The Lack of Unwalled Towns and Cities in LOTC.

camocat9

23 minutes ago, Nectorist said:

Based.

Unwalled cities are hella inviting too.

Raids and banditry are virtually nonexistent anyway, and warclaims arent really a thing anymore (not to mention that you’re given weeks to completely redesign your city if you do get warclaimed). Problem w/ walled cities is that they gotta have people on to commit to gate duty. There were so many times I’d run up to a city just for the gate to be closed and no guard on duty. Personally I actually prefer the smaller-scale RP in small towns and minor holdings and can’t stand big city RP, but I know I’m in the minority here so I won’t advocate for it. Instead, I think nations should at least look into have certain sections of their city being unwalled and accessible.

This is a very good point. If the nation that the small town/village is under gets warclaimed, there is time for people to prepare a temporary palisade around the city, or something similar. And I do agree with you, bandits and raids have really been slowly grinding to a halt over the years. While I would also like to see smaller scale rp in towns as opposed to cities, I feel like the compromise that is going to have to be made in the end is having ‘suburbs’ on the outskirts of cities. Though, I would like to see some people try to form more small villages and towns.

18 minutes ago, BrandNewKitten said:

The way our staff has set up the activity & charter system means splitting up your core playerbase amongst small towns isn’t as viable. If your nation cannot keep a certain % of the playerbase inside it’s area then it faces repercussions. 

It would be nice if the activity system were to change, as it’s very restricting to players at the moment. I feel as if it should count all activity on a tile as opposed to just activity within a certain block radius of others on that tile, if that’s the system that I presume is in place.

walls imo are fine for large cities since its realistic but im all for small villages not having any walls or having short walls since having walls in of itself is realistic to a settlement’s benefit. though i have to say in the most blunt way possible due to the nature of some players on lotc, you know who they are, walls will always leave a charter defenseless to constant raids

I think you make many valid points and I agree with almost all of them. Unfortunately, the server has been debating this subject for nearly a decade now, and time after time we are shown that centralization is the most efficient means to preserve and engender activity in nations. I love the idea of a village over a town over a city. I find that Kaedrin, albeit smaller than most other nations, has done well to propagate their suburbs (as you called them) as a place for role-play directly outside of a safe, more defensible location.

Though immersion is difficult to maintain when every village is conveniently sat beside a bustling metropolis, distance is the penultimate killer of all hopeful settlements. Unless they have the status of a capital, they are unlikely to succeed.

8 hours ago, Nectorist said:

Based.

Unwalled cities are hella inviting too.

Raids and banditry are virtually nonexistent anyway, and warclaims arent really a thing anymore (not to mention that you’re given weeks to completely redesign your city if you do get warclaimed). Problem w/ walled cities is that they gotta have people on to commit to gate duty. There were so many times I’d run up to a city just for the gate to be closed and no guard on duty. Personally I actually prefer the smaller-scale RP in small towns and minor holdings and can’t stand big city RP, but I know I’m in the minority here so I won’t advocate for it. Instead, I think nations should at least look into have certain sections of their city being unwalled and accessible.

Raid rules release soon chief. It'll all start again shortly. 

A little bit out of context, but i wish more RP came into war, and not just peeveepee. It’d be really cool if you could like breach walls via utilizing trebuchets and other historical siege weapons

1 hour ago, Tyrone1 said:

A little bit out of context, but i wish more RP came into war, and not just peeveepee. It’d be really cool if you could like breach walls via utilizing trebuchets and other historical siege weapons

Yeah, I’m going to go off topic now too-- I completely agree. I wish there were some more changes in ordinary roleplay while wars were going on rather than being like ‘oh there’s a war happening’ and going right back to what you were doing before. But, I suppose war is one thing that people don’t have to worry about when the live in those colossal walled megacities-- perhaps more civilian-war roleplay would occur if there were things such as smaller villages and towns that were at risk.

