[✗] [Magic Lore] - Runesmithing

Nooblius

+19241572618462824738473628361819364

runic siege cannons when?

Just now, Ryloth said:

runic siege cannons when?

Future DLC, coming soon to a store near you!

Sorry that the formatting is so messed up bois and girls, I’ll be spending some time dedicated towards fixing it post- well, post-posting. Content will stay the same however.

EDIT: Formatting done! There was a single redline from Ruhn Lanterns I removed as it was wack and from an earlier draft. Sorry if that made anyone’s viewing experience uncomfortable, I suggest reloading the page to the lot of you.

25 minutes ago, DrHope said:

Future DLC, coming soon to a store near you!

got my pre-order ready 

Wait this wasn't just a meme for star breaker discord, you actually wrote it? 

This is going to need some general clarification, tidying up of vagueness etc.

For example:

7 hours ago, Noobli said:

Rune of Healing

Slowly helps the body of those around heal. This dialect of runes, only quickens the pace of which the body heals itself. Mortal wounds that the body couldn’t repair in turn, means the dialect can’t. 

T1: When placed atop the injury of the person, it can lessen the pain by a small margin depending on the severity. It can only numb the pain of minor cuts, bruises and injuries. 

T2: Very slowly heals minor injuries, 10 RP minutes to heal bruises, minor cuts. 

T3: Can numb the pain of moderate wounds but cannot mend them in anyway, merely taking away the pain. It can however heal minor cuts and bruises near the area of where the rune is placed. 5 rp minutes to heal bruises, minor cuts (etc.)

T4: This Tier is strong enough to fix moderate injuries and wounds on the injured individual. Allowing to them to close wounds, mend medium sized gashes and even small fractures in bone. 

T5: This Tier is strong enough to repair broken bones, close large wounds, stop bleeding (etc.) 

• With a Destroy suffix, a Rune of Healing will slow down the ability for the body to naturally heal.

I can jam a T5 Healing Rune into my wound  and apparently it will close itself and repair broken bones, then I’m up in the fight again. So it only takes one Runesmith to dole out this rune during player versus player cRP, to cause an argument over what amounts to lore-approved powergaming.

You should detail how long it takes to heal such extensive injuries and it should be impossible to use in a combat scenario.

7 hours ago, Noobli said:

Rune of Sound 

Used mostly in speeches and performances, the Rune of Sound is for magnifying the sound heard within a small radius of the rune, making it loud and clear over a wide area.

T1: The rune magnifies the sound of everything in a foot radius to be heard clearly in a 8 foot radius. Often used for performances in taverns or speeches in smaller chambers.

T2: The rune magnifies the sound of everything in a foot radius to be magnified and heard in a 16 foot radius. This is often used for wider, more public speeches before crowds.

T3: The rune magnifies the sound of everything in a foot radius to ring throughout a 24 block radius. Historically used for giving commands to smaller military formations or kingdom-wide speeches. 

T4: The rune magnifies the sound of everything in a foot radius to sound loudly in a 32 block radius. Mostly used for issuing military commands for large formations.

T5: The rune magnifies the sound of everything in a foot radius to boom throughout a 64 block range. This is rarely used, only for extreme situations, such as alarms heard throughout an entire valley.

• With a Destroy suffix, a Rune of Sound will within its radius, depending on its tier, silence all noise.

This is suggesting that sound can be magnified beyond #s distance. In which case is T5 meant to allow for use of event broadcast channels, because I don’t see another way for a player to achieve this mechanically. Like I can see a number of circumstances where you can use this rune for all sorts of interesting things, but how is it going to work mechanically? You might do better to refer to the mechanical emote ranges rather than blocks honestly.

This revision is really bad, it’s basically a re-write by @Josh3738 posted by @Noobli

– It makes runesmithing a very powerful magic that is again designed to the runelord ultimate power over other living beings since he can do basically every sort of magic in a sort of way, he controls his students and teaches who he wants. The runelord can use any rune at his disposal to “powergame” his way out of fights, etc.  A runelord doesn’t have to be a powerful being that can kill anyone he wants. The Runelord will be the lord of water, mud, lava, etc. He will also be able to make runes of memory, light, etc. Again, nobody on this server should have that much roleplay power over other races and beings.

- The Rune of Inspiration is simply a rune used to give the student runesmithing in a quick manner, it doesn’t server any purpose than that, there’s nothing written that is very substantial than boosting the student’s creation, I mean it could have been written better to give a better idea about what you want than boost the student creativity and rune making which will be used for “certain” students as we already know.

- The runes do not give any bad effects, as they grow in tiers they instead grow in power, they do not have have counter-effects included that makes the runesmith think what should he make, the runes are pretty straight forward as they are.  Certain runes have a slight objection to them but I can still think of a few situations that EVERY rune could be abused in order to profit the runesmith.

Overall, the magic will push the same thing as before :

- Over powerful runelord

- Circlejerks

- Powergaming masked through runes.

My recommendations are  :

- A complete re-write by the ST team because the dwarves are now competing on re-writes, increasing the toxicity in the sub-community.

- ST oversight over runesmithing for a few years until the bad habits are fixed.

Edited by Charles The Bald

45 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

This is going to need some general clarification, tidying up of vagueness etc.

For example:

I can jam a T5 Healing Rune into my wound  and apparently it will close itself and repair broken bones, then I’m up in the fight again. So it only takes one Runesmith to dole out this rune during player versus player cRP, to cause an argument over what amounts to lore-approved powergaming.

You should detail how long it takes to heal such extensive injuries and it should be impossible to use in a combat scenario.

