[✗] [Magic Lore] - [Shadedom: The Damned]

Archipelego

NOOOOOOOO MY QUIRKY CHARACTER NOOOOOOO AGHHHH

YOU CAN’T FORCE ME TO ROLEPLAY A CURSERINO, THATS NOT MAGIC AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

joel said it pretty well I won’t lie.

I will however state that this Shade iteration might need like an extra spell or small ability. 

Maybe something like a small, melancholic hymn that corrupts **** or has some kind of special effect.

I am all for magics serving the purpose of adding to roleplay through rituals or through special events (which could be set up with lt and et supervision for the sake of creating roleplay) rather than simply being some kind of tool or weapon. 

3 hours ago, Luv said:

I like some of the drawbacks and downsides you proposed, but you mean to tell me this near absolutely useless magic outside of self roleplay development won’t also be circled jerked into obscurity? 

I understand that a lot of the people on this server think that their million layer onion characters “selfless” behavior to care about the character development of others at the sacrifice of themselves is fine and dandy – but, keep that for the Event Team. I don’t see why this needs to be a whole magic, especially an absolute breakdown of the most traditional Shade concepts. 

Shade magic NEEDS TO:

• lose Shade Gems
  • lose its endgame(s)
  • get stripped of its healing capabilities both major and minor
  • for people that believe rping by yourself is providing some elevated service to LoTC; GREATLY increase the idea that the shade is a separate identity and personality from its host, another character.
  • I personally always liked shade x other magic collaborations, make it 3 slots and base a lot of the magical roleplay around the new aesthetic and corrupted nature of those other 2 magics?
  • tier 5 shades or shade fathers/mothers are the end result of an untreated problem, the shade has now snuffed out anything that resembled the person from before – this means loss of things like memories, but not their racial curse or physical illnesses.

Just some ideas from someone who played a shade for quite a while and has actually been considering helping the current community with it if they were interested. I’m not totally “active”’ anymore due to my IRL circumstances, but I’m definitely invested in the Shade Lore and story as I am the Witches, so I hope this helps!

Addition: 

1000% believe Shade should be RP’d as a the CURSE it was intended to be. Similarly to the Frost Witches, someone should not WANT to be a Shade – an unwilling subject to at the mercy of their demon and Coven. Hell, make a list of 20 or so active roleplay traits to choose from that are all pretty awful or problematic to choose from and with each tier they develop a new defective trait. Don’t use basic things like “he’s insane xd” or “she basically becomes Harley Quinn”, but things like addiction to alcohol or lore approved drugs that has become a physical dependency, insomnia which has both physical and mental drawbacks under that umbrella, or  mania for those that like to rp the more “i’m crazy teehee” aesthetic that is in fact realistic when done properly.

I, as a former Shade player, have never agreed with the 5 slot behemoth that Shade has become with the little to no visible drawbacks for the rest of the community that made something of that size fair. Shade, in my eyes, is the magic under the Dark Arts umbrella that is meant to be the “combat magic” where using things like freeform tendrils(I suppose you could keep Caliginous Flames and minor environmental adjustments such as shadows, the lighting, etc to make things spooky) that were quite the powerful weapon in any close quarters scenario when defending themselves from those who’ve discovered their true nature. However, a GOOD Shade would have known that is the only time their magic should be used for combat, to ensure that their secret remains as such. The Shade’s entire goal is to eventually take the host body for itself, and that means they cannot get killed – so being stupid or careless at any point could mean endgame. Perhaps keep the PK clause? If they chose to not PK then the Shade simply is PK’d and they lose the MA?

who cares about the slots. If ur going to have ur character get affected by this curse just stick with that aesthetic, and that aesthetic only instead of stacking other **** ontop

39 minutes ago, Tyrone1 said:

who cares about the slots. If ur going to have ur character get affected by this curse just stick with that aesthetic, and that aesthetic only instead of stacking other **** ontop

It’s the fact that there’s not much to gain from this 5 slot magic. The Devil is more tempting than this. There is hardly any incentive to accept such a largely cursed magic with so little to gain. There just needs to be more fat to it, the downsides are more than fine and I think people are kind of missing the point of what others are saying here... The people who are asking for more abilities like the new downsides & consequences, there just isn’t enough abilities. The point about the slots is that this would be the equivalent of a lower slot magic, not a 5 slot. I don’t mind it being 5 slot, but people just need more to this in order to want it, unless, again, you had no other plans with the magic route accept making shadow puppets and giving people bad vibes the rest of your now, eternally darkened, tainted, and cursed life. 