Laughs in Rosenyr.

No but- totally understandable. Thing is (I’m sure this was stated already, I’m only popping int with a quick comment), not many people want to rp in small settlements, such as Rosenyr. (Rosenyr is actually rather large, but our water features take up most of the space). However, being small is why we try and keep a very tight knit community, to appease & play with. We stay out of general politics in order to become  a safe haven for comers and goers who just want some peaceful rp every now & then. Funny thing is, we actually used to have walls! I took them down however, as they obscured the beauty around us, as well as Rosenyr not really needing them... There’s really no point in raiding Rosenyr, as it doesn’t really provide much to raiders. They’d have more chance raiding larger cities with more people, as more people will react to them, thus more loot. Also, our hours so extremely weird.

Jumping back to the original point though, a lot people like activity. Big cities have activity, small settlements do not. More activity means more possibility for threat & conflict, thus the needed walls. Less activity means less possibility for threat & conflict, thus no needed walls.

Either way, both have their ups & downs, but that’s just kind of how I’ve seen it fall into place over the years.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, tasty_cheesecake said:

belvitz was a part of oren while it did catch raids said raids could be readily repelled and there wasnt like, much ooc hatred/derision directed at the players of belvitz

I miss Belvitz...

On 8/26/2020 at 1:05 PM, camocat9 said:

I am not advocating for the complete abandonment of the walled city system that we’ve seen for so long-- cities still serve as useful roleplay hubs, and it only makes sense that they are well defended. I am only looking for more locations that are not within the walls of cities for players to roleplay in. This is more a piece asking for nations to consider more locations to roleplay in rather than their singular capital city next map-- places for people who enjoy the smaller town aspect of roleplay to fit themselves into the server.

I totally agree that smaller-town RP should be more prominent, though that’s not necessarily just a problem with walls, rather the activity-hungry nature of current nations and tiles as a result of the system. Walls or not, cute little places like that struggle to exist because of activity requirements and the absurd nature of this map’s roads.

1 hour ago, Sorcerio said:

I miss Belvitz...

I totally agree that smaller-town RP should be more prominent, though that’s not necessarily just a problem with walls, rather the activity-hungry nature of current nations and tiles as a result of the system. Walls or not, cute little places like that struggle to exist because of activity requirements and the absurd nature of this map’s roads.

True, it is less about the walls than anything else, but the reason I mentioned walls is because having a wall is more about the personal feeling of going from a small village, to yet another defensive city, like the twenty others on the server. But, I agree, the activity plugin is pretty awful this map and forces nations to centralize their roleplay if they even want a chance of keeping their nation status.

1 hour ago, BlueTigerPro said:

Laughs in Rosenyr.

No but- totally understandable. Thing is (I’m sure this was stated already, I’m only popping int with a quick comment), not many people want to rp in small settlements, such as Rosenyr. (Rosenyr is actually rather large, but our water features take up most of the space). However, being small is why we try and keep a very tight knit community, to appease & play with. We stay out of general politics in order to become  a safe haven for comers and goers who just want some peaceful rp every now & then. Funny thing is, we actually used to have walls! I took them down however, as they obscured the beauty around us, as well as Rosenyr not really needing them... There’s really no point in raiding Rosenyr, as it doesn’t really provide much to raiders. They’d have more chance raiding larger cities with more people, as more people will react to them, thus more loot. Also, our hours so extremely weird.

Jumping back to the original point though, a lot people like activity. Big cities have activity, small settlements do not. More activity means more possibility for threat & conflict, thus the needed walls. Less activity means less possibility for threat & conflict, thus no needed walls.

Either way, both have their ups & downs, but that’s just kind of how I’ve seen it fall into place over the years.

