Sign in to follow this  
Boniface

A Letter to the Auditor on the Xannic Paladins

Dear Auditor of the Tribunal,

I hope you are well in these trying times. I did not think that an investigation into the Paladins of the Aengul, Xan, would be on the for-front of your mind as I was expecting an official verdict from your office regarding the scroll of Saul. Your verdict is not one that I agree with, I believe it is based off lies that have been fed to you and things that you have not been informed of. For a long while now it has been public knowledge that the Paladins of Xan are required to worship the Aengul in order to gain their magical abilities, every Aengul or Daemon that bestows magic requires worship. It is therefore that the Paladins of Xan would be guilty of heresy for one can not, in good conscience, worship both the Lord and Xan. Perhaps they told you that they worship the Lord but follow the orders of the Aengul Xan, although I very must doubt this would be the case, this would then render them guilty of Idolatry.

I can not fathom how a pious canonist can claim to follow GOD whilst doing the bidding of an Aengul. I have read a public letter in which a lady that I know, alleges that the Paladins executed a poor sailor struggling to stay afloat whilst begging for his life. They justify this cold-blooded murder by claiming it could of been a trick to lure them into allowing a demon on board their ship, but I refute this wholly. It is the duty of all good canonists to help those in need, it is natural of course to fear a trap in the waters of the Korvassa, but loyal servants of the Lord put their own well-being below those in need of assistance before them, this is selflessness. Their leader took responsibility for the brutal murder of the injured sailor, yet where is the justice, where is his punishment? In your announcement you have said that their oath forces them to assist those in need and to do good for the realm, but how is this the case when they had executed a sailor struggling to keep his head above the water?

They might use the fact they are assisting humanity in the war against the Inferi as an example of their good-deeds and need for them to be around, but every nation and every race is currently in this fight, we are all fighting. The battle against the Inferi should not be used as a way to force their ideals on good canonists to confuse them. Veneration of the Aenguls and Daemons is acceptable, worship of them is not. Aenguls and Daemons require their followers to worship them. All men and women revere the aenguls and daemons, just as we do the Saints, why then if all Xan requires is veneration, is all of the canonist realm bestowed his magical boons?

I beseech you, Auditor of the Tribunal, to reconsider your acceptance of aengul worship. I appreciate you may have made this decision hastily as the war against the Inferi has us all busy. I believe you made an error of judgement as your own justification states that you only spoke with the Paladins themselves, I am sure if you put out a formal announcement for all who have had negative dealings with the paladins, many will raise their hand for your ear.

Friar Boniface

“Dear Friar Boniface,

Aenguls are without free will and are perfect servants of the Creator, per the dogma of the Church. Therefore, if Xan is requiring his servants to do anything that is heretical, blasphemous, immoral, or in any other way contrary to the will of God, Xan must be a Daemon rather than an Aengul. Just as worshipping Aenguls would be heresy, so too is the proposition that Aenguls would request worship.

If Xan is indeed an Aengul and not a Daemon, then what he requires of his servants cannot be worship and must correspond to God’s will.

How we can definitively determine if an Aengudaemonic being is an Aengul or a Daemon, I am unsure of. But the answer to the question of whether the prayers offered to Xan by the paladins constitute veneration or worship, and whether or not they serve God, would be given by the answer to that prior question.

Regards,

Fr. Ailred Barclay.”

Tanith lets out a sigh of relief as she reads over the Friar’s response. 

“Thank goodness at least some people understand. If we want to live morally, we have to do the right thing every time... even when it’s hard. Even if it might put us at risk. The more people who point out the flaws in the Paladin’s behavior, the more chance they might realize they’ve done wrong. And then finally make it right.”

“Xan demands service, not worship.” A Paladin posted on sentry in the far Northern reaches of Luxem Keep comments.

“If the creator made everything then how is worshiping his most direct creation, the Aenguldaemonica, bad?” Asks a certain magely figure to himself whilst meandering through Helena.

Abbot Bram would give a nod following his reading of the brother Friar’s comments on the recent promulgation. “I wholeheartedly agree. This new interpretation and laxity of faith is a departure from the clear teaching of the Church in ages past. In their veneration and service to the Aengulic forms, descendants are tethering their immortal souls to power they can never understand. This aught to be condemned as a dangerous and repulsive practice.”