Again, yes absolutely, it is a curse, and curses aren’t suppose to be pretty. Also, yes, you totally shouldn’t be allowed any other magics for such a severe curse. They ARE afflictions. However, to be frank, I don’t see a point in willingly seeking this out. 

This is my understanding on the situation. Again, if anyone would like to explain or correct me, feel free too! Or if anyone would like me to elaborate on a detail, feel free to ask! 

I liked the parasite personalities when they weren’t played as just a second individual w/ no real difference from an elf or human, removing that is kind of sad when you could alternatively make a proper ruling on how they should behave.

My only question though is if there is a progression system within this(i.e. Waiting 4 months for a TA, or just being taught the ritual any time after becoming a shade)? Tiers don’t seem to be relevant for something like this so I wont even ask about those.

Beyond that.. Neato. I don’t have much of a presence on the server but seeing anything like this is nice

In order for shade magic to be functional as a curse, you would have to make it fun to play, make it fun for other people to interact with, and make it make sense for your character to have. 

There are numerous downsides to the current iteration of shade magic and my current rewrite. They’re just not brought on by the magic but instead through roleplay. You get ousted as a shade, and you’re suddenly banned from roleplaying with most of lotc.

You’ll be considered kill on sight, you can have your magic taken away literally at any given time (something you will not find in literally any other magic), and a good shade player is going to roleplay the mental illness and physical weakness pretty well.

People find out someone plays a shade and expect them to act like a lunatic all the time when that doesn’t make sense at all. The moment a shade player does literally anything related to shade lore, such as mental illness rp, or having a seizure in public, they get metagamed and executed. I have seen characters immediately assume any sign of mental abnormality means that someone who they know oocly is a is a shade irply. 

There isn’t any cool investigation roleplay done for the mentally ill. The mentally ill don’t get locked up in an asylum, as ******* killer that would be. As a shade, I have kidnapped people, I have monologued with people in order to coerce them onto my side, I have barely killed absolutely anyone because I understand that constant murder makes for bad villainy unless it’s preplanned. But everytime I get caught in my acts, there is almost never even a hint of having the favor repaid. It is always instant death, no imprisonment rp, no torture rp, there isn’t even a dramatic spiel to try and get me to realize my wrong doings. It’s always death. No exceptions. 

That **** is among the biggest reasons why Shade magic is so abhorrently awful. No one wants shade to be a power grab. No one wants shade to be full of murder hobos. Everyone wants “good villainy” to come from shades; everyone has such high expectations for shades. But they don’t want to meet those expectations themselves.

No one wants shade to be a power grab, but everyone is extremely eager to fit their magic with a shade defeating macguffin so they can one shot shades. No one wants shade to be full of murder hobos, but you bet your ass it’s okay to kill any shade you see on sight for no reason at all. Everyone wants to see good “villainy” from shades, but not a single ******* person wants to go out of their way to act as a good hero for shades either. 

It’s exhausting as ****. No ******* wonder the shade community hates rping with people outside of it. The **** we looked forward to the most, being villains, is the worst goddamn experience you can have on lotc. Egomaniacal Paladin murder hobos who are obsessed with being heroes, sociopathic nation leaders who refuse to let anything bad happen to their people or nation, they are ******* exhausting to deal with. After constantly dealing with such brazen levels of toxicity, it makes you want to hide away so you can cool down, and then you’re afraid that it’s going to happen again, so you don’t do **** anymore because there’s no point in playing a villain. 

Shade magic sucks ass because once you realize how awful it is to be a villain on lotc, you realize that you have nothing to do besides roleplaying the mental downsides and continuing to grow your character. 

There’s a lot of fun with manipulating outcast characters into becoming shades in order to grow your coven, expand your ranks, and plot to ruin descendant life. But once you hit the realization that there’s no point in playing a villain on lotc, everything becomes boring. 

