[✗] [Magic Lore] - [Shadedom: The Damned]

Archipelego

15 hours ago, BobBox said:

That’s funny. A majority of people will just grow back any permanent wounds at CT but you expect them now to take on a debilitating curse no problem? Completely unrealistic. People will do anything in their power to keep their “pristine” hero character who always saves the day and would never willingly accept this.

And they would never have actually rped shade magic properly so they don’t matter. Magic should fulfil a specific niche and that niche shouldn’t be for everyone otherwise it devalues the existence of the magic.

9 hours ago, Jentos said:

This whole lore piece just really seperates roleplayers from anime protagonist players. Let them look after shiny powers and mineman recognition while others just go for storytelling. 

I'll admit I had my doubts through only a quick glance and what you had going on here. After reading some of the player input and rereading your piece of lore I'll have to actually comment some feedback here soon. So far? Looks pretty good my man.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:19 AM, Mavromino said:

And they would never have actually rped shade magic properly so they don’t matter. Magic should fulfil a specific niche and that niche shouldn’t be for everyone otherwise it devalues the existence of the magic.

this

Would totally like to add that my phrasing of “useless magic” probably came across super ******* rude and that wasn’t my intention! I was speaking in terms of practical use and spell list (regardless of however many combative or non-combative spells there are). Mean that for the price it wasn’t worth it, at least not in my opinion.

My other points, hopefully being taken constructively and just as my personal opinion, still stand!

On 9/17/2020 at 3:08 PM, Luv said:

Addition: 

1000% believe Shade should be RP’d as a the CURSE it was intended to be. Similarly to the Frost Witches, someone should not WANT to be a Shade – an unwilling subject to at the mercy of their demon and Coven. Hell, make a list of 20 or so active roleplay traits to choose from that are all pretty awful or problematic to choose from and with each tier they develop a new defective trait. Don’t use basic things like “he’s insane xd” or “she basically becomes Harley Quinn”, but things like addiction to alcohol or lore approved drugs that has become a physical dependency, insomnia which has both physical and mental drawbacks under that umbrella, or  mania for those that like to rp the more “i’m crazy teehee” aesthetic that is in fact realistic when done properly.

I, as a former Shade player, have never agreed with the 5 slot behemoth that Shade has become with the little to no visible drawbacks for the rest of the community that made something of that size fair. Shade, in my eyes, is the magic under the Dark Arts umbrella that is meant to be the “combat magic” where using things like freeform tendrils(I suppose you could keep Caliginous Flames and minor environmental adjustments such as shadows, the lighting, etc to make things spooky) that were quite the powerful weapon in any close quarters scenario when defending themselves from those who’ve discovered their true nature. However, a GOOD Shade would have known that is the only time their magic should be used for combat, to ensure that their secret remains as such. The Shade’s entire goal is to eventually take the host body for itself, and that means they cannot get killed – so being stupid or careless at any point could mean endgame. Perhaps keep the PK clause? If they chose to not PK then the Shade simply is PK’d and they lose the MA?

On 9/17/2020 at 11:28 AM, Luv said:

I like some of the drawbacks and downsides you proposed, but you mean to tell me this near absolutely useless magic outside of self roleplay development won’t also be circled jerked into obscurity? 

I understand that a lot of the people on this server think that their million layer onion characters “selfless” behavior to care about the character development of others at the sacrifice of themselves is fine and dandy – but, keep that for the Event Team. I don’t see why this needs to be a whole magic, especially an absolute breakdown of the most traditional Shade concepts. 

Shade magic NEEDS TO:

• lose Shade Gems
  • lose its endgame(s)
  • get stripped of its healing capabilities both major and minor
  • for people that believe rping by yourself is providing some elevated service to LoTC; GREATLY increase the idea that the shade is a separate identity and personality from its host, another character.
  • I personally always liked shade x other magic collaborations, make it 3 slots and base a lot of the magical roleplay around the new aesthetic and corrupted nature of those other 2 magics?
  • tier 5 shades or shade fathers/mothers are the end result of an untreated problem, the shade has now snuffed out anything that resembled the person from before – this means loss of things like memories, but not their racial curse or physical illnesses.

Just some ideas from someone who played a shade for quite a while and has actually been considering helping the current community with it if they were interested. I’m not totally “active”’ anymore due to my IRL circumstances, but I’m definitely invested in the Shade Lore and story as I am the Witches, so I hope this helps!

Apologies Archi if I sounded like a *****, just reading back through this and was like “yikes that comes across pretty rude”.

i should note that this write was more of a thought experiment in a genuine curse magic, and not something i carefully curated. i welcome varied opinions on it. i might edit and polish it, but more likely ill self deny it before its time for reviewal. i just wanted to see what smth like this would look like and maybe give the idea to others to not be afraid to make strong downsides, particularly in things that are intended to be curses. i wrote this **** in 4 hours on my phone

This lore has been self denied.