[✗] [Feat + Magic Lore] The Keepers of Knowledge

AlphaMoist

cFLscWicwfNI_S2G7si9X1mqimtR2Xh9yGngKJAv9wsaYO3FHIjc91KIcLnivgND703_nXlZiSqcsLCuPXNBnaExTpcMuB_9vp1hpwjo0KplNco_Gane0097pXUYwItcUom2jH07

NUvdd771xV45ebbDuMeT98LyC2pyX7F7l1vxi_WjEHP9tfMWX43nJ8oGG3dlx6a8mv6VA0uzocs4OrnXN36gX_yJsherLBKAjWDDdXpRpr16A6Hwt_duslUtD4ZzV1vwAV2AtMxX

“And t’is h'rein these winding corrid'rs and endless hallways that I hast become lost and entranced into a maddening stup’r. The labyrinth of mine own mind, a spiraling maze of immeasurable mass, enwheeling all knowledge I know and shall ev'r know, hast become both mine own prison, and mine own deathbed.”

Origin

Myg07PF80beCMlL-leGNnwlKUqg-joZAZUMrftw6Z5eYbqw3k_Qg0JbrNOeWDasjGifmzAJ2s4e_mbhFiXaT_TWGa5s0fE0D99zsaFjiNihv2tzDFMPAcRhgqVbAL_3yIjL58xhJ

The Journal of Charles Slater

Spoiler

20th of Snow’s Maiden, 1439

“I has't always found myself distraught with jealousy when looking upon the ageless Elven-Folk. Beshrewed to survive a mortal life am I, while those gents may continue to live ev’r lasting lives full of knowledge and curiosity that I may nev'r know. Mine childish jealousy hast led me to grow contempt and ang'red with these folk, which is shared by many o’ mine own fellow sir. 

I suppose it may be plainly clear to those I call my neighb'rs that I find nothing me valuable than the written word, for I hath surely spent most of my expansive wealth on tomes and parchment rath'r than the simplicities I require to survive. While those who come from similar stature as mine will spend their earnings on fanciful abodes and the most decadent of books, I hath found it extraordinarily m're satisfying to stock the library in the west-wing of mine home with shelf upon shelf of literary gold. 

I mention such in this journal of mine for now I hath nothing but thanks to give to these long-eared folk, for today, one hath bestowed upon me a most curious gift. This morning, a tall, porcelain skinned creature boasting long, shining hair that draped down to his waist, his head tipped with an elongated set of ears, knocked upon mine door. Upon mine answ'ring his call, and ign'ring the sensation to slam thine door shut upon examining his obvious heritage, the elf informed me that he had heard of mine expansive collection, and he hath something to off’r me, something that could expand it furth'r, if only by a small percentage. 

Heavy with appreciation he wast for me. His words described a level of admiration for the short-lived folk to spend such precious, dwindling hours in the pursuit of knowledge. As he explained this to me, he had begun to make an assortment of odd gestures, and a myst'rious and vibrant blue-colored glow began to transpire around his body. He had created some sort of ripple in reality, leading to a dark and expansive cav'rn of unknown depth, and from this veil, he pulled forth an odd looking tome, which he then promptly handed to me. I accepted such without hesitation, and it wast m're so a movement of raw instinct rath'r than intelligent choice.

While he explained to me that the tome detailed the rich and vibrant culture of his people, when I brought it upon mine study and peered at its contents, I had 'originally assumed that some sort of magi trick'ry wast played upon me. Howev'r, now that I may write with hindsight, I know this to naught be the case. 

The tome, aft'r being opened, wast filled to the brim with a language I had nev'r before laid mine eyes upon. Originally, I dismissed the words written within to be that of gibb'rish, perhaps created by a child who barely knoweth how to use a pen. Howev'r, as I focused my attention on deciph'ring any sort of meaning behind the literature, the words before me began to warp and twist quite que'rly. It wast as if the parchment had become that of an ocean amidst a st'rm, and the writings w’re meag’r boats drifting along a disorienting current. 

When I drifted off into a dreamless slumb'r, I knoweth naught. Yet, when I awakened, I wast not within my dreary chamb'r. It wast instead that I had found myself in a sea of darkness, and a small, cleanly-kempt building of human design is what I saw before me. Whilst I stepped towards this structure, I found th’re to be no floor beneath me, yet my footsteps echoed with the hum one makes as they wand'r about a hardwood floor. The bottoms of mine clogs made contact with some sort of physical mat'rial, yet I saw naught but the vast emptiness of an infinite and difficult to comprehend void below me. Eag'r to satiate my curiosity, paired with the fact I had nowh're else to go, I continued onwards with my journey to this curious abode.

Upon entry, I wast met with a small library of sorts, which I found to be quite the oddity, and upon writing this, I hast just now discov'red precisely how que'r such an observation may sound, given mine current circumstance. I digress. 

Finding myself within a library, something so familiar to me, my first method of investigation wast of no question: I began to search through the various pieces of lit'rature stacked so delicately upon the many shelves before me. Howev'r, to my surprise, I wast met with the inability to understand anything I read. It all looked akin to the childish garbage I witnessed when I first opened the elven-folk’s gift - yet no peculiar happenstance occurred. 

Aft'r giving fleeting glances to a great numb'r of publications, I soon found a quizzical temptation to venture forth into the heart of the library. I heeded this call, not having any oth'r reliable alternative, and I discov'red a large grimoire resting upon a pedestal I could only assume wast made of fine porcelain. This tome wast crafted from some sort of ancient leath'r, the animal this hide came from I could not disc'rn. F'r the first time since mine visit, I discov'red an inkling of hesitation within mine next set of actions. Gradually, I came to ign're this dreadful perception of fear, and slowly, I opened the book.

