[✗] [Magic Lore] Runesmithing

JokerLow

Warning: dwarven players may be suspected to fume and tilt on this post. Be advised.

THE BALD APPROVED

PURGE THE CIRCLE JERK

GIVE THIS THE APPROVAL

+1

Edited by Charles The Bald

An amazing project to help work on with the lads 😎

10 minutes ago, Rocky said:

not bad +1 add golemancy

You are right my friend, if only this beautiful team could work on re-writing golemancy, this beautiful magic should be a nice addition to the server.

Wonderful idea Rocky.

Okay so I’ma touch on a few issues here, but I can see that clearly the authors cared about what they were writing.

The major issue I’m going to address firstly, is that this rewrite reads exactly like Josh’s prior rewrite, which is to say that it reads virtually identical to Runesmithing for the past like four or five years. You’ve not updated the lore in any significant way, you’ve not added any new concepts of substance and although I see you removed the ******* absurd rolling requirement for connection, this just reads like a really outdated lore piece when compared to a lot of modern magic lore on lotc.

This isn’t a dig at y’all personally, but Runesmithing is shelved, you could take it in any direction, you have full creative license here to go big and do something totally new with it. Instead you’ve just made it “Runesmithing from 2016” which is dry and tiring and a bit sad.

The next issue I’d like to point out is that you’re referring to this as a deity magic(correct me if I’m wrong), yet you have no accompanying deity lore. Yemekar and the Brathmordakin are not canon deities with no associated implemented lore, they are entirely fictional and thus one cannot have a deity connection to them. This also relates back to the prior point, that previously this was allowed with old iterations of Runesmithing and it’s not really your fault for trying the same shtick again at least in regards to just vagueing how the deity connection works. You can’t write deity magic like this, you have to relate it to a canon deity, whether you write that deity yourselves or you use an existing one.

Another symptom of the first issue, but deserves addressing on its own too- the concept of rune tiers over the Runesmith’s tier is a leftover you could have done without. Furthermore the concept of ‘recharging’ enchantments is being done away with steadily with modern rewrites, and there are only two reasons I can think of for leaving it in; one being that it was in the prior lore, so you kept it because you’re trying to ‘fix’ the old lore, it’s a leftover you weren’t sure needed touching; the other reason is that requiring recharging necessitates the user is a Runesmith and can thus recarve the rune themselves, or they are not and must return to a Runesmith and pay for the service of recharging, which allows Runesmiths to inherently stifle who gets to interact with the magic- I don’t think this is your reasoning for it, but it is inevitably what players will do if it’s allowed.

I encourage you to read other deity magics, other magic in general and deity lore. This just isn’t good enough to make it through a loremag, and I get you just want to write cool magic I really do, I’m not trying to tear you down, but you can do better than this.

46 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

Okay so I’ma touch on a few issues here, but I can see that clearly the authors cared about what they were writing.

The major issue I’m going to address firstly, is that this rewrite reads exactly like Josh’s prior rewrite, which is to say that it reads virtually identical to Runesmithing for the past like four or five years. You’ve not updated the lore in any significant way, you’ve not added any new concepts of substance and although I see you removed the ******* absurd rolling requirement for connection, this just reads like a really outdated lore piece when compared to a lot of modern magic lore on lotc.

This isn’t a dig at y’all personally, but Runesmithing is shelved, you could take it in any direction, you have full creative license here to go big and do something totally new with it. Instead you’ve just made it “Runesmithing from 2016” which is dry and tiring and a bit sad.

The next issue I’d like to point out is that you’re referring to this as a deity magic(correct me if I’m wrong), yet you have no accompanying deity lore. Yemekar and the Brathmordakin are not canon deities with no associated implemented lore, they are entirely fictional and thus one cannot have a deity connection to them. This also relates back to the prior point, that previously this was allowed with old iterations of Runesmithing and it’s not really your fault for trying the same shtick again at least in regards to just vagueing how the deity connection works. You can’t write deity magic like this, you have to relate it to a canon deity, whether you write that deity yourselves or you use an existing one.

Another symptom of the first issue, but deserves addressing on its own too- the concept of rune tiers over the Runesmith’s tier is a leftover you could have done without. Furthermore the concept of ‘recharging’ enchantments is being done away with steadily with modern rewrites, and there are only two reasons I can think of for leaving it in; one being that it was in the prior lore, so you kept it because you’re trying to ‘fix’ the old lore, it’s a leftover you weren’t sure needed touching; the other reason is that requiring recharging necessitates the user is a Runesmith and can thus recarve the rune themselves, or they are not and must return to a Runesmith and pay for the service of recharging, which allows Runesmiths to inherently stifle who gets to interact with the magic- I don’t think this is your reasoning for it, but it is inevitably what players will do if it’s allowed.

I encourage you to read other deity magics, other magic in general and deity lore. This just isn’t good enough to make it through a loremag, and I get you just want to write cool magic I really do, I’m not trying to tear you down, but you can do better than this.

aaf.png

in all seriousness i wouldnt mind some good canon brathmo lore, it’d be better than just relying on cringy aenguls/daemons which at this point are overdone and relied upon. 

I really like this, especially the part where Runesmiths can only make so many runes before their previous runes loose power. One thing that confused me was the Hammer and Chisel part, as it seems both are needed to create the runes, but the post says the hammer creates, while the chisel removes?

Right, so I will begin going through the replies. I’m extremly happy that the replies the post has, are filled with actual good arguments, instead of troll replies as I originally expected.

