Techlock Armaments Tier-List Patch 1.0 - Bows Galore!

DISCOLIQUID

Hey guys! Just ranking all of the now lore-limited armaments for you guys so you don’t make the mistake of roleplaying a weapon or armor that is terrible in CRP and wasting your time.

Blowgun – A-

- 2 emotes to use. One to load, one to fire.

- Darts are capable of shallowly piercing skin, yet incapable of piercing much more than 2 layers of cloth, no less armor.

- Poisons on blowgun darts must be ST approved.

- 15 block range.

- Usable on horseback.

As we can see, the Blowgun comes in strong as the first 2-emoter in the weapons mix. Emotes are an easy way to check the balance of a weapon; in general, the shorter the emotes, the stronger the weapon. Obviously the blowdart has the weakness of not being to pierce armor, but keep in mind that your strategy with this weapon should be to load the weapon somewhere out of sight, probably in #q as it is a simple enough motion to hide, and then to surprise fire on someone. This #q emote, fire in #rp is a strong pathway to use the blowdart, as it will even allow you with an unpoisoned bolt to shoot someone right in the eyeball. The 15 block range fits neatly outside of the 8 block #q range, so feel free to go absolutely nuts with this one!

Hand Crossbow – B

- 3 emotes to use. One to pull back the string, one to load in the bolt and aim, and one to fire the bolt.

- 10-150lb draw weight.

- Bolts are capable of deeply piercing the skin, and embedding into bone, though able to be stopped by gambesons or chainmail.

- 45 block range.

- Usable on horseback.

The hand crossbow is a staple enough of a weapon, but keep in mind that with three emotes taken to load this heavy weapon, you are likely going to encounter some resistance via shields or dodging if you aren’t sneaky with it. The 45 block range means that you can load up, aim, and fire your bolt outside of the #rp chat distance, so feel free to perch yourself on a roof with no intent of letting someone else see your emotes, only to snipe them down with the very last emote you PM them. Very cool! Using this weapon on horseback is okay, try to pair it with a shield as that’s going to raise the chance that you aren’t distracted or hit while loading your weapon. You’re going to be best with a hand crossbow picking people off from outside of their render distance than getting in close, but that’s just what we call combat role-play here on Lord of the Craft!

Sling – B

- 2 emotes to use in short range. One emote to load the sling ammo, and one to throw it. 3 emotes to use in long range. One emote to load the sling ammo, one emote to swing the sling, and one emote to throw the sling ammo.

- Standard stones are capable of fracturing bone or bruising muscle. Metal sling bullets are capable of breaking bones and embedding shallowly into the skin. Incapable of -piercing armor, though capable of translating concussive force into non padded areas.

- 10 blocks as short range, 45 blocks max range.

- Usable on horseback.

Well, this weapon used to be called the mage killer, but there’s literally no point in using one of these unless you’re in close range now. From close range, you might be able to break some bones, but the relatively obvious nature of winding up a sling makes it unlikely your opponent isn’t queuing up some type of dodging emote. If you’re fighting someone who is otherwise immobile or slow, while also not wearing armor, the Sling is a monster in its own right as long as you have metal bullets. 

Shortbow – B-

- 3 emotes to use. One emote to knock the arrow, one emote to pull back the bowstring, and one emote to fire. 

-20-80lb draw weight.

- Arrows are capable of piercing into the skin and embedding into bone, though able to be stopped by gambeson and chainmail.

- 40 block range.

- Usable on horseback.

This is a shame, as it’s strictly worse than the hand-crossbow. You may be able to hide your loading up of it, but likely not. If you are going to use this weapon, I wouldn’t unless you are trying to achieve a specific goal – like flaming arrows. See the hand-crossbow above for a better weapon.

Crank Crossbow – D-

- 4 emotes to use. One emote to attach the crank, one emote to pull and then remove the crank, one emote to load the bolt, and then one emote to fire the bolt.

- 80-500lb draw weight.

- Bolts are capable of piercing into the skin and even through bone. Is capable of piercing gambeson, though not able to consistently pierce chainmail.

- 40 block range.

- Not usable on horseback.