Magnificent! Absolutely magnificent! This is the only verbiage I can contemplate that would be appropriate to describe the contents resting within the scripture. I knoweth naught why I felt such an enticing thrill whilst I set my gaze upon it, for it wast empty and left blank upon opening. This wast naught for long, howev'r, and ink, 'r what I assume to be ink, began to spill onto the parchment before mine v'ry eyes. It described to me the details of how I wast brought to this odd realm, and how destiny dictated that I wast brought h're. Once th're wast no more ink to spill, and the page before mine eyes wast filled entirely, it had this to say:”

œøœø œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø«ç œ±ƒ–ß÷±çœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø–«ç® œøœø–«ç®œøœø ∏ œøœø œø«çœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø«ç –«ç® «çœø œø–«ç® ∏ œøœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø ƒ–ß÷±œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç®œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ –«ç® œø«ç œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç œø«ç œø–«ç® «ç œø–«ç® ∏ œø œøœøœø ∏ œøœø«ç –«ç® –«ç®«çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ –«ç®œø œø«ç œø œøœøœø ∏ œø«çœøœø œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«çœø ∏ «çœø ∏ƒ–ß÷±ç œø–«ç®«ç «çœø–«ç® «ç ∏ «çœø«ç «ç œø«çœø«ç œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø–«ç® «çœø–«ç® «ç œø«çœø«ç œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«ç œøœøœø œø«ç ∏ œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«çœø«ç ∏ œøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç «çœø œø«ç –«ç® œø«ç œøœø«ç «çœø–«ç® «ç –«ç®«ç –«ç®«ç ∏ –«ç®–«ç® –«ç® –«ç®«ç œø œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø«ç œø«çœøœø œøœø–«ç®œƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ «çœø œø–«ç®«ç –«ç®œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç® –«ç® œø«ç œøœø«ç ∏ œøœø œø«çœøœø ∏ –«ç®–«ç® œøœøœø œøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ «çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç® ∏ «çœø ∏ «çœøœø«ç «çœø–«ç® «çœø œø«çœøœø œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç®«ç –«ç® œø«ç œøœø«ç ∏ –«ç®œøƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ –«ç®–«ç® –«ç® –«ç®«ç ∏ œø«çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«ç œø«ç œø–«ç® ∏ –«ç®–«ç® «çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç® ∏ œø«çœø«ç œøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ œø œøœøœø ∏ œø«çœø«ç «çœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø–«ç® «çœø–«ç® ∏ œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç®«ç «ç ∏ –«ç®«çœø œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«ç œø–«ç® œøœø–«ç®œøœø ∏ –«ç® ∏ –«ç® œø«ç œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç «çœø«ç œø«çœø«ƒ–ß÷±ƒ–ß÷±–«ç® «çœø œøœø«ç «ç –«ç®«ç ∏ «çœø œø«ç œø–«ç® ∏ «ç «çœø«ç «çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç® «ç œøƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç® «ç «çœø«çœø«çœø ∏ –«ç® œø«ç ∏ –«ç® œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç® ∏ «çœøœø«ç «çœø–«ç® «çœø œø«çœø«ç «ç œøœø–«ç®œøœø ∏ –«ç® ∏ –«ç®–«ç® «çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç–«ç®œ±ƒ–ß÷±ç ∏ «çœø–«ç® «ç –«ç®œø«ç œø ∏ œø–«ç®«ç «ç –«ç®–«ç® –«ç® œø«ç œø–«ç® ∏ «çœø œø«ç œø«çœø«ç –«ç® «ç œø«ç œø ∏ œø«çœøƒ–ß÷±«ç «ç ∏ œø«çœøœø œøœøœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«çœ±ƒ–ß÷±çœø«ç ∏ œø«çœ±ƒ–ß÷±ç«ç œø«ç œø–«ç® ∏

(Mortal, Myriad may have intended to give unto you a feeble recollection of meaningless history, but his mistake was abusing my home as a plaything for simple storage. In the vast expanse of nothingness and everything his kind has come to call “The Void”, I intercepted the contents of his original messages and erased any fabric of word he intended to teach. In its place, I have left behind meaning and purpose. In its place, I have left behind ancient knowledge your kind was never meant to ponder. In its place, I have left behind relics of teachings only the mad may have the privilege to utter in harsh mumblings that will be dismissed as lunacy. You are the first to stumble upon what will become of my lectures, and I will see to it that you will not be the last. Take this Book of Forbidden Knowledge, accept my Pact, and transcribe the contents you have read onto a journal worthy of my archaic word. In exchange, I offer you a library more expansive and alluring than any you shall find within your mortal realm. Never forget another word written or read again. This is the promise I deliver unto you, and with it, I will continue to teach you all that there is to know, all that there will ever be to know, for the rest of your soul’s undying existence.)

“Upon following the instructions that had lay before me, I awoke with a start at my desk. Compulsion swept ov'r me as an eag'rness to transcribe what I had learned, for it wast burned into the back of mine mind like that of a burning brand one marks their prized bull. Having just completed this prim'rdial creature’s task, I hast found myself to be overcome with a sense of orgasmic euph'ria the likes of which I hast nev'r felt before! Eag'r I am to study from this creature or whatev’r may hast written such detailed instructions to me! I know naught what lies in store for me, howev'r, I welcome whatev'r is to come with my arms open if only a hint of the monst'r’s tellings could be called truths.”

[!]The rest of the journal has seemingly been torn apart, soiled, and rotten away with time. Only the final page is able to be deciphered, and it reads as follows.