1 hour ago, Luciloo said:

Originally, when I saw the rewrites of Josh, I did not like them. The amount of unnecessary, extremly op and meme runes I’ve seen, had been enough for me to think that change might not be that good, since I know Josh is very well versed in the magic. After seeing your reply, I can understand your point of view and I feel like you’re indeed right about runesmithing needing modern additions to itself, as long as they as well are not overpowered. Therefore, tomorrow, since now its late, I am to start working on something to give runesmithing a different look than the old runesmithing we all know about.

Right, so the thing with runesmithing is, that the only deity that empowers the actual magic is Ogradhad. That is the only source of power a runesmith has, no other deity. I feel like you missunderstood the idea of each rune. As it goes back, runesmithing firstly came to dwarves, therefore, there have been runes with the name of each Brathmordakin, which would give the impression that the said Brathmordakin is empowering the rune, which is absolutely not true. As I said, the only source of power of a runesmith is Ogradhad, he made all the runes. Just because some runes have the names of the Brathmordakin, does not mean that the paragon in case is the power source of the rune with its name.

The recharging issue, is one of the things I expected people to disagree with and that is fair. My reason for having it on this rewrite, is not because it was on the previous one, but because it controls the usage of runes. Imagine someone having a tier 4 rune, which would be able to shoot off fireballs, with basically infinite usage. That is something I do not wish to see back, as I personally owned runesmithed weapons back in Atlas, one specific warhammer, with 3 different runes on it, which would never expire. The idea of us making this so the buyer of a rune would have to return to the runesmith and pay for a recarving, is completly out of text. It was never my intention or purpose when I added the recharging, again, it was to control the amount of usage a rune can have so it many not be overused till infinity. It is true, some runesmiths will try to use it as a way to boost their pockets, but that does not mean that there wont be runesmiths with good faith, willing to recarve any rune for free.

16 minutes ago, Jentos said:

in all seriousness i wouldnt mind some good canon brathmo lore, it’d be better than just relying on cringy aenguls/daemons which at this point are overdone and relied upon. 

maybe

16 minutes ago, BDanecker said:

I really like this, especially the part where Runesmiths can only make so many runes before their previous runes loose power. One thing that confused me was the Hammer and Chisel part, as it seems both are needed to create the runes, but the post says the hammer creates, while the chisel removes?

Ok, so basically the idea behind the hammer and chisel is that, they are soulbound to a runesmith. A runesmith without his hammer and chisel is powerless, and that was the goal i was aiming to hit. When a runesmith is to make a rune, he uses the chisel to carve the runes required. The runes at that point, are dormant, non working since there was nothing to empower them. Then to make the runes active, the runes have to come in contact with a runesmith’s hammer. Only then, will a rune work.

Once Upon A Song GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

HEY THATS RUNESMITHING OMG

YES

2 hours ago, JokerLow said:

Right, so the thing with runesmithing is, that the only deity that empowers the actual magic is Ogradhad. That is the only source of power a runesmith has, no other deity. I feel like you missunderstood the idea of each rune. As it goes back, runesmithing firstly came to dwarves, therefore, there have been runes with the name of each Brathmordakin, which would give the impression that the said Brathmordakin is empowering the rune, which is absolutely not true. As I said, the only source of power of a runesmith is Ogradhad, he made all the runes. Just because some runes have the names of the Brathmordakin, does not mean that the paragon in case is the power source of the rune with its name.

No I understand that the Brath aren't the ones empowering each rune, the problem is that Ogradhad is not a canon deity. He has no currently accepted deity lore, thus you cannot use him as the source of Runesmithing as a deity magic without submitting your own lore, which details things like his motivations, his realm etc.

I’m of the opinion, and I know a few other players and ST agree with me, that making the Brath canon deities as Aengudaemons ruins an important part of Dwarven RP and culture. No other culture on the server has such a well-defined religion, so well-spread amongst its playerbase, which is totally fictional and created entirely iRP, than Dwarves with the Brathmordakin. Writing lore for them to all be canonised takes away from them, I feel.

2 hours ago, JokerLow said:

The recharging issue, is one of the things I expected people to disagree with and that is fair. My reason for having it on this rewrite, is not because it was on the previous one, but because it controls the usage of runes. Imagine someone having a tier 4 rune, which would be able to shoot off fireballs, with basically infinite usage. That is something I do not wish to see back, as I personally owned runesmithed weapons back in Atlas, one specific warhammer, with 3 different runes on it, which would never expire. The idea of us making this so the buyer of a rune would have to return to the runesmith and pay for a recarving, is completly out of text. It was never my intention or purpose when I added the recharging, again, it was to control the amount of usage a rune can have so it many not be overused till infinity. It is true, some runesmiths will try to use it as a way to boost their pockets, but that does not mean that there wont be runesmiths with good faith, willing to recarve any rune for free.

I would suggest that instead of requiring a player have to return to the Runesmith to have a rune recarved every two weeks, you instead make it so the rune recharges itself outside of combat. Other magics, such as Druidism and now Paladinsim, have mechanics which allow enchantments to be used once in a combat scenario, with specifics for how many emotes it lasts etc., and that the enchantment then recharges passively outside of combat. This removes what was termed ‘recharge roleplay’ which Clerics and Ascended routinely went through, and which was regarded as very boring and repetitive, but also prevents players from using runes excessively in a single combat encounter.

Like at the end of the day, if the player returns to have a rune recarved, they can still use the rune infinitely no? Removing the need for recarving and replacing it with a cooldown, just cuts out the busywork. You could even predicate the cooldown based upon the tier of rune so that a Runesmith could choose to offer a very powerful rune with a long cooldown or a weaker rune with a faster cooldown.

Overall, I appreciate you responding to my points. I’m glad you’re interested in taking the criticism on board and working to update the work here to make it more in line with current iterations of magic lore. Like I know you and your co-authors can do something good with it, you’ve just got to really push for something good.