The “shade magic should be a curse waaah waaah” is ******* stupid too. It’s a curse as it is now. The vast majority of shades end up giving the magic up irply because they can’t handle the downsides. Shade fathers have to constantly manipulate their shadelings to stay in the coven with promises that everything gets better down the line. In order to get new shades, our characters have to manipulate and lie and make empty promises to future shadelings to get them to join us. And that is so ******* fun. It’s like making a deal with the devil. But no one ever wants to bring that up or acknowledge it. 

Shade magic is a curse right now, but it’s not the curse other people want. So people cry and ***** and moan. I guarantee that if this shade magic were to get accepted, not a single one of the shade haters who enjoy this write would still take it up. 

People want shade magic to be good, but it’s not JUST the magic itself that’s the problem. It’s the community as a whole. It absolutely does not matter how good shade more gets if the lotc community remains like it is now. If y’all want shade magic to get better, y’all are going to have to convince the whole ass lotc community to be better. Provide good hero rp that is more than just killing if you want good villain rp. If you want good villain rp, provide good victim rp. And just get rid of the shitty ass cry baby nation leader rules.

If it was genuinely enjoyable to play a villain on lotc, the quality of shade magic would rise sharply. But the entire Shade community is burnt the **** out because of horrible playerbases who just murderhobo and metagame instead of providing an equal level of content.

Shade magic is useless as ****. Just go play a mentally ill character and you’ll get the same cool development and rp, and people won’t be interested in one shotting you because they’ll know oocly you’re not a shade. The magic isn’t worth the stress that comes with it. 

1 hour ago, BlueTigerPro said:

It’s the fact that there’s not much to gain from this 5 slot magic. The Devil is more tempting than this. There is hardly any incentive to accept such a largely cursed magic with so little to gain. There just needs to be more fat to it, the downsides are more than fine and I think people are kind of missing the point of what others are saying here... The people who are asking for more abilities like the new downsides & consequences, there just isn’t enough abilities. The point about the slots is that this would be the equivalent of a lower slot magic, not a 5 slot. I don’t mind it being 5 slot, but people just need more to this in order to want it, unless, again, you had no other plans with the magic route accept making shadow puppets and giving people bad vibes the rest of your now, eternally darkened, tainted, and cursed life. 

Again, yes absolutely, it is a curse, and curses aren’t suppose to be pretty. Also, yes, you totally shouldn’t be allowed any other magics for such a severe curse. They ARE afflictions. However, to be frank, I don’t see a point in willingly seeking this out. 

This is my understanding on the situation. Again, if anyone would like to explain or correct me, feel free too! Or if anyone would like me to elaborate on a detail, feel free to ask! 

I should explain my reasoning behind making it a 5 slot. Its a contradiction of what an established LotC 5 slot magic ought to be, and I understand that. I did not intend, however, for this to be a traditional magic situation. The curse is more like a punishment and characrwr arc that someone agrees to. There is no reason to make it 'worth' five slots when the intention is punishing roleplay. I hope that makes sense. Additionally, I am looking to add more abilities as I think of quality ones. I dont want too many, but a few more wouldn't go amiss and I'm working on that at the moment. Thank you for your concerns and valid criticism.

7 minutes ago, Cr1TiKaLlyMoist said:

In order for shade magic to be functional as a curse, you would have to make it fun to play, make it fun for other people to interact with, and make it make sense for your character to have. 

There are numerous downsides to the current iteration of shade magic and my current rewrite. They’re just not brought on by the magic but instead through roleplay. You get ousted as a shade, and you’re suddenly banned from roleplaying with most of lotc.

You’ll be considered kill on sight, you can have your magic taken away literally at any given time (something you will not find in literally any other magic), and a good shade player is going to roleplay the mental illness and physical weakness pretty well.

People find out someone plays a shade and expect them to act like a lunatic all the time when that doesn’t make sense at all. The moment a shade player does literally anything related to shade lore, such as mental illness rp, or having a seizure in public, they get metagamed and executed. I have seen characters immediately assume any sign of mental abnormality means that someone who they know oocly is a is a shade irply. 

