My Problems with Canonism

Lojo613

On 7/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, Lojo613 said:

Wow, okay, lets start off with the worst part of Canonism!

1. The age of the religion

Canonism is a stinky old religion made by stinky old players named DIB and VIROS who are both confirmed Neo-N*zis, it has been around forever on the server unlike cool new religions yet hasn’t radically been changed! I left this server 5 years ago and have recently come back and STILL NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!111! Religion should be constantly changing and radically shifting with the times, not remaining stable!

1. ITS FAKE

Canonism is literally fake! None of the people who run or created the lore for Canonism are admins or mods!!11 What the frick!?!/!? HOw can people not at all connected to the lore be allowed to run a religion which makes up the majority of the active player population!?!?! Canonism has no magic system unlike Druids or Monks or Shamans, and has no actual magic occuring, it is all based on faith and belief like real life!! IF THINGS AREN’T RETCONNED OR RETROACTIVELY CHANGED AS LORE IS RETROACTIVELY CHANGED, HOW IS THAT FAIR TO THE ADMINS!?!!?

1. It is racist and intolerant

Canonism was made by an evil evil evil man named VIROS who is confirmed to be a Catholic priest irl and DIB who is a white nationalist. As such, clearly this religion reflects the real life values of the leaders in the religion. Canonism bans inter-species breeding cuz G-D said! Yeah, okay, I get it, half-elves suffer all the same curses as humans and elves, being unable to breed and half shortened lifespans, but why should I be IRPly punished just because G-D said no?!?!? And Heresy, this isn’t the middle ages, it just isn’t fair that any time people try to make cults and heresies that they get killed by the church.

1. Too much reading

Have you ever read the Holy Scrolls!? TLDR; ITs 20 pages long of lore u can’t even use anywhere, whats the point, not to mention the nearly 100 pages of extra stuff made by players like Bagely and Sug and Totus, literally too much to read. How is any new player going to get into that!

1. Based of the worst religion

Literally based of Catholicism. Useless, dumb, evil religion. Actually the embodiment of evil. If you want to play a human religion which is based off of a better rl source, do Rashidunism, they are based of Islam which is a better religion because they never oppressed scientists.

1. No magic!

This may seem like a repeat of #2, but no, this is different. There is not just no real lore because no mods support it, but no magical system. Even if there was no lore, there is no magic to make it worth your while to be a priest. Priests cant banish sickness or make their prayers work, literally no gain from being a priest. The only people who can even be priests are those who want to dedicate a lot of time to writing, reading, and actually directly rping and interacting with individuals in a way that might not benefit them at all and have a distinct disadvantage to warriors, other magic users, and even monsters, with their only power inherently coming from faith and dedication and the moral effect the religion has on others! NO FUN AND NO OPPORTUNITY FOR INTERESTING RP!

TLDR;

Canonism is an old religion which formed naturally as a result of player experiences on the server rather than artificial creation by the Staff or Lore team. The massive amount of Lore is all player written and organically developing as a labor of love by various individuals with no real power on the server as these individuals are NOT Staff or on the Lore team. All attempts at giving Canonism some Lore tie ins or magical aspects have been denied, which has led to the common OOC belief that Canonism is “fake” (to quote drfate). It is based off of an intolerant medieval variant of a real world religion, and creates drama and violence IRP through its policies and actions. Clearly this is toxic to the server, and needs to be deleted and replaced with a hand crafted by staff magic system. 

real

real

On 7/6/2020 at 11:51 PM, Lojo613 said:

Canonism is literally fake! None of the people who run or created the lore for Canonism are admins or mods!!

That's the beauty of the religion and server dawg. You can literally create something on your own without the mods needing to be involved and you can make it a massive part of the server. Taking out that takes away the rp possibilities of the server and the fun.

Canonism has no magic system unlike Druids or Monks or Shamans, and has no actual magic occuring, it is all based on faith and belief like real life!!

My character prayed to God for food and then food dropped from the sky. Checkmate!

Canonism bans inter-species breeding cuz G-D said!

All races and groups look down upon it. It is not something specific to Humans/Canonism. If you go into an elf city as a human and say you want an elven wife then people will scold you and shit if not worse just because either they rp as racists or just feel bad for the kid that would come from such relations due to them inheriting both curses. 

Have you ever read the Holy Scrolls!?

Yes. It has very interesting lore if you actually read it

11 hours ago, MisterBlitzkrieg said:

lol moded

real

literally so ******* true

18 hours ago, MisterBlitzkrieg said:
On 7/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, Lojo613 said:

My character prayed to God for food and then food dropped from the sky. Checkmate!

Yes, but have you considered this is unmistakeable proof that the Creator is a potato farmer? Praise Billy Bob and his magical potatoes.

As a person who was raised with the zaniness and pure tomfoolery that is catholicism, i honestly kind of appreciate that canonism exists in the LOTC fiction to let me 'write what i know,' so to speak. Like, it gives me an excuse to give my characters the same catholic-derived trauma that I have, and anyone who was raised catholic will tell you that catholic guilt is a very particular kind of trauma with a very particular aesthetic that kind of just has no parallel and is honestly so fun to write. Catholic guilt just hits different, yknow?
That being said, like, f*cking, yeah, obviously canonism sucks. Catholicism sucks. Most of the people who openly identify as catholic nowadays are also blatantly n*zis (which, btw, its very funny that online american tradcath converts want to overthrow the pope for being too woke. ma'am, you signed up to have that guy as your supreme religious dictator. thats what being catholic means. just be a non-catholic n*zi if you dont like him). I think canonism serves a narrative purpose as a force that is antagonistic and as something that adds a layer of realism to the medieval human rp, but it's foolish at best and malicious at worst to ignore all the terrible things it inherits from real world catholicism. I do think people on this server could, broadly, stand to be a little more sensitive and to think a little more critically about the era-appropriately problematic sh*t we do in rp. When in-character support for the canonist doctrine bleeds into irl condoning of bigotry, disregarding real people's religious trauma, or glorifying the real papal state's history of colonialism and violence, it's time to take a step back from the fantasy and question the ethics of what you're writing. At the end of the day, we need to remember that on LOTC we're writing a collaborative fiction, and fiction can and does have real world consequences.

6 hours ago, FlareGunCalamity said:

Most of the people who openly identify as catholic nowadays are also blatantly n*zis

https://apnews.com/article/vatican-transgender-lgbtq-b3d67868504ba701cce09da9ecc94de0

https://apnews.com/article/vatican-transgender-catholic-baptism-godparents-82120d853570ec92f4db1cbf11ebc2f1

Pope Francis has taken leaps and strides in creating a more "liberal" Catholic church. He's dined with transgender people, allowed them to be baptised and be named godmother/godfathers. The last Synod that happened showed that the vast majority of those who attended voted yes for the possibility of female ordination and LGBT inclusivity in the church. 

6 hours ago, FlareGunCalamity said:

which, btw, its very funny that online american tradcath converts want to overthrow the pope for being too woke. ma'am, you signed up to have that guy as your supreme

And most catholics DO follow the pope, its a very loud minority of people who claim he's an antipope/fake pope. 

Saying catholics are n*zi's perpetuates bigotry and animosity. I'm not a catholic and I'm pretty far left leaning, but its a gross overstatement and total generalisation of the billion catholics that exist in the world. I get what you're trying to say but we all have to think about how our words affect each other !!!! :)

Spoiler

Also this was a bait post made by dargrind ???