Easily one of the worst weapons. There is no reason to use this weapon what-so-ever. Not only are you unable to use this weapon on a horse, it is likely too heavy to use with a shield. The weapon might pierce gambeson, but after the techlock posts, characters will not be wearing gambeson when they can use chainmail just as easily. You should expect other players to make informed decisions about their armor when you are fighting them in long-term CRP, and as far as a sneaky weapon goes you should just use the shorter loading speed of a hand-crossbow. This is a disappointing design. 

Recurve Bow – A

- 3 emotes to use. One emote to knock the arrow, one emote to pull back the bowstring, and one emote to fire. 

- 60-120lb draw weight.

- Arrows are capable of piercing into the skin, and even through bone. Is capable of consistently piercing mail and chainmail, though able to be stopped by specialized anti-arrow armor, such as leather with silk vests.

- 40 block range,

- Able to be strikingly accurate in ranges of less than 15 blocks.

- Usable on horseback.

Now this is a weapon! While you may struggle to RP a shield with this, you can always strap a small one to your arm. The recurve bow is your weapon of choice for nearly every strategy. You can shoot people down from the top of roofs without being in #rp loading distance, ride on horseback while peppering people with a 3 emote firing-time, and within 15 blocks just feel free to emote “Johnny Snipes smirks, within the killzone – he aims for the head”. There’s only one weapon more powerful than this – expect to see a lot of anti-arrow armor being crafted in these coming weeks!

Flatbow – A-

- 50-110lb draw weight.

- Arrows are capable of piercing into the skin, and even through bone. Is capable of consistently piercing mail and chainmail, though able to be stopped by specialized anti arrow armor, such as leather with silk vests.

- 48 block range.

- Impractical for horseback.

Nearly identical to the Recurve Bow, you trade 8 blocks of range for the inability to use it on horseback. If you aren’t going to be a cavalry archer, you may find some niche benefit to using this, but the Recurve Bow will always do more damage within 15 blocks.

Longbow – A

- 60-180lb draw weight.

- Arrows are capable of piercing into the skin, and even through bone. Is capable of consistently piercing mail and chainmail, and are capable of denting armors such as lamellar, or the thinner plates of plate armor.

- 48 block range.

- Impractical for horseback.

Now, the horseback drawback feels bad, but you might be lucky to find someone who is dumb enough to call their armor lamellar instead of just saying it’s the best grade steel available like everyone else is going to do. On those people, you can blast them down with confidence knowing that you pulled the best weapons from the tier list, and they just didn’t have the guts to do that with their armor.

Arbalest – C

- 5 emotes to use. One to attach the windlass, one to crank the windlass, one to loosen the windlass and remove it, one to load the bolt and aim, and one to fire.

- 700-2,000lb draw weight.

- Bolts are capable of piercing into, and through unarmored targets, and are capable of consistently piercing through chainmail and gambeson, and are capable of consistently warping or slightly puncturing lamellar or thinner plates of plate armor, and even denting thicker sections of plate armor.

- 48 block range.

- Obviously, not usable on horseback.

Seeing as I can name the amount of times I have fought someone wearing ‘Lamellar’ on 0 fingers, and who is going to emote their plate armor being ‘thin’, you should just read this weapon as a slower Longbow. On the off chance you are literally in the monty-python scene where some knight takes five whole emotes to get over to you and you can shoot his leg, you might find some use from this weak weapon. 

Mounted Crossbow – A+

- Requires a prebuilt MC build of a  mounted crossbow to use.

- Takes 6 emotes to use with one person, yet 3 emotes with 2 people working together.

- 2.000-5,000lb draw weight.

- Bolts are capable of piercing into and through lightly armored targets, and is capable of consistently piercing into platemail.

- 48 block range.

- Requires line of site from its mounted place, and cannot be moved unless built on top of a cart.

Now THIS is a weapon! Yes, you need pesky line of sight, but you literally always need line of sight to operate ranged weaponry. Feel free to litter your cities with a design of one of these, and be confident that you will be able to utterly destroy anyone you do CRP with. The only downside is that 2 people working together likely means you’re raiding at that point, so make sure you have trojan-horsed your Mounted Crossbow in through a ‘Wandering Trader’s Cart’. However, for events, this weapon reigns supreme. Just roll out that cart and go to town! A weapon that can pierce platemail is not going to be dodgeable, so unless someone sees you loading this and starts to hide, a shot is a kill most likely.

Credits:

- Auric_Saint

Hmm it looks as if staff truly thought this through with a long review process based on countless amounts of feedback from players who use each weapon and adjusting them accordingly instead of destroying years of RP.......they did do this right?     Right? 