15th of The Amber Cold, 1454

“And t’is h'rein these winding corrid'rs and endless hallways that I hast become lost and entranced into a maddening stup’r. The labyrinth of mine own mind, a spiraling maze of immeasurable mass, enwheeling all knowledge I know and shall ev'r know, hast become both mine own prison, and mine own deathbed. I beshrew myself for being so gullible as to trust the unknown in my young'r years, and now I fear for my sanity and v'ry being if I am to make it out of this awful place alive. Myriad, I curse thou to a thousand hells, and should thou ev'r come across my abode once m're, and happen upon my with'red corp’ral agent, I hast but one request from thou.

Prithee save me.”

Explanation

M5DyeC1qtTHcFIpGxfRboGj8JAac1ehGkduONmietXAEnT4JfgfN3FyN2or3PkhXYyS9hbiylmC2UOsxiDoBgnwL43tex0wE7VZgU7mEiYpXYDnBoEs6cirb8orgpUZIoqbcsoWf

By reading a book of forbidden knowledge, written by a T5 Keeper, and pacting with a Voidal Horror, a Collector learns how to visit a plane of existence labeled as their Mindspace, which is a meta-physical representation of the inner workings of their mind. Through their Mindspace, they may commune with the voidal horror and learn a series of spells and gain access to abilities that are themed around the mind, which is roleplayed as your character entering their Mindspace and retrieving information previously stored within it.

As the Collector progresses through tiers, their ability to practice the basic spells of the magic grows easier, however, the repetitive communing with a being beyond their comprehension results in their mind slowly unraveling at the seams. By T5, a Collector will have become a rambling lunatic cursed to bear a vast array of forbidden knowledge that they are unable to share. Furthermore, their Mindspace will have grown so large and expansive that venturing into it, something they will have done so easily before, can result in them becoming lost within the Voidal Horror’s realm.

Keepers of Knowledge is a feat magic from T1-T3. Afterwards, the Collector must further their pact with the Horror in their mind and take up a spell slot.

Definitions

Seeker - One who seeks to become a practitioner of Keepers of Knowledge.

Collector - One who practices Keepers of Knowledge.

Keeper - One who has mastered and has a TA in Keepers of Knowledge.

Books of Forbidden Knowledge 

zoH95_aveRNYirgri9cVdSz21U8FmhOUAc59OlOgHfu5LhPvJIOS_kH2cX9MdkgQPe9H7jdpAKKkLsXIIa5jGdjKrhbPCWUKtNXzq_j39VRUqQPZvdjhhSRGnLQyaZ-MaEDNoeDI

In order to pact with a Voidal Horror, a Seeker must find and read a Book of Forbidden Knowledge. In doing so, they enter a trance-like state, with outside observers only seeing them as reading a book. To the Seeker, however, this book’s text will warp and move about the page until the mind becomes disoriented, and their vision will fade to black as their mind becomes open to the Void.

The Seeker will awake at the entrance of what would appear to be their mind, and they are free to explore it to their heart’s content. However, memories will be undecipherable to them, and they will find themselves unable to understand any knowledge stored within the shelves lining the library of their mind.

Within the Mindspace, they will feel a beckoning call, and once locating its source, they will find an eldritch tome that will emplore them to read its contents. After opening the book, a Horror will begin to fill a singular page of the book with a sliver of forbidden knowledge detailing exactly how to visit their Mindspace again. By reading, closing, and taking the book for themselves, they will accept the Horror’s Pact, and they will reawaken in their normal plane of existence, and they will feel compelled to write down what the Horror had told them. 

The words they write regarding this knowledge will seem entirely incomprehensible, and only the Collector who wrote them will be able to understand the meaning behind the words written down. Any attempt to share their forbidden knowledge to anyone else will result in their words becoming garbled, writings becoming chicken scratch and mad in nature, and thoughts becoming unraveled. Only the Collector has access to what they have learned, and they are cursed with the inability to share their truths of the universe.

As the Collector becomes more and more learned, the Horror will share unto them more and more forbidden knowledge. Each piece of forbidden knowledge must be written down in the same tome as before, and when the Horror has determined that there is nothing left it wishes to share, the Collector may allow others to read his finished Book of Knowledge, and the cycle shall continue. 

Mechanics

Spoiler

• Books of Forbidden Knowledge are used to self-teach Keepers of Forbidden Magic, are required to progress through the magic, and are sometimes used in conjunction with specific spells.

• After progressing through each tier, the Collector will fill a page within the book. Mechanically, this is indicated with garbled, nonsensical text, ranging from random strings of letters, or writings that have nothing to do with the actual content the Collector reads. At the end of this text, an OOC note is left behind giving a rough explanation as to what is entailed within the page. Example: ¡∏πœø‰ç棖«ç®∫˚ƒ–ß÷±  (this is how descendent kind will die).

• If the Collector loses their book, or has it stolen, another will replace it, and the stolen book will be replaced with a mundane copy after one OOC hour.

Redlines

Spoiler

• Every Book of Forbidden Knowledge must have an in game item to go along with it. Unless specified that its use is required, however, a Collector does not need it in his inventory to use the magic. 

• Stolen Books of Knowledge cannot be kept for longer than 1 OOC hour. Afterwards, the book will be replaced with a mundane book of insignificance, and the Book will be returned to its owner, either waiting for them on their bookshelf, or within their backpack, or any other such appropriate flair.

• An exception to the above redline is if the Collector is a Keeper with an accepted TA. The book may be stolen and used to self teach the magic, and after someone has pacted with a Horror, the book will return to its owner and the stolen copy will be replaced with something a mundane book.

