[✗] [World Lore] Planes, Planar Laws and The Great Tear

Wretched

6 hours ago, Wretched said:

Don’t see why not, I’ll add a list of known but unvisited locations.

Metztli’s realm is off the table at the moment. I did have something written up for it in a draft but it’s still related to an ongoing eventline, and proposing it would have been stepping on ST toes.

Awesome. And fair enough. 

On 8/18/2020 at 8:24 AM, lev said:

I mean yes that may be true, however I think we can all agree there’s nothing wrong with wanting be contacted about where your lore is going to be used. Obviously nobody knows the lore better than its writer, so they can also give feedback if you’re using it in a way that doesn’t make sense with its initial themes

I don’t know if this was due to misinformation or simply vague writing, but everything in existence excluding the Void is contained inside of the Veil.

It’s referenced in several pieces as more of a ‘snowglobe’ with empty space between realms, and an outer wall which splits creation from the Void. The material plane (an umbrella term for the the mortal ‘plane(s)’) is explicitly said to be at the centre of the Veil, furthermore.

I don’t know if it’s right to categorise the Veil as a ‘realm’ at all, when in reality it’s just a big load of empty space kept in a bubble, but that’s less important. The same could be said on the inverse for the Void, which isn’t a ‘plane’ at all using the same definitions applied to Aengudaemonica or the material, it’s an endless... Well... ‘Void’ that exists past creation, as bordered by the Veil. This lore (whilst I’m sure unintentionally) suggests it’s just as much a ‘realm’ as places like Moz Strimoza or Val’Garis, which exist within the Veil along with the rest of creation. 

The Soulstream also isn’t really a ‘plane’, it’s moreso a ‘force’ – or, more literally, ‘stream’ – along which disembodied souls are carried, that passes from the Mortal Plane through the relative centre of Ebriaetas before then linking to the realms of every Aengudaemon that keeps souls, the Spirit Realms, Moz Strimoza and all other ‘fates’ (places in which the souls of the dead can be drawn) within the Veil. 

I’d ask the Veil’s nature as the ‘container’ for creation be more explicitly referenced here, as well as the nature of the Void and Soulstream to be clarified so as to avoid confusion further down the road if this piece is passed.

1 hour ago, The King Of The Moon said:

I don’t know if this was due to misinformation or simply vague writing, but everything in existence excluding the Void is contained inside of the Veil.

It’s referenced in several pieces as more of a ‘snowglobe’ with empty space between realms, and an outer wall which splits creation from the Void. The material plane (an umbrella term for the the mortal ‘plane(s)’) is explicitly said to be at the centre of the Veil, furthermore.

I don’t know if it’s right to categorise the Veil as a ‘realm’ at all, when in reality it’s just a big load of empty space kept in a bubble, but that’s less important. The same could be said on the inverse for the Void, which isn’t a ‘plane’ at all using the same definitions applied to Aengudaemonica or the material, it’s an endless... Well... ‘Void’ that exists past creation, as bordered by the Veil. This lore (whilst I’m sure unintentionally) suggests it’s just as much a ‘realm’ as places like Moz Strimoza or Val’Garis, which exist within the Veil along with the rest of creation. 

The Soulstream also isn’t really a ‘plane’, it’s moreso a ‘force’ – or, more literally, ‘stream’ – along which disembodied souls are carried, that passes from the Mortal Plane through the relative centre of Ebriaetas before then linking to the realms of every Aengudaemon that keeps souls, the Spirit Realms, Moz Strimoza and all other ‘fates’ (places in which the souls of the dead can be drawn) within the Veil. 

I’d ask the Veil’s nature as the ‘container’ for creation be more explicitly referenced here, as well as the nature of the Void and Soulstream to be clarified so as to avoid confusion further down the road if this piece is passed.

Part of the alterations suggested in this proposal is to classify the void, the veil and the soulstream as being ‘planes’ for the sake of players being able to easily understand the nature of the universe. It is a simplification, yes, but I’d argue a necessary one. In some places where the lore does get particularly complex, I have been intentionally vague and linked to lores that add further clarification for those that would seek it.

That said, I think you’re right, and I haven’t been clear enough about how certain planes (the veil, the void, the soulstream) differ from the standard ones. In my coming edit I will more clearly separate their identities from other planes and make emphasis on those differences, but still have them fall under the category of a ‘plane’.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Personally I’ve never been one for the very big-scale, war-in-heavens of LotC, although it’s been growing on me in this current storyline. But I’m a firm believer that too much lore is “orphaned” and written in isolation from the rest of the server. I think this succinctly ties together all of the large planar narratives, and it brings them under one system about as easy to understand as we could hope.

I have no opinion on the Outvoker or the Planebreaker, except that I wish we would reuse older characters rather than creating new ones. I understand why this is not always possible, though. Overall +1

On 8/18/2020 at 7:24 AM, lev said:

Within the TOS, “Us” is specifically defined as Tythus LTD and any relevant entities. While I question the legality of the TOS due to its absolute vagueness, it is extremely doubtful that “relevant entities” means the average LOTC user, as a customer to a service normally doesn’t hold that kind of legal power. Because it specifically does not specify that the average forum user has the right to “create derivative works of your content”, technically speaking, working off of someone else’s lore in order to expand or rewrite it is in violation of the TOS. 

With how horribly TOS is written, technically speaking, only Tythus and, probably, his staff are given permission to use other users’ lore. You also are not giving away ownership of your lore when you post it on the forums either. You’re just giving Tythus and co a license to use and distribute it however they see fit. 

I can sympathize with Quav in the fact that having your lore dramatically changed by someone else can be rather disheartening and infuriating, but it’s the way lotc goes. 

On 8/14/2020 at 5:14 AM, ScreamingDingo said:

this has been canon since 2013 tbf

and it’s shitty canon because the Verge was explicitly said to be reachable from Aegis by boat. 

EDITS:

• Added a list of known but unvisited locations.
  • Added detail to the Veil, the Void and the Soulstream.
  • Added a prophecy clause.
  • Edited Fae Realm to remove an error.
  • General tidying.

This lore has been denied. 

The concepts and topics of this lore are simply to big for a single lorepiece - the ST is currently working on a project to define, revamp, and put down all relevant knowledge and information (both for administration, story team, and players), into posts which will come of use in short time.

Thank you for your submission