[✗] [World Lore] The Remnant Tomes of Power

Johann

Spoiler

Preface:

Knowledge of these tomes is not known to most, except those that may have witnessed their previous iterations in legitimate roleplay. It is advised you do not metagame the current states of these tomes. Asides from this, these tomes are to purely remain under ET supervision for use in future events, and will not simply be freely given to players as they had been before - the tomes’ purpose is to provide a narrative for the player base and not to be hoarded by closed groups for personal use. The Planar Dictate and the Grimoire of Phantoms are also tomes of power that remain, but are not included in this lore piece as they have already been covered in others.

The Remnant Tomes Of Power

Molded from the essence of their patron deities, the tomes of power are artifacts of unfathomable power, inheritors of the boundless potentiality wielded by their creators. Though they were originally set upon the mortal plane, passed has the time where Man wielded these tomes as purveyors of their will, some lost to the obscurities of the ages or others rescinded in from the clutches of their hubris. Once there were nine of these fabled tomes, but now do only a fraction of them remain, some emboldened by prevailing evils, others diluted by decadence. 

The Necronomicon 

hen8QHjlbrXmc827TlHMzNKUh8mdeQ2x8YnX-PGG6hXtVbud3MkrvJ9TrrzzSia48hTRFc1EBjwwPo1lFro-0dpSr3_ChqckvTt0DmzwRMVJFVHwUhgyeweo6EW8E86n7f_3ecRl

The altered iteration of the Necronomicon, infused

with Ibleesian and Infernal evils.

Once a prominent artifact in the age of Iblees’ scourges, the Necronomicon fell into obscurity with Iblees’ waning machinations as the Daemon of Ruin, it’s behaviour fickle and elusive. A reflection of the Daemon of Ruin’s nature, the tome never strayed far from the ire of the descendants, for it was pursuant of their plight while dormant in function. Yet this docile, passive existence was only cut short with the Inferi incursion of Arcas which once more reawakened the ancient evil that had receded into the shadowy recesses of existence; the Inferi were an evil that resonated with a portion of Iblees’ power by proxy of Ixris’ deviations. In light of this change did the tome re-manifest upon the mortal plane in a location unknown, imbued in the essence of the Inferi, maleus and malflame, while retaining its secrets of old - a vessel and a reminder of evils old and new. The Necronomicon is now a twisted alteration of its original forefather, hosting Ibleesian blight that intertwined, mingled, and assimilated with its cousin evil - Infernal malflame. 

Happening upon this terrible tome is a portent of the accursed, but to dare peer into its contents simply serves as an augury of plight. With mortal eyes and within mortal comprehension, the ordinary Man can only attempt to witness its contents for so long, for exposure to the tome’s damning contents will sentence one to some traumatic, grisly fate. In this damnable exchange where sacrifice is made for knowledge shunned by even the Gods, greed only entails death when one attempts to hoard the ken of Ruin’s infernal manifestation. A successful perusal of this tome does not equate to a successful suppression of the writhing evils that lay within, however. The very tampering of this tome only entails the release of Ruin’s will before its departure thereafter, the tome consequently expulsing some manner of calamity upon the land, be it Ibleesian blight or some other forgotten evil of times immemorial.

[Backfacing section removed]

The Book Of Souls

ycUu20DWtm-GgVkL6jNe_gd58RVgl1wjy2pmiLnq-nEuJ9KoGsUizzv0lhIwAjx6qeFJkH4lYwtZKqCixBnfCmM2VeGSA-2HCJp-i7I3x1-ZecIQqdr_9xgTYakL3M0r_VsSmg3x

The eye of the Archaengul remains ever set upon the mortal plane from the peaks of the Golden City, retaining a watchful gaze upon the origin of the souls she shepherds. Her vigilance begets understanding, and the contemporary turmoils that wracked the mortal plane with the fall of Arcas reinvigorated its dormancy, a call of duty, answered. The whereabouts of this projection of Aeriel’s power are unknown, though its nature, unlike the Necronomicon, has remained a constant despite the turbulent currents of mortal history.