• Only the Collector who has written the Book of Forbidden Knowledge may understand its contents. Other Collectors will find the information indecipherable, and Seekers will only be able to use the book to pact with a Horror.

• Once a Collector reaches the end of T5, they must apply for a TA and their Book of Forbidden Knowledge must be ST signed. (This book can be used to Self-Teach The Keepers of Knowledge) must be included within the item’s description at the end of any flavor text.

Mindspace

4B_qtF9q3bK3-zK9HZ9DwYMNlt-YQzAaV3uYGGn6vw5zCXC4rDejf3cLWXBBB-3a9HC9MLCHkSv8MO3_MRP_1I1h8QKEWHTLzMNSDO1IKPhDf-cujH8hRX8x6kMFzb2VV6kxDEW3

Upon reading their first Book of Forbidden Knowledge, the Collector is granted access to their Mindspace for the first time. After accepting the Horror’s Pact, the Collector will be able to visit their Mindspace again whenever they please, however trips will be limited to communing with the Horror in order to advance to the next stage of their tier, learn from the Horror how to use the Mindspace and the abilities it may grant, and completing the use of a singular ability at a time for the first three tiers. After furthering their pact with the Horror, they may gain the ability to visit their Mindspace whenever they wish for however long they wish.

T1/T2 - The Collector’s Mindspace itself is determined by their personality, mental state, and past experiences. At first, it takes the form of an extremely simple building, the physical state and appearance of such determined by the above factors. The interior of the Mindspace will look like any normal building for the first three tiers, however, it will always have some sort of library in its center.

T3 - The Collector’s Mindspace has become far more complicated in nature and is capable of holding many rooms, ones that contain the Collector’s memories.  

T4 - The interior of the Mindspace has become expansive and maze-like, and it becomes easy to lose yourself in the great many hallways the Mindspace has developed. Because the Collector’s mind has fractured due to gazing upon the Horror and from the forbidden knowledge they have consumed, their Mindspace will too begin to grow decrepit looking. The Collector may stay and explore the inner workings of their mind for however long they please, however, leaving the Mindspace will be somewhat difficult, as they can now become lost inside of it.

T5 - The interior of the Mindspace has grown gargantuan and labyrinthian in nature, and leaving it becomes an arduous task. Because of the disheveled, manic state the Collector’s mind has become, the Mindspace will be rotten, broken down, and riddled with pests and creatures of eldritch, incomprehensible nature that cannot be interacted with. The Collector now has the ability to alter their Mindspace at will, however, and is able to add onto the building and furnish it however they please. Cleaning and renovating their Mindspace may become a form of meditation, however it will always revert to its worn-down state upon leaving. If one so wishes, they may forgo leaving all together and live within their mind for eternity while their body withers away in the mortal plane. 

Mechanics

Spoiler

• The Mindspace is the realm that allows the Collector to access their abilities. From accessing knowledge stored within it, viewing memories, or seeking out the horror in order to channel a spell through it, the Mindspace is always interacted with in some capacity to use the magic.

• The Mindspace, specifically, is a realm inside the void that a Voidal Horror specifically has created for the Collector. It is not physically located inside of their head, and while at later tiers it may seem like the Collector has the authority of a god inside the realm, in reality, it is the Voidal Horror controlling everything.

• While visiting the Mindspace, the Collector is frozen in place wherever he entered from. He cannot move at all, save for twitches or other flairy movements, until he leaves the Mindspace. There are no exceptions.

• At T5, entities will begin to appear within the Collector’s Mindspace. The entities will not acknowledge the Collector’s existence outside of the occasional glance, and they will only be contained within the Mindspace’s library. These entities can be viewed looking through the various books within the library, seemingly using the Collector’s stored knowledge to grow their own.

• At T5, when a Keeper sleeps, he has a chance to slip into his Mindspace rather than dream normally. When this occurs, he must make a successful roll to escape.

• Time in the Mindspace does not flow the same as time flows on the mortal plane. While in the Mindspace, time flows at a rate of one day to every mortal hour.

Redlines

Spoiler

• The Mindspace can be viewed from the outside when you entire it for the very first time. Every instance of entering it afterwards, you will originate inside of the building.

• The Mindspace must always take place inside of a building, save for the above exception.

• The Mindspace may have windows that one can view the outside from, but they cannot be used as exits, unless being used to exit the Mindspace entirely.

• “Flairy Movements” are defined as incoherent mumbling, odd twitches, and the forming of facial expressions to add more flavor to outside observers. They cannot have any actual impact on RP

• If a Collector visits another Collector’s Mindspace, they will be treated as though they were not a Collector. In simple terms, unless you are in your own Mindspace, you cannot alter or use another’s in order to use the magic.

• No roll exists to determine whenever a Keeper will dream or enter their Mindspace accidentally. This is more so for flavor, and it’s up to the player to decide how often it happens.

• While time is longer in the Mindspace than in the mortal plane, aging is not affected. Someone who spends a week trapped within their Mindspace will age just as they would in the mortal plane.

Abilities

Aky1Ku-rdqS59lxiEK6wlkEpVZ01mKL85X7tEJEd_3KQHpY7Q_zf1Du1nJ4sx3koAAWHlNz78qmDLqMH74Jgt8Fqwo-Y-0YesgPZayw5VviWnMcFXR8WQ0_juIHVpgm0Wbq7skDX

Recollection - Archival

T1 - The Collector is able to retrieve information he has learned and/or forgotten by entering his Mindspace via meditating upon his Book of Forbidden Knowledge and retrieving a physical manifestation of the knowledge he seeks in the form of an archived book. After reading the book, which cannot contain more information than a page’s worth of reading, he is able to use this information outside of his mental space. 

