[✓] [Potion] Contrabass Concoction

Gnomemancy

Contrabass Concoction

f78fcd3b989716bc8efe0b57fdeb55b1.jpg

Gold Potion by ArtLanding

“Ah! Here is one for the senses.” Beros would begin to laugh at his own joke, unclipping a short yet stout bottle from a nickel brewing stand. The liquid therein encased was as thick as honey, full of small bubbles, and writhing about as if it would succeed in its struggle to slide out would it not be for the bottle’s plump cork. “Contrabass Concoction. A real treat and difficult to procure these days at least. The secret weapon of the Dwarven Quoire and the envy of Canonist cantors, at least the Ruskan ones. For those wishing to chant or belt out some harmonious litanies you can not find a more desirable drought. The oil, when taken in the proper quantity allows for one to speak, sing, chant, ye name it- all in Basso Profondo, a deep tone.” The aging alchemist raised the bottle up a bit, watching his apprentices’ eyes follow the vial with absolute attendance, “Hmm, a singer in our midst have we… well fine, take it.”

Description & Effects:

A honey-like salve, an oily balm, the Contrabass Concoction is quite the unconventional brew that one might imagine themselves indulging in. This thick golden oil is the product of many hours of labor at the hands of perspicacious alchemists. It seems to be in perpetual motion, forming bubbles and oozing about in its given container, eager to enter the mouths of worthy choir-persons. This concoction has a profound effect on the vocal abilities of those whose lips have graced it; On consumption, those who partake of this oil find their voice lowered several octaves to the range known as Basso Profondo.

Unlike most unctions this oil is quite unorthodox in that its coating of the throat must be kept current at all times during performances. Once the oil is washed down from the throat there remain no lingering octave effects. However, after only a few sips of the concoction the user would be graced with the ability to speak, sing, chant, shout, and even whisper in this low basso profondo tone. This effect remains only for as long as several saliva-filled swallows permit, around 10 OOC minutes. This is due to the fact that the oil is easily corrupted by salivation. 

Failure to not use this concoction correctly will not only impede one’s choral solo. If a steady lather is not kept on the throat for the entirety of one’s attempt at singing Basso Profondo, vocal pain would begin. Within only a few minutes of strenuous attempts at singing, vocalists would find their ability to sing greatly impaired for a brief time. 

Recipe:

Base: Lard

1x Sound

1x Connection

1x Order

1x Strength

1x Slowness

REDLINES:

-Tier One

-Effects only last four emotes where each emote is a separate action. To continue after this sum is reached, reapplication is required to sing in a similar manner.

-Does not require ST signing.

As the potion requires no ST signing and is only Tier 1, I would lower the requirements of order, strength, and slowness from 2 counts to one. Excepting strength, those symbols are currently hard to get ahold of, and this will make your cosmetic potion more accessible to low level alchemists. Great potion idea!

11 hours ago, GoodGuyMatt said:

Perfect! Now my character can sing Dior in LOTC correctly. +1

SHE LIKE THE WAY THAT I DANCE, SHE LIKE THE WAY THAT I MOVE

47 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

As the potion requires no ST signing and is only Tier 1, I would lower the requirements of order, strength, and slowness from 2 counts to one. Excepting strength, those symbols are currently hard to get ahold of, and this will make your cosmetic potion more accessible to low level alchemists. Great potion idea!

That’s a great suggestion! I do agree that a lowered benchmark for creation befits the oil, thank you!

I like it, clever and flavorful. Though I would recommend changing the 10 ooc minutes to an emote count, otherwise there is the unfortunate side effect of dissuading detailed emotes.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, Mojo said:

I like it, clever and flavorful. Though I would recommend changing the 10 ooc minutes to an emote count, otherwise there is the unfortunate side effect of dissuading detailed emotes.

Fair point, I took this into consideration and updated the redlines.  Thank you!

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.