Junar

Just now, J33xt101 said:

😉

no.

mountains

44 minutes ago, J33xt101 said:

You and what army? 

Me.

Shame that this map is probably gonna get poor reception when it releases because we’ve been struggling to create environments that aren’t just “tree but bigger!” or a lack of proper communication between LT and WT to create minor, yet tasteful touches that can encourage things like archaeology roleplay. I’m not trying to be a debbie downer, but 7.0’s trailer got the same type of initial reception, yet views have been critical on the map since about 5 months into it. I really hope that this isn’t what happens and we’re finally able to pull it off after 2 years of subpar maps, but I’ve got to keep my expectations low due to the precedent.

looks great. my only request is that before the world team decides nation/city placements we have an open community discussion about it, so we don’t have any more ring road rigamarole

1 hour ago, GrowUpNotFunny said:

Shame that this map is probably gonna get poor reception when it releases because we’ve been struggling to create environments that aren’t just “tree but bigger!” or a lack of proper communication between LT and WT to create minor, yet tasteful touches that can encourage things like archaeology roleplay. I’m not trying to be a debbie downer, but 7.0’s trailer got the same type of initial reception, yet views have been critical on the map since about 5 months into it. I really hope that this isn’t what happens and we’re finally able to pull it off after 2 years of subpar maps, but I’ve got to keep my expectations low due to the precedent.

Any single story team member could have made it their pet project to go build little event sites. In fact, a few of them are doing that (sort of) with Nodes, areas you can go to get magical materials.

Unfortunately, as a team, ST choose to write bloviating 1000-word entries about metals and what technology you can and can’t roleplay instead of fleshing out the map. These are the priorities the team has chosen. It’s a lot to ask to have “minor, yet tasteful touches” that reference the lore, when most of the lore is too incoherent to reference.

You’re not wrong that these maps usually turn out featureless, but it’s not because of a “lack of LT-WT communication” it’s because Telanir butchered the event team and the story team is not interested in the map. There is no one with the understanding of LoTC’s confusing mishmash of canon lore who’s simultaneously interested in building landmarks.

13 minutes ago, howard said:

looks great. my only request is that before the world team decides nation/city placements we have an open community discussion about it, so we don’t have any more ring road rigamarole

any single story team member could have made it their pet project to go build little event sites. but they don’t, because they’d rather write bloviating 1000-word entries about metals and what technology you can and can’t roleplay. you’re not wrong that these maps usually turn out featureless but it’s not because of a “lack of LT-WT communication” it’s because telanir butchered the event team and the story team is completely useless

Lack of LT-WT communication is one of the many problems that plague the map-making process for some time now. I mention that specifically because of Xarkly’s difficulty in getting his original event line going (the antagonistic voice that was heard in the 7.0 Map Trailer) due to a lack of communication and insufficient resources to pull it off, which is upsetting since Xarkly’s been a trooper for the ET for years now. I personally dislike World Events and I don’t think they should be the precedent for what ET has to offer, but Xarkly made an effort with his writing and unique plans for 7.0, and that’s what matters. I agree with you in the regard that Telanir’s plans with LT and ET are far from ideal, but I disagree with your stance on Story Team neglecting the effort. 7.0 wasn’t a priority for LT/ET world building as far as I know and trying to save an already disliked map far into its tenure through lore implementations won’t fix the initial experiences players had with it. A good map doesn’t need to necessarily start or end strong, but I believe it should hold some weight that can make the experiences memorable. Arcas isn’t a bad map, in my opinion. It’s a bland map that could have been saved if there was more communication and collaboration between ET/LT and WT to lay down solid lore for the map and build off of it in experiences that could make the map special in its own way. 

1 minute ago, GrowUpNotFunny said:

Lack of LT-WT communication is one of the many problems that plague the map-making process for some time now. I mention that specifically because of Xarkly’s difficulty in getting his original event line going (the antagonistic voice that was heard in the 7.0 Map Trailer) due to a lack of communication and insufficient resources to pull it off, which is upsetting since Xarkly’s been a trooper for the ET for years now. I personally dislike World Events and I don’t think they should be the precedent for what ET has to offer, but Xarkly made an effort with his writing and unique plans for 7.0, and that’s what matters. I agree with you in the regard that Telanir’s plans with LT and ET are far from ideal, but I disagree with your stance on Story Team neglecting the effort. 7.0 wasn’t a priority for LT/ET world building as far as I know and trying to save an already disliked map far into its tenure through lore implementations won’t fix the initial experiences players had with it. A good map doesn’t need to necessarily start or end strong, but I believe it should hold some weight that can make the experiences memorable. Arcas isn’t a bad map, in my opinion. It’s a bland map that could have been saved if there was more communication and collaboration between ET/LT and WT to lay down solid lore for the map and build off of it in experiences that could make the map special in its own way. 

My position is that the ST/LT/whatever wastes an enormous amount of effort by telling instead of showing. Where more confident storytellers would throw a new magical creature/place/material into the world and then oversee players’ interactions with it, our Story Writers pen thousands of words of needless exposition for every single thing.

The lore management, and to some extent the community, demand tedious “redlines” be written for every lore piece to tie up all loose ends and ensure no one can use it to gain an advantage. This is a huge waste of everyone’s time, and it makes most players unwilling to engage with the lore at all. So when you suggest the WT should “communicate” with the ST to add archaeological sites, I have to say it’s not the WT’s responsibility to write lore. They couldn’t write lore if they wanted to, because there’s an odious bureaucracy in the way.

Wow people getting hyped. Junar didn’t even show the best biomes yet. :3 – Shotout to Florensics, who world painted most of the map and holy ****, it’s amazing!

2 minutes ago, howard said:

My position is that the ST/LT/whatever wastes an enormous amount of effort by telling instead of showing. Where more confident storytellers would throw a new magical creature/place/material into the world and then oversee players’ interactions with it, our Story Writers pen thousands of words of needless exposition for every single thing.

2 minutes ago, howard said:

The lore management, and to some extent the community, demand tedious “redlines” be written for every lore piece to tie up all loose ends and ensure no one can use it to gain an advantage.

This had to happen because of a demographic of players who would abuse lore to play the server competitively and gain unfair advantages. This is why we have lore criteria, format and Staff who vote on submissions. It is not a waste of time and it’s critical to the server in its current state We’re not in 2015 anymore where Blundermore could fling orcs up 30 ft to have them fall to their deaths via Wind Evocation.

4 minutes ago, howard said:

This is a huge waste of everyone’s time, and it makes most players unwilling to engage with the lore at all. So when you suggest the WT should “communicate” with the ST to add archaeological sites, I have to say it’s not the WT’s responsibility to write lore. They couldn’t write lore if they wanted to, because there’s an odious bureaucracy in the way.

And this is one of the flaws with World Team. It should be what it states in the title. World Team. Focus on the creation of the physical map and lore laced within geography/structures that can be unraveled by players. The ideology that World Team should be builders slaving away at one time use event zones and landscars is such a close-minded and inefficient approach that scuffs the potential of what it could be. A valid counter-argument to this is the sheer amount of Staff that are on the World Team. As with many creative processes, too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the soup. I wouldn’t mind seeing World Team downsized significantly into what World Development was prior to Telanir’s staff merges, or create a fairly diverse focus group on World Team that interacts with LT/ET to sort out goals and suggestions to make the developing map a good experience. Unfortunately, a lot of staff disagree with World Team being anything more than builders. 

Looks amazing ❤️

juju on that block 

idrc about how the map looks since view distance is so small, but if there’s finally gonna be some ******* biome variation then thank you lord