Sling is A tier man. Fast shooting, breaking bones with proper bullets.

Blowgun is D tier- even lower if that was a possibility. Do little more than stick into people a bit.

Shortbow is under-used, though outdone by most other bows, its still viable. solid B+.

Crank crossbows are mostly hunting weapons, though are somewhat viable. Solid C tier.

I mean, this is sorta encouraging meta-gaming. The mmo meta-gaming rather than RP meta-gaming, but still.

This is weird and kind of unnecessary.

Why are you encouraging a meta of weapons?

39 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Ah yes, and here we have a wonderful example of the fabled ‘minmax’ in its natural habitat.

It’s true, some of us want the best, better than all the rest! I am glad the folks here commenting about metagaming and having a tier list are volunteering to use the lesser quality weapons that just aren’t as effective. God knows I won’t! It’s important that some folks step up and pick weaponry that is outright bad, otherwise we would all just be using the same busted Recurve Bow.

Johnny Snipes waits for a poor sap to enter the kill zone.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. The mindset behind this in the context of a cooperative roleplay environment is genuinely disgusting; I know it’s always been a problem, case in point OG necromancy being the ‘top tier’ combat magic which people sought out solely for power, but YOU making this is highly uncharacteristic. Please don’t encourage this **** if you are being serious (which, again, I can’t tell and my apologies if you are just trolling and I’m gullible).

reaching the top of the lord of the craft metagame by converting my character’s halberd into a gigantic blowgun

I just use a sword and activate Garen’s ultimate ability to ******* nuke kids off the map just like that. 

11 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. The mindset behind this in the context of a cooperative roleplay environment is genuinely disgusting; I know it’s always been a problem, case in point OG necromancy being the ‘top tier’ combat magic which people sought out solely for power, but YOU making this is highly uncharacteristic. Please don’t encourage this **** if you are being serious (which, again, I can’t tell and my apologies if you are just trolling and I’m gullible).

No, I really hope we don’t keep these techlock weapon designs because of how obviously better some of these weapons are than others. As it was before these posts, most people just threw three emotes behind projectiles, bow and crossbow alike, and called it a day. No one shot at each other from fourty+ blocks unless they were in an event. Having the techlock level of specificity that certain weapons are just flat out better like the recurve bow is just going to lead to emotes like Johnny Snipes laughing at fools entering the kill-zone.

also recurve bows do not pierce chainmail, arrow/bolt kinetic energy is quadratically proportional to draw length (so longbows are typically more powerful than crossbows per pound of draw weight), and slings are much, much more powerful than this lore seems to think they are (that “concussive force” from a sling bullet travelling at 90 mph will warp your armor, break your bones, or kill you depending on its target)

lord of the craft probably didn’t need a combat meta and it certainly doesn’t need one that’s just plain inaccurate

28 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

You guys wrote this lore lol. DiscoLiquid made fun of it by assigning weapons tiers, but the weirdly gameified combat weapon lore already existed

I think you’re ignoring the stealth value of having a collapsible covered wagon drive-by fire at targets. Or, by coordinating Polish wagon fortresses with superheavy crossbows, we can effectively annihilate armies in the field by simply volleying them with scorpion bolts.

1 hour ago, tasty_cheesecake said:

I think you’re ignoring the stealth value of having a collapsible covered wagon drive-by fire at targets. Or, by coordinating Polish wagon fortresses with superheavy crossbows, we can effectively annihilate armies in the field by simply volleying them with scorpion bolts.

Wow, yeah. Imagine a team of 5 IRP 3 Horse-Archers & 2 Wagonmen on the roads – not technically a toll road, executing mass kidnappings!

Tbf slings do deserve a better rating, their versatility is unmatched where they should be at least High B – Low A tier.

Love the intent of this post and I do understand the frustrations demonstrated. There are a few obvious tweaks done, but the ranges are capped at shout+render distance. Emote counts aren’t the issue, just the defining of certain armors and their actual damage is the issue. Though having an actual flat out reference for people to utilise in CRP is something the server does desperately need. Because I’ve came across people in events who think they can shoot 90 blocks + with crossbows and things like that accurately, or being able to instantly pierce through basically anything.

I really love that humans developed an entire culture around crossbows. Only for staff to say LOL and nerf them into ******* oblivion.