A reflection of Aeriel’s influence over the wayward souls of Ebrietaes, the tome itself is a catalog of all the names of the dead, those that have passed from the mortal plane and into the soul stream. It is this that result’s in the tome’s constant dynamism, ever churning and stirring as names are added upon its virtually infinite pages. Riddled with ancient lores of the Ebrietaes and its inner workings, the tome allows the user to call upon a deceased soul from this realm back to the mortal plane for the purpose of communion. Upon its calling, the soul will manifest out of the pages of the tome in the form of a revenant at peace, remaining upon the mortal realm for a Saint’s day without any knowledge of the events that lead up to their death. This feat may be performed once a year, though any further abilities specific to events in the future will be up to ET discretion with managerial approval.

Purpose

Before devising this write for the current ST workshop project, it came to my recognition that the tomes of power were an inherently frowned upon idea, with their previous infamy for being objects that were hoarded by clique for personal power gains, overall being lore objects that only catered to very specific player groups, as opposed to the canon of the server as a whole. By making these tomes purely ET objects, it is within my hopes that they will be properly used in future events for what should have been their purpose in the original lore while also mitigating whatever attempts to powercreeping people may take if they were purely public. The very dynamic the tomes bring – divine artifacts simply scattered across the land for mortal use – serves as an optimal narrative device for the server’s story, and I figured it would be optimal if this unused potential was recycled through a better iteration of the now shelved lore.

Citations

Original Lore

Credits

Johann (Author)

Zarsies (Consultation)

Wretched (Consultation and Previous Lore)

For everyone reading; ‘Remnant’ in the title here was Johann’s idea first. I looked over this lore a little while back and must have glossed over it. Wasn’t intentional, but I’m the thief, not him. If it’s needed, I will change the title of my lore to something else.

As for the lore, I think I created a flawed lore with the Tomes of Power. The intention was good but the execution was not. I think if they were to ever get used in RP again, this is the overhaul they need.

I’d love to see you propose some more +1

I preferred when these were powerful enough to lift cities into the sky and summon giant invincible shields, honestly. 

3 minutes ago, Aesopian said:

I preferred when these were powerful enough to lift cities into the sky and summon giant invincible shields, honestly. 

Man.

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

Man.

Bro, I like epic-scale RP, and especially when it is in the hands of the players to do crazy, wacky stuff. 

but oh well

i still upvoted

8 minutes ago, Gladuos said:

You’re a lil baby boi, but I will give you the rep clout this time.

Thanks, dad. 

Why’s the Necronomicon full of infernal knowledge, and not necromantic arts?

2 hours ago, Johann said:

… imbued in the essence of the Inferi, maleus and malflame, while retaining its secrets of old - a vessel and a reminder of evils old and new.

While it’s not explicitly stated in the lore, the Necronomicon still contains necromantic arts, along with newly manifested infernal knowledge which I emphasized for the sake of explaining the additional changes it’s undergone, @Luciloo 

Glad my favorite Archaengul is still getting the respect and lore she deserves 🥰

17 hours ago, Johann said:

Preface:

Knowledge of these tomes is not known to most, except those that may have witnessed their previous iterations in legitimate roleplay. It is advised you do not metagame the current states of these tomes. Asides from this, these tomes are to purely remain under ET supervision for use in future events, and will not simply be freely given to players as they had been before - the tomes’ purpose is to provide a narrative for the player base and not to be hoarded by closed groups for personal use. The Planar Dictate and the Grimoire of Phantoms are also tomes of power that remain, but are not included in this lore piece as they have already been covered in others.

Thank you for this. Previous tomes had everyone and their mothers trying to get their hands around them.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, Aesopian said:

Honestly.. The wackier things are the better in my opinion.. but players will be players, and staff will be staff.. So all that we can do is role-play human.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.