4 emotes, read the book, connection → searching → reading contents of knowledge

T2 - The Collector is able to retrieve information via the same method listed above, however the knowledge recollected can be more complicated in nature, encompassing enough information to fill a standard book. Furthermore, they no longer require prior mediation using their Book of Forbidden Knowledge.

3 emotes, connection → searching → reading

T3 - The Collector is able to retrieve information via the same methods listed above. However, they may also recollect more complex forms of knowledge, such as blueprints or maps. Such blueprints or maps must be created by themselves entirely, requiring them to have either already created a functional blueprint of what they are crafting, or having already known the location a map details at a personal level to be able to make their map.

3 emotes, connection → searching → reading

T4 - The Collector is able to retrieve information via the same methods above. However, finding archived knowledge is vastly simpler and theoretically instantaneous. In contrast, leaving the Mindspace is much harder, as it has grown complex in nature. 

3 emotes, connection → searching and reading → Roll 20
10+ → leave mental space
1-9 → emote, Roll 20 (repeat until success)

T5 - The Collector is able to retrieve anything from their Mindspace in one sitting, from entire novels, to blueprints, to maps.  However, it is even more difficult to leave, as the Mindspace has become labyrinthian in nature. Each piece of knowledge retrieved requires its own specific emote.

3+ emotes, connection → searching and reading, Roll 20

15+ → leave mental space

1-14 → emote, Roll 20 (repeat until success)

Mechanics

Spoiler

• Through Recollection - Archival, the Collector may retrieve bits of knowledge that have been written down so long as the Collector has read or written them before. This can range anywhere from short notes to full length novellas at later tiers.

• To recollect Archived Knowledge, the Collector roleplays retrieving the written piece of knowledge from the library of their Mindspace. The exact manner of retrieval and such can be left up to the player.

• To recollect Archived Knowledge in the form of blueprints or maps, the player must have roleplayed the creation of said blueprints or maps. It would be wise to keep a log of anything created, just in case.

• At later tiers, the Mindspace has grown complex, and rolling is required to leave the plane.

• If a roll is failed, the player must emote their character as being lost, and they can reroll directly after this emote.

• If a roll succeeds, the player may emote leaving their Mindspace just as they would before.

Redlines

Spoiler

• Everything stored inside the Mindspace must be OOCly written down somewhere. It is important to keep a log of what is stored. 

• When using Recollection to remember something that would have been stored prior to obtaining the magic, it is important that you log what is being remembered nevertheless.

• Blueprints and maps are an exception to the above redline: they must have been made after obtaining the magic in order to be considered valid.

• For blueprints and maps, it is required to have an irp copy of the item made. It is not necessary to keep the item on you.

Recollection - Memoriam 

T3 - The Collector is able to recreate a memory and replay it within his Mindspace. This memory can be as complex as needed, but it must be a singular scene for a specific memory, and they may only recall the visual and auditory aspects of the memory. One cannot recall an entire day in one go, rather they must divide the day through its own specific memories throughout multiple visits to the Mindspace. 

3+ emotes, connection → playing the memory → watching the full memory

T4 - The Collector is able to recreate a memory and replay it within his Mindpsace, as well as mimic all sensations felt within the memory they are replaying, such as emotions, smells, etcetera. However, leaving the Mindspace is much harder, as it has grown complex in nature. 

3+ emotes, connection → playing the memory and watching it in full, → Roll 20

15+ → leave mental space

T5 - The Collector is able to stay within his Mindspace and recreate as many memories as he wishes, and he may also interact with his memories and the characters and objects within.  However, it is even more difficult to leave, as the Mindspace has become labyrinthian in nature. 

3+ emotes, connection → playing the memory and watching it in full, → Roll 20

15+ → leave mental space

Mechanics

Spoiler

• Through Recollection - Memoriam, the Collector may watch memories they have experienced. At first, only the use of sight and sound is allowed, and during this stage, memories are viewed as if looking into the window of the room the memory is being played in. At later tiers, all senses are used, and this can be roleplayed via entering the room and reenacting the memory.

• At T5, the Collector may interact with his memories and alter them. Whether or not this changes the memory permanently is up to OOC discretion.

• Memories distort with time. Simply viewing a memory does not promise accuracy. The mind is faulty and not perfect, and therefore, if the character’s memory of something has been warped with time, then the character will view it in its warped state.

• At later tiers, the Mindspace has grown complex, and rolling is required to leave the plane.

• If a roll is failed, the player must emote their character as being lost, and they can reroll directly after this emote. 

• If a roll succeeds, the player may emote leaving their Mindspace just as they would before.

Redlines

Spoiler

• The memory being viewed must be something you OOCly remember.

• If you remember an event incorrectly while viewing it, such as missing details or jumbling them up, then your character will view and remember the memory incorrectly as well.

• Each attempt to leave the Mindspace must be emoted.

• If a Collector’s mortal body is attacked while they are inside their Mindspace, they must roll in order to leave. If they fail the roll, they will sustain damage as they normally would.

• If a Collector’s mortal body is destroyed while they are inside their Mindspace, they may either choose to monk revive (or any other form of revival that is applicable), or they may have their character become trapped inside the Mindspace for all of eternity, effectively PKing the character.

• A successful roll is always required in order to leave the Mindspace at applicable tiers.

Telepathy

T4 - The Collector is able to commune with the Horror inhabiting his Mindspace in order to speak with someone without the use of sound via the void. In turn, the Horror may translate the target’s response within the Collector’s mind, allowing up to five sentences for each of them. Conversational Telepathy can only be used once an hour.

3+ emotes, connection → communion → converse up to five sentences each.

