Sign in to follow this  
argonian

A Thesis on the Book of Availer

A Thesis on the Theological Importance of the Book of Availer

JutLiAPNe8XP-RhBfXrM_VPT7TGBuH5o7kZ4MHaoaGOuGOD7S-vbeRcJeO1LfTkVNz8xX2Dk48DN2gcdiyxRCZJJ15yz8emSDoWWJqVf2y8X-cMPcYbiWENvjnH-k91qEFlCW48j

The Wandering Wizard, Availer

While largely forgotten in the centuries since Ex. Godfrey blessed mankind with the Scroll of Gospel, the Book of Availer was the only document from which one could learn the history of Creation for over thirteen hundred years. Even today, although Gospel offers a more complete account of Creation, the Book of Availer still has huge theological importance in Canonism, and indeed many of our beliefs are known only from this book. 

Availer, as I’ll say for short, in italics to differentiate it from the Aengul himself, has been used as a book of teaching and instruction within the Church since time immemorial. Indeed, even after the reception of Gospel by Ex. Godfrey, its use still continued. Take for example, the Catechism of Ruskan Orthodoxy, 1452, which states(emphasis mine):

Catechism of Ruskan Orthodoxy:

‘Godanistan resides in the seventh skies as told in the account of the Wandering Wizard. We are unable to grasp his form in our current form as he is the ultimate being undecipherable and almighty; if he was simple enough that we could understand him and his ways as mere mortals, he would not be the ultimate being. He has sent Aenguls and Daemons, his messengers and tools, to aid the mortal races in conflict against those who stand to defy him.’

But why, one might ask, should we continue to study and teach from Availer, if Gospel has made it obsolete? The reason is, Availer tells us a lot about the curses which afflict the four descendant races that we might misunderstand if we were to only study Gospel.

The current catechism, the Catechism of the Canonist Church, 1723, says this regarding the curses:

Catechism of the Canonist Church:

‘Second, when the Four Brothers fought Iblees they acquired various curses which altered their appearances and disposition. Finally, God sent the Aengul Aeriel to alleviate the curses of the four races by granting blessings particular to each.’

These curses are recognised as being mortality for humans, (near) infertility for elves, greed and short stature for dwarves, and bloodlust for orcs. And, as the Catechism teaches, they gained these curses in the fight against Iblees. 

And yet, Gospel mentions nothing of these curses. Gospel 2:67 states that the Four Brothers were given blessings to alleviate them of their “imperfections”, but the only other mention of imperfections is in Gospel 1:45, where it states that the Lord “uncovered the imperfections of the Sons” to encourage their mother to leave for the Skies. So, from Gospel alone, one would believe that God Himself cursed Horen with mortality and the other brothers with their curses, in some twisted punishment for a sin of their mother and not their own. This is contrary to what the Catechism teaches, and it is wholly untrue. 

Availer solves this problem, as it clarifies that the curses were separate to the imperfections God had previously revealed. It clearly shows the curses were granted by Iblees during the battle, just as the Catechism states. I quote from Availer(which is not divided into chapters and verses--perhaps we should amend this for ease of quotation):

Book of Availer:

‘Before they could complete the sentence, Iblees stood tall for one last time

“You believe you may simply banish me from this plane and that my taint shall not last? I have touched this world with evil and it shall forever be part of the souls that inhabit it.

Malin, I curse you with sterility, you and your kin shall forever lack the children they need. May your forest halls forever be silent, and your hearts heavy with sadness.

Urguan, your greed and lust shall overcome you, you are not worthy of the height God gave you, your descendants shall be short, squalid and ugly. You will always seek to find Gold and Gems in the deep underground of the earth, your hunger never satisfied.

Horen, you wish immortality? I will curse you with the opposite, early death for you and your kin. You shall age quickly and die before you experience the fruits of your useless labour.

And you Krug, the most hated of The Descendants, you shall always have the lust of war. You are strong? Well the strength shall be used against your brothers, used to pillage and murder! Your lust for battle shall be unsatiated and your descendants shall grow ugly and heartless.”’

As we see here, Availer clearly reveals a truth that the Catechism teaches, but that we would miss if we relied on Gospel alone. Therefore Availer is a vital book for instruction in the Faith, and it is impossible to gain a full understanding of the faith without it. With this in mind, and reminding my dear brothers in faith of its historical usage within the Church, I urge Availer be recognised as part of the deuterocanon, or the Lesser Canon as I might call it. 

- Fr. Ailred Barclay.