Sign in to follow this  
Quinn275

The Death of Lord Otto

THE DEATH OF LORD OTTO
7th of Joma and Umuny, 331 ES | 7th of Sigismund’s End, 1778

888c35218965b74f39c4076515b05943-png.jpg

“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
~Otto Kortrevich to Markus Kortrevich

7TH OF JOMA AND UMUNY, 331 ES,

Lord Otto Kortrevich, the first Lord of House Kortrevich sat idly at his bedside after indulging in what would be his last supper. He sat alone in his chamber with a fireplace lit low, his body had endured much pain and suffering dating as far back as the late 1600s. The mere warmth that was exposed from the fireside kept his frail body warm enough to lay down for a final time. The frigid air that came from the northern territories of Hanseti didn’t impose any effect on him prior to this night, the former Lord Marshal nearing the age of hundred, grew tired as each summer and winter passed- his health meager in condition was noticeably decreasing as incidents of him falling or simply not being able to take care of himself grew more and more frequent. A Haeseni patriot like Otto lived what many would take away as a life sworn undoubtedly to a Kingdom through and through. He served underneath Robert I, Marius II and Andrew III as the twenty-eighth Lord Marshal of Haense. Continuing his service underneath Andrew IV and most recently Sigismund II as a Royal Advisor. His achievements were incomparable and the sheer number of awards and honors he had received were astonishing but, these long listings of accomplishments would soon fall to a history recounting as Otto rested his eyes one last time before taking his last breath.

Otto recalled his youth in Markev, remembering it fairly well. A period where he had his entire life ahead of him - a life he had now lived in full; bringing his family to the stature of nobility and by serving amongst the ranks of the military as a soldier, officer and advisor. His long dark hair used to flow across his face gently as he rode into the city upon his steed. All that laid now were a few white hairs donning itself along his wrinkled head. It was with these days that he and his family grew to prominence in Haense, making a mark for themselves that would land their House years subsequently. He reminisced on the simpler times of his youth; the countless number of trainings, weddings, to family gatherings. As Otto rested his eyes and recalled his long life and the periods that he most cherished he took one final breath and fell into a slumber that would ultimately be his last.

A true Haeseni patriot who lived past many of his compatriots and leaves a mark in Haeseni history that will be remembered by the ilk of his family and the ilk of the Haeseni populace for years. For the many times Lord Otto led Haeseni troops to victory in large encounters to small he instilled what it means to be a Haensemen. Serving amongst his brothers in arms who donned the colors of Black and Gold for the vast majority of his life to contributing to the Kingdom’s governmental functions- Otto Kortrevich will be recognized as a man who swore an oath at the youthful age of eighteen and died serving his nation through the most befitting ways possible. The former Lord Marshal brought forth change to the ranks of the Royal Army; reinstating proper leadership and leading His King and Kingdom to an everlasting state of prosperity. 
The former Royal Advisor of War brought forth guidance as he guided a new generation of commanders to the line of command and through that brought forth peace and stability that any Haeseni aspires to obtain. 

“With Duty, Comes Honor”

The missive reads:
To Markus, @CaptainZenny
“My son, since you were but a boy you were dissimilar to me in more ways than none. As you grew older and progressed through schooling, the man you’d ultimately become soon was revealed to me. By the time you had reached the age many recognize as an adult, you stood on a different path than I did when I was your age. You stood on the path of politics as opposed to the path our family had stood on since its founding, the path of the military. Throughout your tenure as Palatine, you brought the Haeseni a future to be proud of; education reform, tax reform and military reform. You brought honor to the family following a time we faced prudent turmoil. Markus, your travels to Aeldin to find a cure for what took Winnifred’s life is but only admirable, but your family desires your return home where you may continue to serve out your many years of service to the Kingdom in the highest of standards. I leave you with the bastard-sword dubbed ‘Aurum Crovus’ gifted to me by the late King Robert. Preserve it amongst the family’s relics and may it remind you of Our family’s coming of age.”