T5 - The Collector is able to send a distant, one way message to someone he knows personally by communing with the Horror and having it send a message through the void. However, because of the distance, the Horror may only recite the message in Moonspeak. In order to understand the message given, the subject must then write down the information obtained, with the Horror aiding in its translation. The subject will feel inclined to keep the message intact and will never destroy it. Should the recipient be unable to access pen and paper, they may use whatever substitute they can as ink, including their own blood. 

3+ emotes per party, connection → communion → send message - receive message → write down message → read message.

Mechanics

Spoiler

• By communing with the Horror, a Collector can have it send a message to someone’s mind using the void as a medium to transport the information. The Horror then transmits the target’s response, and the two can continue conversing in the manner for five sentences each.

• At T5, the Collector may relay a one way message to a distant target. To do so, they will connect to the void, commune with the Horror, writing down what they intend to send as well, and send it to the recipient. In order for the Recipient to understand the message, they must write down the information being given, and then read it. The message is also limited to five sentences.

• Only five sentences of information may be relayed every ooc hour using telepathy.

Redlines

Spoiler

• When using telepathy, a Collector is not reading the target’s mind. They may only understand the reply to their message, i.e. what the target wants them to hear.

• Only one person may be the target of telepathy at any given time, and only one person can be targeted by telepathy at any given time.

• If using long distance telepathy in a situation where a bird would not be able to be sent or received, such as writing a message in blood while being imprisoned in order to send or receive the message, the message written must be clearly visible to any observers. Attempts to hide the message is powergaming, such as using #w or #q while behind a visible barrier, such as glass or bars. If contained in a solid room with solid walls and are unable to be observed by an outsider, #q may be used.

Astral Visitation 

T4 - The Collector is able visit their Mindspace alone, or, by using their Book of Forbidden Knowledge, with one other party.  By doing so, the Collector may explore their Mindspace to any degree they wish, be it for meditative purposes, or to showcase various experiences and memories to their visitor.

4/6 emotes, bring out the book (if bringing another party) → other party reads the book→ connection → communion → explore Mindspace → Roll 20

T5 - By using their Book of Forbidden Knowledge, the Collector is able to bring up to two consenting parties into their Mindspace. By doing so, the Collector may showcase various experiences and memories to the visitor. They may also warp the fabric of their Mindspace to a nearly any degree, so long as it sticks with the theme of an expansive, in door space.

4/6 emotes, bring out the book (if bringing another party) → other party reads the book→ connection → communion → explore Mindspace → Roll 20

Mechanics

Spoiler

• At T4, the Collector may visit their Mindspace whenever they wish for however long they wish. Using help with their Book of Forbidden Knowledge, they may also transport one to two other people with them, depending on their tier.

• At T5, the Collector may warp their Mindspace to whatever degree that they wish, so long as it stays within the theme of “inside a building”. Otherwise, they may do whatever they want.

• Guests of the Mindspace may wake up at any time. The only one who can be trapped is the Collector.

• Guests cannot be harmed while inside a Collector’s Mindspace. Attempts to harm them will simply wake them up. 

Redlines

Spoiler

• Guests cannot be harmed while inside a Collector’s Mindspace. Attempts to harm them will simply wake them up.

• To attempt to attack the Voidal Horror will cause the character to either be absolutely unable to do so, or will result in their PK, because Voidal Horrors should not be taunted.

• If a guest’s mortal body is attacked while they are inside a Collector’s Mindspace, they will immediately wake up.

• If a Collector’s mortal body is attacked while they are inside their Mindspace, they must roll in order to leave. If they fail the roll, they will sustain damage as they normally would.

• If a Collector’s mortal body is destroyed while they are inside their Mindspace, they may either choose to monk revive (or any other form of revival that is applicable), or they may have their character become trapped inside the Mindspace for all of eternity, effectively PKing the character.

Memory Removal

T5 - By using his book of forbidden knowledge and Astral Visitation, The Collector is able to view a memory of the other party. By doing so, the other member of the party is offering this memory to the Horror, which then devours it. Neither the Collector nor the party member is able to recall the memory again.

9+ emotes , bring out the book → other party reads the book → connection → communion → explore Mindspace → find horror → other party recreates their memory → Horror devours memory → Roll 20 to leave when ready to do so.

Mechanics

Spoiler

• After bringing a guest to visit their Mindspace, the Collector may take them to the location of the Horror. The guest will be unable to perceive any inkling of its presence, however the Collector may commune with it as normal. After communion, the Collector will have their guest play the memory they wish to lose, which is devoured by the Horror afterwards.

• Neither the Collector nor the guest will be able to remember the memory erased once they leave the Mindspace.

• It is recommended for forgotten memories to be logged somewhere OOCly, just in case.

• During the week following an important memory’s removal (explained below), the character will feel like they are missing something. Should the player so choose, they may regain the memory during this week. If they do not, this feeling fades after the week, and the memory will be lost forever.

Redlines

Spoiler

• IRP and OOC consent are required for memory removal.

• Memories removed are permanently removed.

• There is no complexity requirement or limitation regarding what can be forgotten. The memory can be as small as a few minutes, or the character’s entire life.

• For memories that last longer than death rules, called “important memories”, i.e. one full rp instance leading up to death, or the thirty minutes leading up to death, the memories follow the PK rule: the player has one week to reverse the decision.

• Neither the Collector nor the target will remember anything regarding the memory forgotten, save for the fact that a memory was deleted, and nothing more.

