Sign in to follow this  
Wholesome_Thomas

The Ministry of Uncivil Affairs

Posted (edited)

The so-called “Ministry of Civil Affairs” has claimed as their own the Helena Orphanage around Pontian Place, and has declared it under renovation. This "renovation" would seem to involve the extraction of the orphans from the last place in the world they have left to call home.

The people of Helena deserve answers.

- What is the planned function of the orphanage after renovations?

- Does the Ministry of Civil Affairs plan to return the building to a house for orphans?

- If not, does the Ministry of Civil Affairs consider the building's new function to be more important than looking after Helena's most vulnerable and least fortunate children?

This building is in direct sight of the church and in direct sight of all those citizens of the empire whose heart contains still any remnant of compassion.

NNKOuO7.png

Edited by Wholesome_Thomas

The High Pontiff issues a public statement through the Curia “The Church cannot speak on behalf of the Ministry of Civil Affairs, but we do comment that the orphanage was lawfully returned to the City of Helena. The Ministry found that the orphanage had had no residents for several years, and attempts to fill its ranks were met with a surprising (but very welcome) lack of orphaned children in the City. Nevertheless, the Church continues to operate its orphanage in the Holy Palatinate of Aquila, where orphans are relocated to when found. If the Ministry does not see fit to restore the Helena orphanage, the orphans of the City will be moved to the Palatinate where they can be better cared for. We will continue to provide for the little children of the world, offering them our guidance and God’s own grace.”

A public statement is made available through the Office of the Secretary of State for Civil Affairs. In addition, a letter is dispatched via courier to the petitioner with an exact copy. A job application is also enclosed. [Click here to apply.]

Dear sir,

The Ministry of Civil Affairs petitioned the Secretary of the Interior for an office building. This is standard procedure as the Interior regulates property ownership in the Crownlands. Numerous other Cabinet Ministries and government agencies are afforded physical office buildings such as the Chancellery, the Interior Ministry, the Justice Ministry, the Imperial Diet, the Imperial State Army, etc. 

The Secretary of the Interior Edward Galbraith spoke with the church and noted that the church no longer used or managed the orphanage; it had been unused, empty, and abandoned for a period of many years. As a result, the church returned the building to the property of the government. This had the blessing of the Pontiff himself, to my understanding. From there, we were offered the space.

Orphanage records show that in the course of three or four decades, a maximum of three orphans ever applied for or were lodged within the orphanage. It was literally never used. We have verified this personally with the former caretaker of the orphanage, Mr. George Galbraith. These orphans have been grown for a decade or so. Given the prime location of this real estate, it was afforded a more fitting use.

All that being said, I myself am an orphan. I recognize the importance of care for our most vulnerable population – care that I was never afforded. After years fending for myself, I was reunited with my distant cousins and found normalcy, but I spent my early years on the streets of Helena. 

Regardless, this program was unsuccessful. I offer an alternative: the University of Helena. Any orphan who is in need of shelter may contact me posthaste. I will provide for them free of charge a dormitory in the Imperial University. There, they may not only be housed and fed, but indeed, they might earn an education that will help them escape their earthly station.

Thank you for your concern. Please consider redirecting your vitriol in future. There are far more serious issues to address. Nevertheless, I laud your concern and your civic duty. If you have interest, please consider applying to my Ministry. We could use someone like you to help resolve issues like these. If an orphanage matters so dearly to you, I would be happy to hire you to found a new orphanage – an endeavor I could personally bankroll. Perhaps under your stewardship, such a program could be more well utilized and have a greater impact.

Your obedient servant,

ministry_of_civil_affairs.png

signaturee.png

28 minutes ago, Lyonharted™ said:

A reply would be posted in response as it also works its way through the Helena Mail System, attached with the job application, untouched.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your prompt and generous reply. I am pleased to learn of the disuse of the orphanage as reported by the Church, and while I understood the pragmatism of their position I was not completely comfortable with the idea of orphans being shipped away to far-flung Aquilla. However, your personal guarantee has brought assured me not only of the well being of our orphans, of which I also count myself, but with the moral fiber of yourself and your civil service. 

I hope that any vitriol I displayed can be excused as an outpouring of concern for an issue close to my heart rather than a malicious attack. I apologize for my impulsivity.

You should find my job application already in your files, from when I filled it out some months ago at your desk and behest.

God bless you and your ministry,

NNKOuO7.png

19 minutes ago, Wholesome_Thomas said:

Dear sir,

It dawned on me just now that you were the nice young man that I had met with in my office. What a wonderful coincedence.

But as for your apology, friend --- all is well. I understand. The passions of youth can cloud even the greatest judgement. Sifting through the complexity and confusion of our interconnected world is a difficult task. Even harder is deriving valuations of justice or injustice from the chaos we see in our day to day lives. Please stay vigilant and continue to hold us, your leaders, to account.

I have pulled your application and reviewed it personally. Welcome aboard. At your earliest convenience you may report to my office at Varoche Hall. We will begin the onboarding and you may start work as an Imperial Archivist. As an extra project, I will have you assist me in converting the old orphanage into dormitories for the Imperial University. These dormitories will be available for orphans and students alike, offering central and convenient housing to youth in need. I will personally finance a scholarship to this end.

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely yours,

Secretary Halcourt

“I was looking to adopt some orphans that were as dark as me! So that they did not feel alone in the world.” Wilheim Rutledge would look at the color of his skin and to his newly adopted son Carvin. “I wonder where I will adopt now..” He frowned.