[✗] [Playable CA] Archons, The Voidscarred Transcendents

Johann

19 hours ago, Sorcerio said:

When it comes to things like Arcane Magics, players are already given so much freedom in what they can do with aesthetics and culture, yet instead opt for the most basic and stereotypical route of “connects” and “casts fireball” with little flair or uniqueness. That being said, I highly doubt that Archons  as these would aid to form some Arcane Culture, at least on modern LOTC, as players already have made little to no effort to create a such.

Furthermore, though I admire the concept of such creatures transcendent through means of the Arcane, I fear that something like a Void Magic endgame would be treated  no differently by the playerbase than other void magics are now, regardless of the efforts and intentions of the writers; becoming merely another thing that players pick up to flaunt around at tea parties or lord over their opponents in combat. 

Phil’s lore was good, but it had its time. Let it rest. Please. 

I wouldn’t honestly know because the voidal magic “community” if there even is one seems so pale and boring that it just doesn’t appeal. This piece appeals, and provides voidal mages a “goal” of sorts, and could definitely be more restricted and gate-kept to prevent the issues of getting it just to flex. I see time and time again voidal mages casting magic just to cast and flex, and while that isn’t incredibly fun and is simply snobby, I do think archons could provide plenty of concepts that would be neat. A true mage’s guild with actual “masters”, them being these archons, and the guild would stand out wholly more than any “schools” we have right now. A little flavor here-and-there to these absolutely empty magics would just be nice.

But I’m not a voidal mage and probably never would be, so ultimately it’s just hopes to see another group get some cool end-goals other than “i am t5 in fifteen magics”

1 hour ago, Ryloth said:

A true mage’s guild with actual “masters”, them being these archons, and the guild would stand out wholly more than any “schools” we have right now.

Here, you’re describing what was seen a couple of maps ago, with the proper Mage’s Guild – but even in those days, Voidal Magic was used for what you’re describing – for show, for casting, for “flexing”, if you will. That was the general objective, in getting it; acquire it, ignore the downsides and powergame the upsides to reach any end you may desire to reach. Voidal Magic isn’t a means to an end, but it’s what it’s been made out to be, and it’s been that way the last couple of years.

A couple of years ago, Voidal Magic was a fairly uncommon commodity, but not only because those who wielded it had greater power than they do these days, but because of the “flex”, as you’ve pointed out. Since I believe Axios and Atlas, and the Lore Games, its power has been mitigated, but as a result it’s become very, very commonplace to have such a thing. I see dozens of MAs for Voidal Magic every month.

Now, Archons were present in those days, when there existed a proper Mage’s Guild where there were actual “masters”, as you speak of, which began and thrived in the days of Kalamoot. However, Archons were severely overpowered, they were used just as those who comment on this post insinuate they will be used again, and they were effectively a huge boast for those who had them, alongside people who dedicated entire characters to stacking Voidal Magics .. why?

You’ve said it yourself:

1 hour ago, Ryloth said:

“i am t5 in fifteen magics”

4 hours ago, Ryloth said:

because the voidal magic “community” if there even is one seems so pale and boring that it just doesn’t appeal. This piece appeals, and provides voidal mages a “goal” of sorts

unfortunately the piece can only be as good as the general community behind it allows. the voidal people can’t even rightly use the tools at their disposal, so what makes you think hurling fuel to the fire makes it better?

On 8/3/2020 at 1:57 AM, ExcitedEXE said:

The moment Phil leaves the server people instantly try to steal and appropriate a concept that he himself abandoned for being a grievous concept.

I will say that this is a very inaccurate assumption. Johann began writing this after I handed him my incomplete rewrite for a Voidal Magic CA, which had been in the works for the past several months (although at a snail’s pace) whilst Phil was still playing on the server. This has nothing to do with the original writer, but rather the author of this rewrite’s ambitions.

C’mon man, only druids and dark users are allowed to have end games. . .

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.