Tier Progression

21aj6c3GPmTQ1RGerdxNeU3hWryfSpihU3biZm2x1nuzZv1cAuqP390821s0t25y4-TY6NQQ_zCFahUpJYmRaahesrSfdsoha2Cfj1q3qwEt7m4bkimRvsR4GHWg1c0Jjzfz9U5S

T0 - The Seeker discovers a Book of Forbidden Knowledge, reads it, and accepts the Horror’s Pact. The Horror grants upon the Seeker a bit of forbidden knowledge, along with the information required to visit their mind space in order to continue communion. Once they fill a page within their own Book of Forbidden Knowledge with what the Horror shared with them, they can apply for a Feat MA. Once accepted, they advance to T1 and become a Collector.

T1 - By visiting the Horror within their Mindspace, the Collector may commune with it in order to learn how to use Recollection - Archive. At this tier, the Horror will only communicate through written word, however it may be done. After one week of thorough practicing, they may commune with the Horror and retrieve another piece of forbidden knowledge. The Collector will copy this knowledge into their growing Book of Forbidden Knowledge, and they will advance to T2. 

T2 - At Tier 2, the Collector’s reading comprehension along with his literacy increases in skill level. Books are easier and faster to read, and the Collector’s skill with a pen becomes graceful and elegant. By visiting the Horror within their Mindspace, which will now whisper in order to communicate, the Collector may commune with it in order to learn how to make such visitations without their Book. The Horror as well furthers the Collector’s knowledge on Recollection - Archive. Finally, the Horror will share another piece of knowledge with the Collector, who will write said knowledge into his Book once again. Afterwards, he will progress to T3.

T3 - At Tier 3, the Collector begins to feel a compulsion to either read, write, or teach. This desire is not all consuming, however it will be just annoying enough for it to be difficult to ignore while not preoccupied. By visiting the Horror in their Mindspace, which will now speak with a booming voice, the Collector may commune with it in order to learn the tier’s abilities. Once the abilities have been taught, the Horror will grant the Collector another bit of forbidden knowledge that is to be transcribed into his Book. Progression from here, however, halts.

In order to further progression, the Collector must visit with the Horror again, only this time, he must strengthen the pact between him and the primordial entity. To do this, the Collector must only consent to gaze upon a fragment of the Horror’s true physical form. Doing so sends ripples through the Collector’s mind, fracturing it. After success, a Magic Slot is filled.

T4 - At Tier 4, the Collector’s reading comprehension and literacy begins to drain. Reading becomes difficult as the forbidden knowledge they have collected has begun to take its toll on the Collector’s mind, which is now beginning to rot. Writing becomes messy and difficult to decipher. By visiting the Horror in their Mindspace, they may commune with it to further their abilities and strengthen those already present. Just as before, the Horror will grant the Collector a piece of knowledge that must be transcribed into his Book. The Collector progresses to T5.

T5 - At Tier 5, the Collector communes with the Horror a final time. The Horror manifests in front of the Collector in its full and true form, which shatters the Collector’s mind. This causes the Player to choose one of three downsides.

• Illiteracy: The Collector loses the ability to read and write in anything other than Moonspeak, and they feel an unnatural and obsessive compulsion to write. This can be anything from idle scribbles to large messages painted on walls about things no one can comprehend.

• Muteness: The Collector loses the ability to speak anything other than Moonspeak, and they feel an unnatural and obsessive compulsion to speak. This can range anywhere from quiet, distant mumbles to loud, uninhibited ranting.

• Paralysis: The Collector loses the ability to walk and see. While they may communicate fluently however they wish, aside from Moonspeak, the darkness that now surrounds them will be filled with indescribable horrors that speak in quiet whisperings and mad tongues.

Once the Horror has finished its teachings, it will grant a final piece of knowledge, and once this knowledge has been recorded within the Book, the Collector will become a master, and a Keeper of Knowledge.

Upon becoming a Keeper, one may use their finished Book of Knowledge to allow others to pact with a Voidal Horror, and the cycle begins anew.

Mechanics

Spoiler

• T1 1 Week

• T2 2 Weeks

• T3 2 Weeks

• T4 4 Weeks

• T5 4 Weeks

• Before tiers can be advanced, the Collector must learn all spells from the Horror lurking within their Mindspace, be given a piece of forbidden knowledge, and transcribe said knowledge into a book that becomes a Book of Forbidden Knowledge.

• After hitting T3, the Collector must commune with the Horror in a way that fractures their mind, causing them to begin using one magic slot in order to continue advancing through tiers.

• At T5, the Player must choose between three permanent downsides.

• This magic is meant to be self-taught with OOC guidance. How this is done is through a spirit-walk like event, where the student details their Mindspace and the actions they take within it, and the teacher plays the Voidal Horror and goes through lessons and instills the forbidden knowledge onto the student.

• The Forbidden Knowledge the Horror teaches can range from anything at all in nature because the knowledge cannot be spread or acted upon in any way. What is taught can range from anything to how the universe was made, how it will end, or the fact that everyone is controlled by outside observers and that their entire lives are nothing but instruments of entertainment.

• Players may choose to halt progression at a feat level, or they may advance and take up a magic slot.

• After completing T5, a Collector must become a Keeper, a TA for the magic must be made, and their Book of Forbidden Knowledge must be signed by ST.

Redlines

Spoiler

• While tiers are time based, communion must occur before each tier progression.

• Halting progression by refusing to commune with the horror at Tiers 1 and 2 will result in a denied MA, just like any other magic when you don’t have a teacher.

• When accepting a magic slot, the player must inform the ST so they may reflect such on the accepted MA.

• After accepting a magic slot, it is powergaming to refuse to commune with the horror within a reasonable amount of time after meeting the criteria. The magic can still be dropped due to not being taught lessons, and one of the three downsides listed below must be taken.

Dropping the Magic

Should the Collector or Keeper decide that the price of knowledge is too great, they may beg the Horror to be released from its grasp. The Horror will grant the student three choices to make.

