Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

I think the elven font style of the seriphs is correct, but it would be more handritten in a way that looks like the humans' font you selected. Elvish writing should be very loose and flowy and can be abused by elves writing quickly such that is looks like a scribble.

I disagree,the elves are very long lived.they've had hundreds and hundreds of years to perfect their handwriting even when rushed.there agile hands are good for aiming arrows as well as pens,

Humans on the other hand only get about 80ish years to learn to write,they would focus more on content than astetics,while elves have so much time they can focus on both.

*after seeing hte message, he looks through a library, his finger lands on the spine of a old, withered, book.

I have some base phrases in here... itsd a old family heirloom.

Cai, or Car, is a general greeting.

Evil, or Beastly, is Aelor.

The undead, in this book, are reffered to as the Lalaer, but they are also known as Byrpaer.

Ascended,are known as Eiraelaer, or Aholaer.

I have a few pieces, in here, which i will show later.

*after seeing hte message, he looks through a library, his finger lands on the spine of a old, withered, book.

The undead, in this book, are reffered to as the Lalaer, but they are also known as Byrpaer.

((im not sure if i like the feel of these words they dont seem to flow very well like the rest of the words.hmm,if i had to place it id say the syllables sound too hard.

also sporadic: -yem (-hyem): indicates a verb is done for the second(or further) time i.e. meet again,knocked again,etc. <-you didnt add the definition lol))

edit: Word of the day :D

Taeyulaei

definition: Sun.

pronunciation: tie-You-lie-ee (like Velulaei,vel-Loo-lie-ee)

inspiration:Velulaei,the word for moon;and Taiyou,the japenese word for sun.

extrapolation:i made the words for moon and sun similar,just antonyms.but the word for moon is also the name of the dark elves' goddess(who is the moon technically) if dark elves (at least the ones in aegis) worship the moon,are there any elves that worship the sun? then it would make sense that these two names are similar,because that would mean this word is the name of some kind of sun god,yet undiscovered,left behind by the elves of ancient. a very nice lore find,indeed. of course this is all speculation. could just be the sun :P

EDIT 2.0!: Word of the Day :D AGAIN

Aca-/(Ac-)

Definition: Cursed. this could be in a sense of Despising the person, provoking angry emotions;or in a literal sense,provoking pity.

Pronunciation: by making the Ah sound,then ending it with a k,almost a phlemy sound.

inspiration: considering the elven language is very flowy,and rolls off the tongue,this might seem out of place until you realize its an insult. you make the sound by beginning to make the Blessed suffix,then choking it,so its really an insult to the ears,as well as to the person.

Extrapolation:the constanont form is Aca,for example Aca'bortu which translated to Cursed Dwarf,or Stupid Dwarf,etc.

the vowel form is Ac'uruk (Cursed orc)

its not nessacarily an insult directed specifically at intelligence,it just means you really dont enjoy this persons company.

where as Blessed might be some kind of reverence,this is more of finding someone despicable.

like an acsended (ah-) to an undead (ac-). its not an insult to be thrown about lightly.

Amazing. Just amazing. Sporadic, I sent you a PM about my plans and I wonder if you would agree to it or not...? Just dropped by to check in on the post and just really...wow. It took people forever to develop an entire language and here we are just building one up. Even if it was built from another language or creative thinking and word placements.

Amazing. Just amazing. Sporadic, I sent you a PM about my plans and I wonder if you would agree to it or not...? Just dropped by to check in on the post and just really...wow. It took people forever to develop an entire language and here we are just building one up. Even if it was built from another language or creative thinking and word placements.

((Actually my Latin teacher from back when I was in high school said languages are made,developed and maintained something like this nowadays.the Spanish language officials (whoever they are lol) have meetings every 6 years or so to revise it,even if they usually keep it about the same (most changes are with grammar)

So were just progressing slightly faster than professional linguists.were still bad-ass.haha.

But yes,good work everyone,let's not slow down now! Well be speaking elven in no time!))

I would agree with my colleague here, to say that these words are divisive with the findings we have so far. Considering them, mostly they seem proper, however. My main objection is that the Elves would have no words for either Undead or Ascended, as their arrival into Aegis was long after the Elven language vanished into obscurity.

To venture a guess, I would assume the Elves would refer to anything undead (and perhaps Ascended or holy as well) as certain flavors of 'unnatural'. It would be in harmony with the roots of their culture.

Rivell's quill leaves the parchment for a second, tucking it between dry lips.

You have inspired me. Your further contributions will be most welcome, and I will look over your other findings at the earliest opportunity.

Yup, got you a reply!

((

Updated!

