[✗] [World Lore] - Clarite

Kimika

Clarite

r6a5ne4qtYuNvw2c4HdaAjjHpdYU6Vna90oaJjUwfYhXdyIVW37PvtWZ9YXtwnQGDDlzZjRZSA1Ftcr4ecNsgeV2QCGBU69knaTt4-maG_gpMgw119E9SIylIF45E1rtQl02wANo

Material Name and Description

Clarite is a smooth, shiny stone, typically found in the waters of Almaris. Its sea-green color makes it harder to spot in oceanic waters, but it’s a bit rarer in clear waters. It has the ability to draw infection or poison from a wound, subsequently “filling” the stone. When full, it crumbles into a dust that can be used as an ingredient in alchemy. In drawing out the infection, it increases blood flow to the wounded area. The amount of infection the stone can hold depends on the size of the piece. When used, the rock fills with a white, slowly moving mist-like substance, and becomes completely white when full.

There’s specific amounts of infection that can be brought out, depending on the size of the wound. Typically, for every inch of stone, a half-inch of wound is cured of infections and poisons. This is measured in the biggest length of either.

As it’s formed in the water, the rock is eroded down, giving it its lustrous appearance. It’s about as strong as regular sedimentary stone. It’s impossible to find pieces big enough to make into weapons or armor, due to erosion and the way the crystal forms. If broken, it becomes jagged and sharp, but it would still be no more useful as a weapon than your average rock.

Clarite is typically kept on hand by medics, occasionally made into jewelry.

As the use of Clarite depends on the chemical reaction of Clarite with the poison or infection, it can only draw out certain things. Similar to how salt can draw out infection or poison, but more specific-- in return, it’s a bit stronger, and far less painful. Most naturally occuring toxins can be drawn out. However, magical ones, especially those that affect the soul, can’t be helped.

General Redlines

• Mystical poisons such as Sprite toxins (or Fae venoms in general) or Blight cannot be drawn out. 

• Anything that damages the soul cannot be drawn out.

• Things that are inhaled could not be drawn out.

• Alcohol or alcohol-based venoms aren’t drawn out.

•  

Applications

Clarite is typically kept on hand by medics, occasionally made into jewelry.

Besides the healing properties, Clarite dust (made after the stone is used and broken) can also be used as an alchemical reagent. The unused stone itself has no alchemical properties.

Alchemical Properties of Clarite Dust

Signs- Earth, Water

Symbols- Life x2, Strength x1, Purity x1

General Redlines

• Clarite stone cannot be ground to dust and consumed. It only works by touching a whole piece of the stone to an open wound.

• Clarite cannot be consumed at all, unless you want to choke on a rock. Pieces small enough to consume wouldn’t be enough to heal the inner wounds, even if you ate a multitude of them.

• Clarite cannot heal ingested poison, as it doesn’t leave any open wounds. Even if the poison results in leisures on the skin, it would only draw the poison out of that wound, and not the entire body.

• You cannot resurrect or bring back anything that’s already been damaged. For example, if your organs fail due to poison before you use the stone, you cannot “un-damage” the organs.

• The dust only has alchemical properties after the stone is used and breaks apart on its own. While you can grind down the stone, it wouldn’t have alchemical properties until it has been used.

Harvesting Method

Harvesting Clarite is a bit of a feat, only because swinging a pickaxe underwater isn’t an easy task. Besides, it’s much harder to find in actual water due to its color. As such, Clarite is typically harvested in underwater caves. One can harvest it as they would any normal gemstone-- best done with a pickaxe, of any material that can break your average stone.

wmAVG3v1Bs4nKAE3uIhUlwV-hT5KX_sDyflrVkJv8_ToqtjYb9TeCMq89AJLfCjWOiUlCUh7DJ1Z_e3orvbkMNGmmkDirBdpKt9rJlQFYY5ER2QtSR00eAILgTs9an4Dj9TjbVgk

Harvesting Redlines

• Can only mine pieces up to 5lbs at a time.

Purpose (OOC)

Spoiler

With this material, I intended to give Almaris a bit more flavor, having materials that are new to players. I also feel it would be a useful addition to generate medical RP.