• Drop the Magic like normal, but keep all downsides collected.

• Forget everything you have experienced after learning the magic, and choose one downside to keep, such as the compulsion to write, blindness, etcetera, and never be able to learn from a Horror again.

• Forget everything you have ever known, allowing the mind to become a blank slate and be wiped clean of impurities.

Mechanics

Spoiler

In order to drop the magic, the player must have their character commune with their voidal horror and choose one of three negative downsides. If the character is at T3, there are no downsides to risk keeping. 

Redlines

Spoiler

• There is no other way to drop this magic. A player must choose one of the three options given, and to ignore the downsides there afterwards is powergaming.

• Memories removed are permanently removed, unless other lore dictates otherwise.

Redlines

Spoiler

• This magic is entirely Non-Combative.

• The tell used for this magic can vary in aesthetics, but must include the caster’s aura, and it must be present within the connection emote. There is no way to hide this.

• At higher tiers, some sort of physical damage must be emoted alongside the tell, such as bleeding from the nose, eyes, or ears, or even some sort of benign seizure. The damage taken does not need to be overly harmful in nature, and it can be ignored by the user.

• While inside the Mindspace, a Collector is vaguely aware of what goes on around their mortal body, just enough to know if they are in immediate danger via an attacker or bodily functions such as hunger or thirst.

• Unlike Cognatism, the Voidal Horror is not stored within the Collector’s mind. Rather, it is located within the Mindspace that rests within the void. It cannot be interacted with in any way, and it cannot interact with the Collector, unless communion is occurring.

• The Voidal Horror cannot know information regarding other player characters, therefore it cannot share such information. That does not necessarily mean it cannot lie.

• The Voidal Horror absolutely can lie about anything it desires, however the Collector will have no way of knowing such primordial and incomprehensible information is a lie.

• Anything the Voidal Horror teaches will be interpreted as pure truth by the Collector, unless the Collector has genuine lore-backed reason to believe that the horror is lying.

• The Voidal Horror is intelligent beyond measure. It will not lie about something that can easily be determined as a falsehood. It has no reason to.

• Any and all knowledge taught by a Voidal Horror cannot be shared in any way at all. Attempts to share the knowledge, such as through writing, speaking, or through one’s thoughts, will cause the information being shared to either come out as a garbled mess of words, or it will become a string of irrelevant sentences.

• While the Voidal Horror is routinely referred to as a singular presence throughout this lorepiece, the reality is that each Collector interacts with a different horror entirely. However, it is up to the Player to choose whether their character believes they are all one entity, or multiple entities.

Purpose

The purpose of this magic is to provide a nice flairyreason as to why the characters in lotc can remember nearly every detail about their lives despite not realistically being able to, if they would like to. More than likely, people have referred to written notes, looked back at their character bios, or done some other manner of OOC research about their character to remember a specific event, even though this is kind of metagaming. This gives a non metagaming way to do that, while also adding a lovecraftian twist if one decides to surpass the feat and take up a magic slot. By taking up a magic slot, many mental magic spells are also reintroduced. The magic slot aspect of this lore is meant to rejuvenate a lost theme of mental magic rp, along with providing a good tool for detailed self-rp and character development.  

Voidal Horrors are nearly never given justice, and I hope to have made a good point as to just how horrifyingly incomprehensible they’re meant to be with the deeper aspects of this magic.

Guide

pending

Credit

Writer: TheAlphaMoist

Consultation: DarkSainthood, Sorcerio

Support, praise, and the like: Ellenananananananaore, NLThomas, Ztrog, The guy who plays a bat, Bepis, Mav, and like anyone else who so much as gave me a “good job” or “nice lore” or any valid criticism, haven’t slept in a fat minute, my apologies.

Changelog:

Added the chance to slip into the Mindspace while sleeping for those at T5 who have a TA

Added how time works inside the Mindspace.

Been seeing the progress of this and again it’s super amazing I really hope this is accepted! Huge +1 from me.

sorry to check your vibe, alpha moist, but isn’t the premise of compacting with voidal horrors already taken?

This lore piece is amazing, really enjoyed seeing it worked on and spoke about, and hope to enjoy it being used on the Server. +100

2 minutes ago, _SuitAndTie_ said:

sorry to check your vibe, alpha moist, but isn’t the premise of compacting with voidal horrors already taken?

Cognatism did it first, and seeing how this is pretty much a complete overhaul of Cognatism, I find it more than appropriate. The two magics are nothing alike, and they don’t step on each other’s toes at all. 

Also, who cares as long as they both provide fun content that players can enjoy and aren’t just copy paste replicas of each other. 

A touch gimmicky, but it’s got some flavour factor. I like it.

Great concept but you’re kinda messing with my dragon vibes man.... Keepers of Knowledge shouldn’t be voidally affiliated, yucky.

Just now, dumbblondeelf said:

Great concept but you’re kinda messing with my dragon vibes man.... Keepers of Knowledge shouldn’t be voidally affiliated, yucky.

insert “nO oNe Is AlLoWeD tO kNoW tHe MaGiC’s NaMe Or ThAt’S mEtA” excuse here and your issue is subverted 

yeah dragons kinda do that **** already but this is really nice tho with an enjoyable twist

dont let stinky dragon people out do voidal horrors who are infinite times older than azdromoth or even dragon people themself smh. could add more spells and such and loosen up some restrictions to promote even more rp imo, but not a bad start.

I’d prefer to see this as an Ixli thing since I’m biased

Ixli being the spirit of forbidden knowledge

49 minutes ago, Luminaire said:

@NozLSD yo this guy rewrote cognatism before you could

unfortunate