The Lack of Unwalled Towns and Cities in LOTC.

camocat9

On 8/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, camocat9 said:

As I said in the post, I’m not saying to get rid of walled cities-- nothing has to change with those. I’m just saying that nations should provide the option to players to live in smaller unwalled towns or villages. They should not be forced into city centers if that is not what their character dictates.

Johnstown doesn’t have walls, its a pretty cool place. All unwalled cities need to thrive is either 1) A roleplay draw/organization which hosts events and rp that draws people on regularly 2) A centralized location on the main roads where it can easily be found

Belvitz roads, take me home...~

14 hours ago, Lojo613 said:

Johnstown doesn’t have walls, its a pretty cool place. All unwalled cities need to thrive is either 1) A roleplay draw/organization which hosts events and rp that draws people on regularly 2) A centralized location on the main roads where it can easily be found

And for this reason, Johnstown is one of my favorite places on the server. I usually hang out around there if I have nothing else going on despite not living there. The way I see it, Johnstown and Rosenyr are two of the only places on the server where you can get some relatively unique roleplay without all the big city politics, militaries, etc, because that’s something that every large city offers.

23 minutes ago, camocat9 said:

And for this reason, Johnstown is one of my favorite places on the server. I usually hang out around there if I have nothing else going on despite not living there. The way I see it, Johnstown and Rosenyr are two of the only places on the server where you can get some relatively unique roleplay without all the big city politics, militaries, etc, because that’s something that every large city offers.

Well, technically Brandybrook provides that as well, just with a focus on a particular race. Also I think that some of the suburbs (or villages, whatever you want to call them) around Morsgrad could count. They look rather well designed, and have the ability to be decently active since you have to walk past them to get to Morsgrad.

I think it’d do nations well to emulate that somehow. By putting villages along the road to the main city, you can make sure that the villages are able to do better than they otherwise would. Living in a village/small town is more desirable when it's close to other places you want to be, so by putting it right in plain sight instead of tucked away in a corner more people would want to live there.

Doesn’t even have to be SUPER close or anything. Not everyone wants to live in a village that’s right bloody next to a giant city, since if that’s the case you might as well live directly inside the city and save yourself the hassle of walking there. Still a good idea to be in the same general area, though.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

1 minute ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Well, technically Brandybrook provides that as well, just with a focus on a particular race. Also I think that some of the suburbs (or villages, whatever you want to call them) around Morsgrad could count. They look rather well designed, and have the ability to be decently active since you have to walk past them to get to Morsgrad.

Ah! I forgot about Brandybrook. But, the point you make about the locations around Morsgrad does not work out, since even though they have the ability to be active, the people who lead those places make absolutely zero effort to have events around there, thus leaving them to die. The reason people see most small towns and villages as failures is typically because the leadership does not provide anything to do in those locations. Places like Johnstown, Rosenyr (and I presume Brandybrook considering it’s always active) all have leaders who care about providing roleplay.

1 minute ago, camocat9 said:

Ah! I forgot about Brandybrook. But, the point you make about the locations around Morsgrad does not work out, since even though they have the ability to be active, the people who lead those places make absolutely zero effort to have events around there, thus leaving them to die. The reason people see most small towns and villages as failures is typically because the leadership does not provide anything to do in those locations. Places like Johnstown, Rosenyr (and I presume Brandybrook considering it’s always active) all have leaders who care about providing roleplay.

Ah, my apologies. I just assumed upon visiting there that a bit of roleplay was had in those villages. My character heard some other character discuss relatives in Lensbeck, a village nearby, so thus my assumption that it was relevant enough for people to bother talking about it. At the very least, they give the area around Morsgrad a pleasant feeling. Sometimes it’s enough just to look at ‘em.

2 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Ah, my apologies. I just assumed upon visiting there that a bit of roleplay was had in those villages. My character heard some other character discuss relatives in Lensbeck, a village nearby, so thus my assumption that it was relevant enough for people to bother talking about it. At the very least, they give the area around Morsgrad a pleasant feeling. Sometimes it’s enough just to look at ‘em.

Perhaps my assumption could be incorrect considering I spend little town around Morsgrad, but I hung around those small villages for a few days while looking for somewhere for my character to live and didn’t witness any roleplay or events.

There’s no such thing as Roleplay on LoTC, nations are just glorified faction bases and are never given land near the center of the map for that reason. 

I just wish walled places looked like shitholes because of overcrowding and not just be revamped everytime the playerbase grows.