me to deal with.

Remember to talk all LotC-elfish at minecon for maximum RP cred!

I can imagine it already.

"Hail valah Notch,

We bring great welcome from Lotc, we of the Lotc Elves have come to

Minecon for [state purpose here.]

It is our honor to be graced with your presence."

Translate please? D: I'm not the best at Elven. ;~; I'll try to pronounce the sentences and post them somewhere if possible. I don't think I'll make it to minecon though, since I'm not free to fly over. :S

((Does the elven language have a system of root words than various suffix/prefix to make new words? (ex in english: to,into or encourage,discourage)

if so,we should make a comprehensive list of the suffixes and prefixes.then all we need to do is make base words,this makes fleshing out vocabulary much easier :) ))

this never got answered and i feel the need to ask again,lol))

guesse so

I can imagine it already.

"Hail valah Notch,

We bring great welcome from Lotc, we of the Lotc Elves have come to

Minecon for [state purpose here.]

It is our honor to be graced with your presence."

Translate please? D: I'm not the best at Elven. ;~; I'll try to pronounce the sentences and post them somewhere if possible. I don't think I'll make it to minecon though, since I'm not free to fly over. :S

That'd be a heck of a lot of translating, most of which doesn't even exist yet.

Try going with a 'Ame nae'leh evareh, lirr' as a pretty common Elven saying. The true LoC'rs will understand. Notch won't, so tell him it means whatever you want it to mean ;)

this never got answered and i feel the need to ask again,lol))

Oh, yeah, the truth is I don't know. The existence of affixes should probably be done by someone with authority, as they become really important to form new words. However, because these are so grammar-bound it will also require a lot of work and careful consideration.

However, I don't even know if the language WILL have these kinds of affixes (probably will, though). They will be introduced alongside general purpose words.

guesse so

Hmm?

((i support this! i'm glad orcs have our own ever-growing language and i feel it brings us closer together and i think yall would also benefit within your race to have your own language. Now for the dwarfies to get their own language so we can all make fun of the uumies for being so unoriginal;P when we were developing our words i said i like to call my home "blarg" and it was added to the language:D))

Guess someone who is going to Minecon say something to Notch in Elven? Durzio? You going to minecon? Oh. I've been trying to pronounce these words into sentences as much as I can. Still practicing. :S I keep getting certain pronunciation wrong.

Is there any like...kinda sound to certain words you think might sound like? For example words like "kaean'leh evareh" What do you think the "Kaean'leh" would sound like? The Evareh to me kinda feels like a E-Vah-ray. But a little more exaggeration on the ray to make the end sound like it ends with a "H".

For now, Kaean'leh to me is Ka-e-an'lei.

So I keep trying to say it quickly, Ka-e-an'lei e-vah-ray. [The an'lei has a extremely short unnoticeable pause that can be heard, when said even quickly you can hear the clear distinction that there is two separate words there.]

Guess someone who is going to Minecon say something to Notch in Elven? Durzio? You going to minecon? Oh. I've been trying to pronounce these words into sentences as much as I can. Still practicing. :S I keep getting certain pronunciation wrong.

Is there any like...kinda sound to certain words you think might sound like? For example words like "kaean'leh evareh" What do you think the "Kaean'leh" would sound like? The Evareh to me kinda feels like a E-Vah-ray. But a little more exaggeration on the ray to make the end sound like it ends with a "H".

For now, Kaean'leh to me is Ka-e-an'lei.

So I keep trying to say it quickly, Ka-e-an'lei e-vah-ray. [The an'lei has a extremely short unnoticeable pause that can be heard, when said even quickly you can hear the clear distinction that there is two separate words there.]

((id love to go to minecon,but no i am not.)) sounds like you have it correct to me pronounciation-wise.

Oh, yeah, the truth is I don't know. The existence of affixes should probably be done by someone with authority, as they become really important to form new words. However, because these are so grammar-bound it will also require a lot of work and careful consideration.

However, I don't even know if the language WILL have these kinds of affixes (probably will, though). They will be introduced alongside general purpose words.

i have been working on a rough sketch for how affixes should work,with prefixes like adjectives (based from the word Ah) and with suffixes as modifiers.id like everyones opionion on it,and feel free to add it to canon if you like it:

AFFIXES-(since not all affixes will match up seamlessly to words,they have two different forms.the first is for connecting (whether prefix or suffix) to a vowel sound (sound,as in syllable,not letter,this language is mostly spoken afterall) and the second in parenthesis is for constanant sounds.)

SUFFIXES:MODIFIERS-these change the meaning of a word.

-non (-anon) this suffix indicates the meaning of the word is actually opposite. for instance:ento is next,but Entonon would be Previous(ly),or Beforehand.or if Urak is orc,then Urakanon is not an orc,or Unlike an Orc.

PREFIXES:ENHANCERS-these change the feeling of a word.

Mak- (ma-) this prefix annotation is simalar to and exclamation point,or words like "very" in english.for instance: aher nae is bless you,but Maher nae is something like Bless you very much,or Great Blessings upon you.and while Ayla is good,Makayla is Very good :) Mamali would be Very Elf-like,and so on.

COMBINATIONS:

example of combinations: Mabortunon Nae. this sentence should mean something along the lines of "how very unlike a dwarf of you",or "how very unlike a dwarf you are" although to understand perfectly,the context of a conversation is somewhat needed.

adding these two types of Affixes allows the speaker to get much more emotion and feeling into a conversation,without interupting the flow of the tongue,which is how mostly spoken languages develop naturally. no extra words are needed so sentences are not extremely lengthy to get a single point across. obviously more affixes will need to be made,but i feel like this is a good start,as it gives a good feel to help those who wish to add more. this also helps flesh out the somewhat tiny vocabulary quickly and i feel as though this adds some of the much desired Depth to the language.let me know your opinions.be brutal. haha *sweatdrop*

Edit:suggested word of the day!

ehya=and

I like the "Word of the day" thing. :P But yeah, it'd be great if we could re-write up an entire language and to speed up the process, use another language as like support or where to get our ideas from. If you do, please state where you got your inspiration from if possible. The meaning and uses of the words as well. As Elven Language I would expect there to be different tones used to mean different things. Kinda like Sarcasm but much more...I don't know how would I describe it. :S