Signed, 
Your father, Otto

The missive reads:
To Viktor and Juliyus, @Zanthuz @Quinn275
“To my dear grandsons, you’ve kept me young as I’ve reached the latter years of my life but most importantly you’ve made me proud. Viktor, your service as an astonishing journalist has brought our namesake great significance. You have continued to prove our House is ever stalwart no matter the ever continuing challenges our great Kingdom faces. Juliyus, by taking the path of the military has ultimately proven to be the right path for you to take. Since your enlistment, I’ve seen you grow from a rowdy young boy turned into a brawny young soldier. I leave you both with a Golden Circlet gifted to me by the late King Robert, I ask for you two to keep it preserved amongst our family’s relics and may it remind you of Our family’s coming of age.” 

Signed, 
Your grandfather, Otto

The missive reads:
To Karl, @Drew2_dude
“To our successor, Karl. You are but a boy at the time of me writing this and while I would’ve hoped we’d share more time together; I grow older by the day and weaker by each sun’s passing. The only piece of advice I wish to give you is to remember that with every bruise is a lesson… and each lesson proves to make us better. Remember that, live by that and you’ll prove to be a sturdy man who is destined to do whatever you wish to do in your life. I leave you a golden cross, may it remind you to keep the Faith of Church embedded with every decision you make.”

Signed, 
Your great-grandfather, Otto

The missive reads:
To Wilheim and Erwin, @MadOne @Miniguy15736
“My successors Lord Wilheim and Erwin, by the likes of you reading this missive, word has most certainly reached your ears on my final passing. While my leadership fifty some odd years ago led the ilk of you to the positions of power you found yourselves in I must recognize the positive changes you two have brought to Our Royal Army. The Haeseni Standing Army stood still for far too long and since has grown to a size incomparable to Army’s of the past. Your leaderships both as a Knight, Wilheim and a prominent Haeseni bannerman, Erwin marks firm points in Our Kingdom’s great history. I leave you both with a donation made on my behalf; a substantial supply of steel to forge weapons and armor, a fair amount of arrowheads and sticks and, a good portion of leather. May you two continue to serve Our Kingdom in the highest of standards that Our forefathers before us have laid out.”

Signed, 
Your compatriot, Otto

The missive reads:
To His Majesty, @CaptainHaense
“Your Majesty, King Josef- I have served the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska since your great-great-great-grandfather Robert’s reign. Throughout the many years of my servitude I’ve placed my life on the line to stand in defense of the Haeseni populace. During my time as Marshal from 1706-1724, I led countless of successful Haeseni forces to victory and ultimately too led forces to defeat. As Lord Wilheim was named my successor, I served as a Royal Advisor of War from 1725-1759; acting as a counselor during your grandfather's reign to your late father’s. I leave you my tattered recruit garb from the late 1600s, May you keep this and have it symbolize my long-service to the Kingdom since my eighteenth name day to my final name day. May you lead this Kingdom to a place of everlasting prosperity and continue to lead our people to a state of peace and tranquility.” 

Signed, 
Your stalwart servant, Otto

GksqZi6wBbCaWL8pJgzZXzHmQiJLxUL9MF9HQ_jAPGkG8gCvQwbmnyDRDe8yWOpU1gZTsufGfbQEMe3swu4xcVOSX-4gBDhu4H-Ki2j3w07W40r0zEjxKRTw84SFguT0mUZxEMjY

REST IN PEACE

Ser Otto Kortrevich
“The Founder”
(1678 - 1778)

Baron of Koravia
(1707-1737)

63341bd9432cd45e3f7a52ef01fd900d-png.jpg

Lord Marshal of Haense
(1706 - 1724)

Royal Advisor of War
(1725-1759)

FULL TITLE
The titles of Otto Kortrevich were; The Right Honorable, Ser Otto Kortrevich, Baron of Koravia, Lord Marshal of Haense, Royal Advisor of War, Knight of the Queen Maya and the Lily, Member of the Wailer Society.