There isn’t any cool investigation roleplay done for the mentally ill. The mentally ill don’t get locked up in an asylum, as ******* killer that would be. As a shade, I have kidnapped people, I have monologued with people in order to coerce them onto my side, I have barely killed absolutely anyone because I understand that constant murder makes for bad villainy unless it’s preplanned. But everytime I get caught in my acts, there is almost never even a hint of having the favor repaid. It is always instant death, no imprisonment rp, no torture rp, there isn’t even a dramatic spiel to try and get me to realize my wrong doings. It’s always death. No exceptions. 

That **** is among the biggest reasons why Shade magic is so abhorrently awful. No one wants shade to be a power grab. No one wants shade to be full of murder hobos. Everyone wants “good villainy” to come from shades; everyone has such high expectations for shades. But they don’t want to meet those expectations themselves.

No one wants shade to be a power grab, but everyone is extremely eager to fit their magic with a shade defeating macguffin so they can one shot shades. No one wants shade to be full of murder hobos, but you bet your ass it’s okay to kill any shade you see on sight for no reason at all. Everyone wants to see good “villainy” from shades, but not a single ******* person wants to go out of their way to act as a good hero for shades either. 

It’s exhausting as ****. No ******* wonder the shade community hates rping with people outside of it. The **** we looked forward to the most, being villains, is the worst goddamn experience you can have on lotc. Egomaniacal Paladin murder hobos who are obsessed with being heroes, sociopathic nation leaders who refuse to let anything bad happen to their people or nation, they are ******* exhausting to deal with. After constantly dealing with such brazen levels of toxicity, it makes you want to hide away so you can cool down, and then you’re afraid that it’s going to happen again, so you don’t do **** anymore because there’s no point in playing a villain. 

Shade magic sucks ass because once you realize how awful it is to be a villain on lotc, you realize that you have nothing to do besides roleplaying the mental downsides and continuing to grow your character. 

There’s a lot of fun with manipulating outcast characters into becoming shades in order to grow your coven, expand your ranks, and plot to ruin descendant life. But once you hit the realization that there’s no point in playing a villain on lotc, everything becomes boring. 

The “shade magic should be a curse waaah waaah” is ******* stupid too. It’s a curse as it is now. The vast majority of shades end up giving the magic up irply because they can’t handle the downsides. Shade fathers have to constantly manipulate their shadelings to stay in the coven with promises that everything gets better down the line. In order to get new shades, our characters have to manipulate and lie and make empty promises to future shadelings to get them to join us. And that is so ******* fun. It’s like making a deal with the devil. But no one ever wants to bring that up or acknowledge it. 

Shade magic is a curse right now, but it’s not the curse other people want. So people cry and ***** and moan. I guarantee that if this shade magic were to get accepted, not a single one of the shade haters who enjoy this write would still take it up. 

People want shade magic to be good, but it’s not JUST the magic itself that’s the problem. It’s the community as a whole. It absolutely does not matter how good shade more gets if the lotc community remains like it is now. If y’all want shade magic to get better, y’all are going to have to convince the whole ass lotc community to be better. Provide good hero rp that is more than just killing if you want good villain rp. If you want good villain rp, provide good victim rp. And just get rid of the shitty ass cry baby nation leader rules.

If it was genuinely enjoyable to play a villain on lotc, the quality of shade magic would rise sharply. But the entire Shade community is burnt the **** out because of horrible playerbases who just murderhobo and metagame instead of providing an equal level of content.

Shade magic is useless as ****. Just go play a mentally ill character and you’ll get the same cool development and rp, and people won’t be interested in one shotting you because they’ll know oocly you’re not a shade. The magic isn’t worth the stress that comes with it. 

bruh I just wanted to write a cute curse please stop yelling at me

58 minutes ago, BonesOfTheEarth said:

I liked the parasite personalities when they weren’t played as just a second individual w/ no real difference from an elf or human, removing that is kind of sad when you could alternatively make a proper ruling on how they should behave.

My only question though is if there is a progression system within this(i.e. Waiting 4 months for a TA, or just being taught the ritual any time after becoming a shade)? Tiers don’t seem to be relevant for something like this so I wont even ask about those.

Beyond that.. Neato. I don’t have much of a presence on the server but seeing anything like this is nice

personally, almost all the parasite takeover rp I've seen has been rather subpar. Its not so much as a problem with the idea as much as it is my own jaded take, and I get where you're coming from.