Citations (OOC)

Spoiler

Kimika for writing, and strifeg0d, Timberbuff, Fruune, Strongbear, and Vic for giving feedback and ideas.

correct me if i missed it in the lore piece but how do you think clarite would work against other liquids? why is it only specifically poison?  i very much like the design of the material though. i just think its weird how it coincidentally only works with poison without much explanation on how it does so

18 minutes ago, FlipChimp said:

correct me if i missed it in the lore piece but how do you think clarite would work against other liquids? why is it only specifically poison?  i very much like the design of the material though. i just think its weird how it coincidentally only works with poison without much explanation on how it does so

That’s a good point! I’d think of it as a sort of chemical reaction, like how salt can draw out both poison and infection, but Clarite would only do so to specific poisons. If that’s the case, I should redline what exactly it draws out. Thanks for pointing that out owo

17 minutes ago, Kimika said:

Thanks for pointing that out owo

no problem , i also would think it would be better if you further defined some parts about this lore- such as the amounts of poison that can be taken in by clarite relative to its specific sizes- as the lore piece has that topic p vague saying it just depends on what the size is. depending on how much poison a person has taken, its probably best to sort that out now
also +1 to this piece, i really like it

would be cool if you could beat someone with clarite to heal them.

nice and purposeful piece of lore tho +1👍

While I believe this is an extended lore piece to your open CA to allow their venom neurotoxin to be more permissible, I do think this material is alright. I generally hate the idea of venom and poison in LoTC because annoying assassination becomes much more prevalent with its presence and this lore allows for it to exist. 

But it is a cool material that might make poisons and venoms much more acceptable and reasonable. Just maybe. 

1 minute ago, Ryloth said:

While I believe this is an extended lore piece to your open CA to allow their venom neurotoxin to be more permissible, I do think this material is alright. I generally hate the idea of venom and poison in LoTC because annoying assassination becomes much more prevalent with its presence and this lore allows for it to exist. 

But it is a cool material that might make poisons and venoms much more acceptable and reasonable. Just maybe. 

I just edited it to specify the poisons it can and cannot heal. As fae are from a different realm, I assume their venom’s chemical makeup would be different. Therefore, I redlined that a Fae’s poison can’t be healed by this.

Just now, Kimika said:

I just edited it to specify the poisons it can and cannot heal. As fae are from a different realm, I assume their venom’s chemical makeup would be different. Therefore, I redlined that a Fae’s poison can’t be healed by this.

I think it should. You as the writer of both have the ability to make it what you will, so personally I'd make it so. You could also make it eatable in small quantities like a charcoal tab to dilute and neutralize poisons that have been ingested. 

3 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

I think it should. You as the writer of both have the ability to make it what you will, so personally I'd make it so. You could also make it eatable in small quantities like a charcoal tab to dilute and neutralize poisons that have been ingested. 

i personally care to disagree, showing its limitations makes it more enjoyable in my opinion because it shows that its not a wonderball cure-all solution to poison that you can just pop like a pill when you get poisoned to avoid any and all consequences 

22 minutes ago, FlipChimp said:

i personally care to disagree, showing its limitations makes it more enjoyable in my opinion because it shows that its not a wonderball cure-all solution to poison that you can just pop like a pill when you get poisoned to avoid any and all consequences 

Not much of a lore writer myself, but I'll agree with that. Could make it in a little more "realistic" in a sense where you can perhaps have different variations to cure different stuff. It'd make it more complex and interesting.

1 hour ago, GoodGuyMatt said:

Not much of a lore writer myself, but I'll agree with that. Could make it in a little more "realistic" in a sense where you can perhaps have different variations to cure different stuff. It'd make it more complex and interesting.

Maybe I’ll elaborate on it later, I’m just gonna see what the ST say for now. But I do like that idea; this could just be one type

1 hour ago, FlipChimp said:

Well, I certainly didn't say it shouldn't have limitations or be a cure-all. 

1 hour ago, Kimika said:

Maybe I’ll elaborate on it later, I’m just gonna see what the ST say for now. But I do like that idea; this could just be one type

Yea ofc there's always room to add more or imrpove. Pretty sure it'd be chemically impossible but maybe like maybe it can have different effects in different states, such as being like full crystal, or dust, or find some way to liquify it.