This is suggesting that sound can be magnified beyond #s distance. In which case is T5 meant to allow for use of event broadcast channels, because I don’t see another way for a player to achieve this mechanically. Like I can see a number of circumstances where you can use this rune for all sorts of interesting things, but how is it going to work mechanically? You might do better to refer to the mechanical emote ranges rather than blocks honestly.

These are both very good points, frankly speaking. Thank you for your feedback!

It was our intention that a Rune of healing would need a very long time to heal major injuries and that its only power was speeding up the natural healing process, however it seems that in this draft we forgot to put such an edit in and make it clear. I’m thinking to limit the amount of tiers on this one and make it distinctly and clearly weaker, or perhaps even just removing it entirely and saving it for the Flesh Rune DLC. If I do that however I want to introduce a utility rune or two to replace it, as I don’t want the dialect to become small enough it is seen as secondary to the more weaponry capable sides of Runesmithing. On the Rune of Sound, that was its idea, however you’re right that in its current state it could be a bit strange mechanically. Will reword the redlines for that one, and only have the T5 be beyond shout, and say its carving has to be approved by ST.

Being how I’m sure I have some time until this gets claimed by the Loremags, I may do some minor balancing there later this week or even tonight.

23 minutes ago, Charles The Bald said:

This revision is really bad, it’s basically a re-write by @Josh3738 posted by @Noobli

– It makes runesmithing a very powerful magic that is again designed to the runelord ultimate power over other living beings since he can do basically every sort of magic in a sort of way, he controls his students and teaches who he wants. The runelord can use any rune at his disposal to “powergame” his way out of fights, etc.  A runelord doesn’t have to be a powerful being that can kill anyone he wants. The Runelord will be the lord of water, mud, lava, etc. He will also be able to make runes of memory, light, etc. Again, nobody on this server should have that much roleplay power over other races and beings.

- The Rune of Inspiration is simply a rune used to give the student runesmithing in a quick manner, it doesn’t server any purpose than that, there’s nothing written that is very substantial than boosting the student’s creation, I mean it could have been written better to give a better idea about what you want than boost the student creativity and rune making which will be used for “certain” students as we already know.

- The runes do not give any bad effects, as they grow in tiers they instead grow in power, they do not have have counter-effects included that makes the runesmith think what should he make, the runes are pretty straight forward as they are.  Certain runes have a slight objection to them but I can still think of a few situations that EVERY rune could be abused in order to profit the runesmith.

Overall, the magic will push the same thing as before :

- Over powerful runelord

- Circlejerks

- Powergaming masked through runes.

My recommendations are  :

- A complete re-write by the ST team because the dwarves are now competing on re-writes, increasing the toxicity in the sub-community.

- ST oversight over runesmithing for a few years until the bad habits are fixed.

If you believe this rewrite is identical to Josh’s, well, I don’t have too much to say other than sorry ya feel that way, as I felt our group had done a pretty good job of rewriting it from scratch, even makes me a tad sad to hear that. Regardless, we had gone out of my way to specifically the runes substantially weaker than previous rewrites. Lava is not allowed to be used even mechanically on weaponry, and the equivalent of a T2 on Josh’s rewrite is a T5 on our own. If you have specific grievances where you think a specific rune is too powerful, please cite the and I’ll give what reasoning I can or even cede the point and remove/balance it. However I will state an LT advisor had told us it was alright, which is why we went ahead with posting with the current balancing.

The Rune of Inspiration is not meant to speed the process in which someone becomes a Runesmith or progresses through the tiers, and I actually feel somewhat ashamed if this was the conception, I did a poor job of communicating. No, the rune is only meant to act as RP flavoring, perhaps used by old storytellers ‘round the fire to better captivate the young ones.

That was something we had gone over in our head for a while, and decided that they shouldn’t necessarily have bad effects as that’s not really their point. If we wanted to make the runes more powerful, then yes they should have clear bad effects other than the casting time, however we opted to nerf them more to make it more simple and balanced. If there is a general consensus among many people that the runes are too powerful to be without negative effects we will do some balancing on the subject.

I would like to reiterate that we did in fact have ST oversight for this.

On the subject of Toxicity, I have seen none and encouraged none so far, and I do not intend to have our culture and lore become a battleground. And I encourage that to everyone reading this post who may feel... strongly about this subject. Even if you think someone else “started” it, just let it go. We’re all just nerds playing Minecraft Roleplaying, let us be peaceful nerds.

29 minutes ago, Charles The Bald said:

who hurt you?

Anyways, its a good rewrite. No rune alters. It can be expanded on with additional rune types, a well needed addition. Not controlled through ooc circle jerks, ffs we can have this release with 8.0 dwarf lore and issue one rune of learning per clan to calm charles. 

Good job noobli, 

14 hours ago, Noobli said:

This rune can summon/manipulate a large boulder, akin to Cubic 4 feet or about the size of a Toph approved rock. 

+1

I feel that this rewrite fixes a lot of the power issues involved with runesmithing. At first glance, it is easy to see the potential power behind runes, but I believe that the counter measures against powergaming with the runes are more than adequate to balance the magic. 

Runesmiths have limitations on: How many runes can be carved in an OOC week (a limitation not put on most magics), the number of runes put on a carried object, the material and preparation required to carve T4 and T5 runes, needing to be taught EVERY rune irp, no matter your tier level, the fact it is a 3 slot magic (covering for its wide variety of applications), and the need to have ST signed tools on you to perform it, just to name a few. Individually, they seem like small concessions, but when combined I think the rp dedication required to utilize adequately balances it.  

I would like to see a few clarifications, such has how many emotes are required to carve one rune. I’d suggest 3 per rune, as this would drastically decrease the power of runesmithing in the middle of combat and require runesmiths to really consider their use of the magic during combat.

Overall, +1 but does need some minor adjustments