In the few times I’ve visitied Rosenyr, I’ve absolutely loved it there! I kept on telling myself if I ever had another free character slot and needed somewhere to live, Rosenyr would be the place I would go. But, that’s the point I’m trying to get across. People’s main argument against small, unwalled towns and villages is that they will get constantly raided-- but why raid one of these small places? There’s nothing that anyone can gain out of it-- I’m sure that even people with ooc vendettas against places would get bored of raiding ones that are so small after a while.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, SquakHawk said:

personally i think its just the aesthetic of the race or culture. Think it’s absurd wood elven nations insist(ed) on having massive walls such as in irrinor or gladewynn, until they landscarred that whole area with a massive ******* mountain to remove the need for them (yet still had them), it just doesn’t make any sense thematically to me.

100% agreed. I hate that our tribal, animist cultured-elves need to live in big fuckoff walled fortresses. but as long as PVP centric culture exists on LOTC and people still attach OOC prestige to how many toons you can click to death, the walls will remain as an unfortunate necessity

You will get clicked on without walls.

Edited by Mister_Gavin

Most people dicussing on this thread appear to be somewhat “seasoned” community members or have been around a certain extended while.
I reckon it might be a good insight for some if a completely new player gave a statement.

That would be me, Hi, I have been here about three days. 

The dilemma discussed here is a typical problem on a lot of different roleplay enviroments that allow custom maps and custom building. Centralization of roleplay is a good staff or leadership utilized tool to concentrate activity on a certain area. As we have established.

To be honest, I am much like some people here on this thread. I prefer a small to medium sized village a bit away from the cities though somewhat close to the main roads, strategically placed on hotspots where players tend to come through.

If I could choose freely, I would love a small community of 5-10 people which all are reasonably active within the village, and other travelling or visiting players passing through thanks to main road connection. Events would be player or local leadership coordinated.

I agree that an influx of lingering travellers or visitors are essential to make small villages more active and more enticing. I believe thats because in my experience, rarely in a community of 7 people can all seven come online at the same time, meaning external influx is imperative hand in hand with an active leadership.

That’s all a good fantasy of mine, and those types of villages I just described /may/ exist or are attemtped to be raised right now, but my god when I first arrived here I was hit with a wall of different things but no dynamic list of sorts to overview all places my character could settle in so I can choose according to my preferences. I believe the place and its local community are one of the first deciding factors when it comes to dynamics, lore and types of roleplay.

There is barely any way without battling the convoluted chaos that is the forum to accumulate data on things like..

..Classification (Settlement < Hamlet < Village < Town < City)
..Average Activity
..Player led Events Yes/No

..Economic Focus
..Typical Type of Roleplay

..Number of total residents/members

..Number of active residents in the last X days

And these are all variables that vary depending on a players taste!

Fair enough, some people may say “Yes but there is the “settlement” list in the Wiki.” but that hardly gives an impression sufficient enough to asess the dynamics and other factors that hint at activity or type. 

I for one just ended up somewhat confused going to Helena.

I mean I might be totally wrong, it just was my impression that choosing a place to dedicate my activity to had very limited choices through poor display it seems

Edited by Sydre

15 hours ago, HurferDurfer1 said:

i promise small farm villages will not be as popular as u want them to be, they never have its not like thats some new concept 

As was stated in my post, even something such as what Kaedrin has right now with Owynsburg would be a great system. If there were places outside the walls of major cities that had some of this small town aspect to them all while still having access to the city at large, I believe this could solve a good number of problems. And even if these small farming villages and communities aren’t as popular as large city roleplay, I never expect them to dominate the server-- all I’m asking is for there just to be at least a couple places in each map where this type of roleplay is possible for the players who do actually enjoy it.

Fuckin walls b ugly lmao I hate nation tiles and how they copy and paste duud like that shitty snow elf place for the last three laps like 

there can be obstacles to nations if u don’t build walls like imo if u got the wood elf city and need defence just have like a river around the place in jumpable so it preserves the aesthetic of the place without sacrificing defence

Like why don’t people build on top of roads smh I want some juicy 7 11 role play get a hotdog on the way to Oren