The Lack of Unwalled Towns and Cities in LOTC.

camocat9

Muffins llyria was partially ganked for being a home to “cringe” magic rpers and “ski_king disciples” and other “sutican” rpers.

belvitz was a part of oren while it did catch raids said raids could be readily repelled and there wasnt like, much ooc hatred/derision directed at the players of belvitz

58 minutes ago, LotsOfMuffins said:

Concerning walls, my two cents:

Llyria. 

Thank you for coming to my tedtalk. 

44 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

personally i think its just the aesthetic of the race or culture. Think it’s absurd wood elven nations insist(ed) on having massive walls such as in irrinor or gladewynn, until they landscarred that whole area with a massive ******* mountain to remove the need for them (yet still had them), it just doesn’t make any sense thematically to me. But will I knock it outside of an insanely specific and nobody-cares niche-complaint? Not really. I understand the need, let em do what they want. Typically it’s to avoid bandits. Say what you want most bandits are extremely low effort and are just a nuisance that contribute nothing to rp, and the counter of “just get guards lol” doesnt work because players aren’t ******* npcs. Makes headaches a lot easier-  which is why gated communities, albeit annoying to get into (haelunor) are a lot more successful in that regard.

based

Well as i see alit of people saying that walls are important and serve the same purpose as irl just know that only the capital had walls and all the other towns were unwalled, and in my opinion unwalled placed are much more fun to rp in as you dont have to wait like a hour for a guard to come online to open the gates for you and as for bandits they provide fun rp too 

1 minute ago, Chrisoulis777 said:

Well as i see alit of people saying that walls are important and serve the same purpose as irl just know that only the capital had walls and all the other towns were unwalled, and in my opinion unwalled placed are much more fun to rp in as you dont have to wait like a hour for a guard to come online to open the gates for you and as for bandits they provide fun rp too 

that’s because walls irl take serious man hours to construct. in lotc it takes like 10 minutes to make a wall design, 10 minutes to paste it around a city on a build server, and 2 hours with an energy drink to litematica the build in. if it took that little time and manpower irl, everything would have walls.

33 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

that’s because walls irl take serious man hours to construct. in lotc it takes like 10 minutes to make a wall design, 10 minutes to paste it around a city on a build server, and 2 hours with an energy drink to litematica the build in. if it took that little time and manpower irl, everything would have walls.

While this is the case, the way I see it is that there are players who enjoy living outside of walls-- of course, having unwalled towns and villages may not be the best way to ‘win’, but I do not think this should really matter in a roleplay server. The point is to create a story in a fantasy world, and having unwalled locations is something that would come up in a world such as this one-- yet, there are so few.

20 minutes ago, camocat9 said:

While this is the case, the way I see it is that there are players who enjoy living outside of walls-- of course, having unwalled towns and villages may not be the best way to ‘win’, but I do not think this should really matter in a roleplay server. The point is to create a story in a fantasy world, and having unwalled locations is something that would come up in a world such as this one-- yet, there are so few.

gotta solve the banditry problem first. conflict rp will lead to a settlement finding walls more and more a necessity. brandybrook is about the only example of a non-walled settlement that functions, because the only purpose of raiding brandybrook is to raze and terrorize. it’s hardly even worth it, and it’s just a bit toxic. any other settlement though, they have militaries and – typically – a reason to raid.

unfortunately when the server has a multi-life rule in effect where you die and respawn, there is no risk of death, and therefore walls will always exist because bandits will incessantly return. but that’s a whole other argument which effectively nullifies this one without the other being solved first.

7 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

gotta solve the banditry problem first. conflict rp will lead to a settlement finding walls more and more a necessity. brandybrook is about the only example of a non-walled settlement that functions, because the only purpose of raiding brandybrook is to raze and terrorize. it’s hardly even worth it, and it’s just a bit toxic. any other settlement though, they have militaries and – typically – a reason to raid.

unfortunately when the server has a multi-life rule in effect where you die and respawn, there is no risk of death, and therefore walls will always exist because bandits will incessantly return. but that’s a whole other argument which effectively nullifies this one without the other being solved first.