I slightly changed Ac and Ah to give them no direct meaning, in accordance with my newfound 'unnatural' idea for undead. I'm thinking Elves have a lot of words that all mean 'natural' and 'unnatural' in a way, since it really reflects their culture.

I'm not adding Taeyulaei yet as there's no lore background. Velulaei has a place in lore, provided by myself (yeah I know :P). Adding lore is always difficult as nobody but GMs have a free pass for this stuff, meaning we'd have to justify it ICly through RP. We can start by coming up with a good story, probably including them being brother and sister (or even sisters, to hell with old mythology always making the sun a dude) and maybe gruesome betrayal of a sort.)

Connor's words were taken into consideration. Us 4, as self-appointed 'keepers' of the language, should be very open to other contributions, but I'm finding it's hard for posters to immerse into our line of thoughts without reading lots of stuff.

It's something we're going to work on. I definitely don't want to discourage outside contributions, and hope people will continue to help in such a way. However, I'm swiping the words for Undead and Ascended for the prior reasons, as well as Cai, because elves greeting each other with an Elvish equivalent of 'Hey' just doesn't feel graceful enough.

Aelor will probably be added in the next update.

))

((

Updated!

I slightly changed Ac and Ah to give them no direct meaning, in accordance with my newfound 'unnatural' idea for undead. I'm thinking Elves have a lot of words that all mean 'natural' and 'unnatural' in a way, since it really reflects their culture.

I'm not adding Taeyulaei yet as there's no lore background. Velulaei has a place in lore, provided by myself (yeah I know :P). Adding lore is always difficult as nobody but GMs have a free pass for this stuff, meaning we'd have to justify it ICly through RP. We can start by coming up with a good story, probably including them being brother and sister (or even sisters, to hell with old mythology always making the sun a dude) and maybe gruesome betrayal of a sort.)

Connor's words were taken into consideration. Us 4, as self-appointed 'keepers' of the language, should be very open to other contributions, but I'm finding it's hard for posters to immerse into our line of thoughts without reading lots of stuff.

It's something we're going to work on. I definitely don't want to discourage outside contributions, and hope people will continue to help in such a way. However, I'm swiping the words for Undead and Ascended for the prior reasons, as well as Cai, because elves greeting each other with an Elvish equivalent of 'Hey' just doesn't feel graceful enough.

Aelor will probably be added in the next update.

))

((it was rather meant just to be a word for the sun for now,haha,i just thought celestial bodies would have similar names.maybe ill write up a few drafts as to why the dark elves worship the moon and the significance of the sun in that.sounds like a fun story to write,betrayal of two sisters,and please keep the input coming,Elven community,just rememnber that the Stress tends to be on the Second Syllable,sounds are very pleasing to the ear,and have a natural flow (because it developed orally) and try to learn the affixes system/sentence structure.then youll have it in no time :D ))

((it was rather meant just to be a word for the sun for now,haha,i just thought celestial bodies would have similar names.maybe ill write up a few drafts as to why the dark elves worship the moon and the significance of the sun in that.sounds like a fun story to write,betrayal of two sisters,and please keep the input coming,Elven community,just rememnber that the Stress tends to be on the Second Syllable,sounds are very pleasing to the ear,and have a natural flow (because it developed orally) and try to learn the affixes system/sentence structure.then youll have it in no time :D ))

((What you have the understand that the Elven religion are the drui, an ancient order who worship the Aspects, aka 'Nature in avatar form' (quote from the wiki). That means that Elven words like Sun will immediately be the name of an aspect. Inventing words for Sun, Flora, Fauna, or indeed anything related to nature will mean creating the name of a diety.

This particular language phenomenon occurs in most polytheistic cultures. It would only make sense elvish will have the same.

But hey, I'm more than up for creating some mythology involving the elven sisters Moon and Sun. The only problem will be getting it official.))

((What you have the understand that the Elven religion are the drui, an ancient order who worship the Aspects, aka 'Nature in avatar form' (quote from the wiki). That means that Elven words like Sun will immediately be the name of an aspect. Inventing words for Sun, Flora, Fauna, or indeed anything related to nature will mean creating the name of a diety.

This particular language phenomenon occurs in most polytheistic cultures. It would only make sense elvish will have the same.

But hey, I'm more than up for creating some mythology involving the elven sisters Moon and Sun. The only problem will be getting it official.))

((hmm,I'll have to see what I can do,to try and get some official lore written,if not by me then someone else,so these words can be filled.all for the sake of the language XD))

((dont got anything to add so far but this language is really aswsome I've been using it in game a lot now. (I keep a printed copy of the words on a paper by the computer.)So thanks))

((dont got anything to add so far but this language is really aswsome I've been using it in game a lot now. (I keep a printed copy of the words on a paper by the computer.)So thanks))

That's what we aim to do! :) we want to have a language you can use on a regular basis.