Spoiler

Well, it’s been a long ride with Otto, starting all the way in Markev from Atlas! I never thought that I’d play this character for a full 82 weeks, but here I am. It has been crazy to see Haense grow and evolve from the eyes of a single character; Watching kings pass, cities rise and fall, family & peers grow and die, and especially see the Duma grow from a small pocket of friends of Marius II turn into a great institution of Haense. Besides all of this, however, I am most glad to see the Kortrevich family grow from nothing but a ragtag bunch of military noobs to where they are today. I don’t think the family, and in extension Otto, would’ve gotten anywhere near as they have without the others of the family (Absent is a light word for Otto at some key times), @Zanthuz @Drew2_dude @Distraction_ @erictafoya @Milenkhov @jharry01 @UndeadWizard @MikoMonster @Tigergiri @Sawona @CaptainZenny @Angeliqz @Nib0r @Oreydude8 @yandeer. I also want to say good luck to those who have recently (Or sort of recently) joined the family and hope that you all will continue to make it proud, @_NotChris @Scourgeoforder @KIIWIKILLA. I also want to extend a form of thanks for @Dogged and @GhostSHTR for finding me in Carolustadt or all the Kortreviches may have never come into Haense and to @JuliusAakerlund and @Imperium for taking in us with much interest, as you made the server somewhere we wanted to play.

Hearing the passing of Lord Otto, Sigmar Baruch would sign the lorraine and say a quick prayer. “Hell o’ a run Kortrevich, Hell o’ a run. May ye fin’lly rest.”

Karl Kortrevich would frown as he tugged at his father’s sleeve, wishing to leave the room, he did not want to see his great grandfather that way, nor did he understand what death truly meant, he merely knew he wanted no part in it. as he entered his room he saw a letter with a golden cross lying on the desk, he read over it, pride swelled up in him as his grandfather put his faith in him. he’d put on the golden cross and ran outside to play.

Posted (edited)

Nikolaus’ smile grew from ear-to-ear as he drew out his hand to assist his dear cousin, Otto to the skies that flew above.

“You’ve remained true to your word, Otto - through and till your hundredth name day you remained true to your word; by preserving Haense, defending our family’s honor and safeguarding our blood. Let it be known, your service stands in solidarity among one of Haense’s most distinguished patriots. Come, join me as many await your arrival.”

With that, Nikolaus reached over Otto’s slumped shoulders before they joined those that had been awaiting for his arrival.

____

Viktor sat somberly as Otto took his last breath, retelling in his mind the many stories his grandfather had told and the many lessons he had taught. Upon his children’s hurried withdrawal from the room, Viktor sat in silence as he and his grandfather’s hands were left intertwined.

“Be at peace, hauchpader - be at peace.”

Edited by Zanthuz

Elgon Kortrevich would hear of his brothers death but would shed no tear. Instead, his heart started pounding heavily as he quickly had a realization.. As his last brother was dead and his other cousins were either missing or dead, Elgon was the last Kortrevich of the first generation alive. He sat alone on the steps of Korstadt for a long while. The blind and deaf man closed his eyes and as he opened them again, he saw his elder brother and the rest of his kin sitting at the dining table of their old manor in Markev. Elgon would sigh one last breath as his old and tired body finally would rest, thus ending the first generation of House Kortrevich.

Erik would still sit alone in a dark and lonely place, with only a single fire to keep him company. He looked up silently as both of his brothers passed. Erik only sighed and briefly said ”Finally” as his generation finally came to a close.

Ser Ivan would hear the news from his home in New Reza. The veteran Knight shared no close connection to Lord Otto and barely even spoken to the man. However, he held a great deal of respect for the man who had accomplished much in his long history. ”May you and Hauchpader spar once more in the seven skies, like that painting of you two in Markev...” he said to himself.

Ser Bjolfr Nord Would turn his head to Prince Jakub Ludovar II “ We did good old friend” he’d smile before welcoming his most accomplished recruit and friend into the seven skies. 
@Quinn275 @Dogged

Marius embraces his long time friend as he enters the seven skies, “You’ve served with Honor and dignity you’ve earned this rest.” Marius offers Otto to join him in a drink as they watch their descendant from the seven skies. "I’m glad I named you as my Marshal, wouldn’t have had it any other way.”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this