Depending on the type of settlement, a very similar situation to Brandybrook could occur. Most likely if these places were built under the rule of nations, these nations would be the ones responsible for their defense-- and given their size, there would be little chance that anyone was actually assigned to guard said location.

Ves had walls that weren’t high enough and as a result we were attacked constantly by people who parkoured over low sections of wall to bunnyhop over roofs and shoot crossbow bolts at citizens.

“get guards” isn’t really a solution, because this is a video game people play in their free time over multiple timezones. “Peak hours” are impossible to define and not everyone can be on the server full-time. Walls are the only tractable way to prevent random deathmatches at 2 in the morning. 

Also, the activity plugin is programmed to only count people standing inside your region and emoting every few minutes. This means if you’re an active charter but your people happen to wander outside the region to roleplay for a few hours, you lose hours of activity. As an accident of this one plugin’s lazy programming, people have started using walls to corral people inside activity check regions and maximize activity.

Walls aren’t even that historically inaccurate, I think most towns in the middle ages had at least minor earthworks and a palisade. There’s a separate issue of LotC’s countrysides having no farms or cottages, because region owners monopolize 100% of the land on the server and staff punish them for having citizens who roleplay out of activity squares.

2 hours ago, tasty_cheesecake said:

Muffins llyria was partially ganked for being a home to “cringe” magic rpers and “ski_king disciples” and other “sutican” rpers.

belvitz was a part of oren while it did catch raids said raids could be readily repelled and there wasnt like, much ooc hatred/derision directed at the players of belvitz

It was ganked for making retarded political decisions. People gave llyria **** either way. Doesn’t change the fact that they were subjected to hourly pseudo raids, raidbaiting, and shitty banditry that no one could even attempt to defend because of the lack of walls.

1 hour ago, monkey poacher said:

Ves had walls that weren’t high enough and as a result we were attacked constantly by people who parkoured over low sections of wall to bunnyhop over roofs and shoot crossbow bolts at citizens.

“get guards” isn’t really a solution, because this is a video game people play in their free time over multiple timezones. “Peak hours” are impossible to define and not everyone can be on the server full-time. Walls are the only tractable way to prevent random deathmatches at 2 in the morning. 

Also, the activity plugin is programmed to only count people standing inside your region and emoting every few minutes. This means if you’re an active charter but your people happen to wander outside the region to roleplay for a few hours, you lose hours of activity. As an accident of this one plugin’s lazy programming, people have started using walls to corral people inside activity check regions and maximize activity.

Walls aren’t even that historically inaccurate, I think most towns in the middle ages had at least minor earthworks and a palisade. There’s a separate issue of LotC’s countrysides having no farms or cottages, because region owners monopolize 100% of the land on the server and staff punish them for having citizens who roleplay out of activity squares.

My goal in this post was really an attempt to promote more farms and cottages-- or, more specifically, just to promote an LOTC countryside. These large cities are do not always provide the type of close-knit roleplay that some players seek when they are on the server-- some people enjoy living in smaller locations just so they can get to know the people there better. If these towns and villages were close to larger cities, and there wasn’t any roleplay in the small town, players could easily travel to one of the walled roleplay hubs to interact with others.

i think some backwater duchy rp would be cool, but i’m not entirely sure how possible it’d be

5 hours ago, tasty_cheesecake said:

Based.

Unwalled cities are hella inviting too.

Raids and banditry are virtually nonexistent anyway, and warclaims arent really a thing anymore (not to mention that you’re given weeks to completely redesign your city if you do get warclaimed). Problem w/ walled cities is that they gotta have people on to commit to gate duty. There were so many times I’d run up to a city just for the gate to be closed and no guard on duty. Personally I actually prefer the smaller-scale RP in small towns and minor holdings and can’t stand big city RP, but I know I’m in the minority here so I won’t advocate for it. Instead, I think nations should at least look into have certain sections of their city being unwalled and accessible.

The way our staff has set up the activity & charter system means splitting up your core playerbase amongst small towns isn’t as viable. If your nation cannot keep a certain % of the playerbase inside it’s area then it faces repercussions.