I discovered recently a piece of ancient elvish writing that was illustrated, so it became reasonably easy for me to understand that it was about timekeeping.

Firstly I'll just review that karinah means day, but also sunrise. Likewise ker means night and sunset.

Now, a new preffix is tal'- (tali-)

It depicts part of the whole it is attached to. Tal'- (always used with an apostrophe) literally means "part of..."

e.g tal'ame means part of the forest

Tali- is never used with an apostrophe and creates a noun.

e.g taliame means tree

So with the use of tali- the cycle of a passing is divided into four sections.

Karinah - sunrise

Talikarinah - high noon

Ker - sunset

Taliker - highest moon

The illustrations showed that clocks were made using the sun and moon's shadows, much like a sundial. It was known by the elves that the position of the sun was not always equal to the position of the moon, however time was still measured by the approximate position of these shadows.

90 minutes on our clock face was one talima and time was kept as a number of talima after a section of the day in the elvish sentence structure: part of day-number-talima.

EDIT: now with translated numbers we can properly depict time the Elven way.

e.g. Karinah oem {one} talima is approximately 90 minutes past sunrise.

e.g. Ker niut {two} talima is approximately 180 minutes after sunset and about mid-way between sunset and highest moon.

EDIT: Because the minecraft day is 20 minutes Karinah is 0:00 and Talikarinah is 5 minutes into the day. Therefore if my math is correct, a talima is every 75 seconds.

Heya' (always used with an apostrophe) is a question. It is used for all: what, how, who etc being followed by the subject in question.

Heya'mali would be which elf... (as in who did this? 'This' would need to be specified otherwise the sentence is incomplete.)

Heya'tal'karinah is what time of day?

As used in conversation, someone could ask Heya'tal'ker - what time of night? and be answered Taliker hael talima - three periods of 90 minutes after high moon, therefore it is close to sunrise.

Also Sporadic, if you are adding more to the front post can you start organising the words that are there into groups rather than alphabetical order? For me personally it would make it easier to find the word I desire quickly.

I discovered recently a piece of ancient elvish writing that was illustrated, so it became reasonably easy for me to understand that it was about timekeeping.

Firstly I'll just review that karinah means day, but also sunrise. Likewise ker means night and sunset.

Now, a new preffix is tal'- (tali-)

It depicts part of the whole it is attached to. Tal'- (always used with an apostrophe) literally means "part of..."

e.g tal'ame means part of the forest

Tali- is never used with an apostrophe and creates a noun.

e.g taliame means tree

So with the use of tali- the cycle of a passing is divided into four sections.

Karinah - sunrise

Talikarinah - high noon

Ker - sunset

Taliker - highest moon

The illustrations showed that clocks were made using the sun and moon's shadows, much like a sundial. It was known by the elves that the position of the sun was not always equal to the position of the moon, however time was still measured by the approximate position of these shadows.

90 minutes on our clock face was one talima and time was kept as a number of talima after a section of the day in the elvish sentence structure: part of day-number-talima.

Because noone has yet discovered an accurate system of counting I will replace what should be elven numbers with enlgish for the timebeing.

e.g. Karinah "one" talima is approximately 90 minutes past sunrise.

e.g. Ker "two" talima is approximately 180 minutes after sunset and about mid-way between sunset and highest moon.

EDIT: Because the minecraft day is 20 minutes Karinah is 0:00 and Talikarinah is 5 minutes into the day. Therefore if my math is correct, a talima is every 75 seconds.

Heya' (always used with an apostrophe) is a question. It is used for all: what, how, who etc being followed by the subject in question.

Heya'mali would be which elf... (as in who did this? 'This' would need to be specified otherwise the sentence is incomplete.)

Heya'tal'karinah is what time of day?

As used in conversation, someone could ask Heya'tal'ker - what time of night? and be answered Taliker "three" talima - three periods of 90 minutes after high moon, therefore it is close to sunrise.

Also Sporadic, if you are adding more to the front post can you start organising the words that are there into groups rather than alphabetical order? For me personally it would make it easier to find the word I desire quickly.

((Most of this is decent,but could use some revision in my opinion. I'm still somewhat confused about the clock system your proposing,can you make it more clear?

Also I feel as though the language will need all of the question words (i.e. Who/what/when/were/why) simply because it's rather confusing for most people as is.we want to make it difficult but not impossible. I'll admit I just fast-read this,because I need to leave for work. I'll read it more throughly when I get off (7hours or so from now).see you then!))