My Problems with Canonism

Lojo613

2 minutes ago, ARCHITECUS said:

canonism but we still don’t have cannons? That’s fucked up

Maybe a 10th revision is in order? Eh? Or would you just have them lie about that too. (Or rather, let them.)

Edited by drfate786

9 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

Between 2019-2020, it was quite recent. It doesn’t matter either since the very foundation for the lore is and was the bible put into a tldr back in Aegis and Asulon. The first scrolls were only written by Mogroka during Anthos to give it some legitimacy since RP quality rose up back then and it wouldn’t have been as accepted.

Edit: Trying to prove or disprove any of this to you though is pointless. I know what the truth on the matter is and trying to debate it with any of you is pointless since you’ll try to devalidate it. My only assumption is that you’re trying to deceive other players and that’s just wrong.

That’s simply not true. I began writing the Holy Scrolls in 2014. The Scroll of Spirit was originally called the Scroll of Divinity, and the Scroll of Gospel was the Scroll of Attestations.

scrolls2.thumb.png.9b55c4f3a1071de94669794a420b7b04.pngscrolls3.thumb.png.1259d6a41be1e80beee59a50153a3896.pngscrolls1.thumb.png.c8bf9957d953c9e1b67a2c74f4b3812a.png

dib’s the scariest white man i know

Hey so um.

I roleplayed a Canonist nun for... oh about a year or so. And while I have my issues with Canonism, I would like to say that I think it’s some of the highest quality and most detailed lore on the server.

My issues with Canonism (at the time) mostly stemmed from my personal belief that all people ever did was log onto their priest alts for weddings/funerals and never actually attempted to spread the faith or educate the populace. Lorina – my nun – was continually shocked at how little people actually knew about Canonism despite going to war and dying for it.

My current character is not Canonist and not affiliated with the church in any way, so I can’t speak to the activities of the Canonist Faith at the moment. However, I do see people consistently roleplaying priest characters and often posting theses here on the forums, so it seems to me like Canonism is being taken a lot more seriously than it was back in my day. That’s cool!

I realize there’s a lot of contention on the server about how much influence Oren takes from real-life history and real-life religion. And I don’t fault people for wanting fantasy in their fantasy server. However, I think there should be a place on the server for all kinds of different fantasy RP – including roleplay that is more low-fantasy and historically inspired. I love the way the Holy Scrolls are written and I think it captures the mood of Biblical prose without necessarily copying it wholesale. There’s nothing wrong with being influenced by real life when you’re writing lore. In fact, I think it’s a good idea to take inspiration from real life because the RP lore then feels more realistic, well reasoned, and grounded. That is, at least, my opinion. 

Oren has always had a focus on low-fantasy, historically-inspired roleplay – which honestly I appreciate and prefer. And many people feel the same way.

I think people on the server need to take a more live-and-let-live approach to RP. I’m not really into magic-heavy, high fantasy RP. That’s fine. I’ll stick with the more grounded and historical-inspired RP in Oren. It doesn’t mean that I want the high-fantasy stuff to stop existing. And if people prefer the high-fantasy stuff, good for them! They’re allowed to enjoy that. It’s just not for me.

But the reverse ought to also be true – where people should be accepting of more historically influenced, low-fantasy RP too, even if that’s not their particular preference.

Just my two cents.

I’m rather confused, you want the staff to intervene and do something ooc’ly about an rp religion because you do not like it? Why does it matter who wrote it, nobody quotes that in rp, it doesn’t affect rp. You need to get a grip and if you dislike the religion do something about it, in roleplay, rather than screech over the forums.

@drfate786

Edited by Boniface

pope

33 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

For those not aware of the deception they have just attempted, the FIRST scrolls were written in Anthos by Mogroka.

fun fact, the creation story as told by the canonist scrolls is basically the exact same as the original server lore released before the server even was

so uh

suck it, LOL

I unironically agree with some of this lmao

The aesthetics and daily practice of it is like 75% + just ripped from Catholicism, which just feels lazy. And yeah, I’ve read the holy scrolls and they have deeper lore (though are still HEAVILY Christian) but tbh they matter hardly at all compared to what is actually rp’ed by most people as the religion.

okay but canonism still gay, have good day.

As a mainly elf guy, this is fun to read.

I hate Christianity in real life so I hate Canonism. Cancel Canonism.

you can say the word “GOD”, it won’t hurt you 🙂 

Also most of this religion is just ripped off from catholicism from my perspective.

just to uncirclejerk a moment, human rp has always been very low fantasy/game of thrones/CK2-esque, so having an inherently non-magical low fantasy religion suits them. Races like Dwarves, Elves and Orcs are generally more tied to the mystical elements of conventional fantasy tropes and therefore it makes more sense for their cultures to be revolving more around magical elements like runesmithing, druidism and shamanism respectively. each race has their niche and we shouldnt be saying one is inherently better than the other. after all its all make believe mineman blocks at the end of the day.