Pretty much atm, any shade can curse others from the getgo using the Rite of Bindings, obviously after obviously being shown such. I should clarify that, thank you.

6 hours ago, Cr1TiKaLlyMoist said:

It is always instant death, no imprisonment rp, no torture rp, there isn’t even a dramatic spiel to try and get me to realize my wrong doings. It’s always death. No exceptions. 

Man.

Seriously though a problem like this needs a step back and distant view – A lot of people will also get instantly murdered if they do not instantly murder a shade. If someone attempts to make it a give and take, they’re considered just as bad. Basically to do what you’re asking would completely **** them over as well. With a problem like this I genuinely don’t know where one would start on figuring it out – I tried once and gave up pretty quickly. You’re looking at a problem that spans across all of the currently existing communities, and its hard to address it one at a time.

Though honestly I just like playing the absolute nutjob that is my current shade more, instant death to me or not

Now @Archipelego I’m going to quote one thing from Alpha that you probably should take note of tbh:

6 hours ago, Cr1TiKaLlyMoist said:

Having something exist purely, 100% without exception, as a permanent punishment with a risk of having yourself force PK’d at any moment, is a bit bland and unrealistic. I do like all of the current downsides, but I’d argue that it needs anything to actually have an appeal for anyone to play. I’d keep it regardless because the entire premise of my shade revolves around everything the magic entails. This magic, as it stands, is more along the lines of a curse applied through shade magic rather than shade magic itself. I’m not even arguing to give it combat uses, but probably more than 2 rituals – one being just teaching and the other pseudo-PKing your character – would be nice. You argue that this would apply better shade RP to the server and yet those two interactions with their rituals are already based entirely in shades themselves.

Are you, in any capacity, willing to add or change anything to what’s currently listed? Either make it at least 4 slot or give it a 3rd ritual use that isn’t purely aesthetic and relatively uses. I’m not going to pretend I have some grand scheme in my mind envisioned of what it could be, but I could definitely throw out some vague ideas if you can’t think of anything. At least something like this if you’re taking away our parasites, who to some of us, regardless of your experiences, made and drove decent enough RP.

also a question about the lore as-is: So the shadow **** is non-combative, but what about using it aesthetically during combat? I.E. Having your shadow look like a monster or sm **** while you’re swinging your sword.

16 hours ago, BlueTigerPro said:
17 hours ago, Tyrone1 said:

i’d like to assume the fine roleplayers of the world’s #1 minecraft rp server would take upon such curse, nonetheless their dislike for it oocly just for the sake of the RP (if it was good of course) and not some gehenna tier shade rp. Though i’m certain the lore is yet to be refined, for it isn’t yet – few more additions are surely going to be implemented in due time, at least that’s what archpelego said

I could’ve been a dumbass and just missed it but, can shamans still purge the Shade parasite by exposing the user to Isuz’ light via a spirit walk @Archipelego?

1 hour ago, Aoxomoxoa said:

I could’ve been a dumbass and just missed it but, can shamans still purge the Shade parasite by exposing the user to Isuz’ light via a spirit walk @Archipelego?

atm no, i have the curse as a theoretically permanent thing. something like that might be viable of course, but i would like for purging to be individual situations through a facilitated MArt, event, et cetera instead of some mass produced method like in the past, if that makes sense. so while at the moment, no, but something like that could be used to facilitate something feasible for a purging

On 9/18/2020 at 9:23 AM, Tyrone1 said:

i’d like to assume the fine roleplayers of the world’s #1 minecraft rp server would take upon such curse, nonetheless their dislike for it oocly just for the sake of the RP

That’s funny. A majority of people will just grow back any permanent wounds at CT but you expect them now to take on a debilitating curse no problem? Completely unrealistic. People will do anything in their power to keep their “pristine” hero character who always saves the day and would never willingly accept this.

11 hours ago, BobBox said:

That’s funny. A majority of people will just grow back any permanent wounds at CT but you expect them now to take on a debilitating curse no problem? Completely unrealistic. People will do anything in their power to keep their “pristine” hero character who always saves the day and would never willingly accept this.

This whole lore piece just really seperates roleplayers from anime protagonist players. Let them look after shiny powers and mineman recognition while others just go for storytelling.