[✗] [Magic Amendment] - Transfiguration - Warding and Abjuration

IsaaKc

Warding and Abjuration

5f08c800622a9a14cb27b674a86167c8.png

In D&D 5e, what are some good ways to play an Abjurer Wizard? Since they  are so tanky (for a wizard), do you just roll in there and cast at short  range? -

The following red-lines will be adjusted:

- You cannot Ward and Abjure magic that you, or someone accompanying, do not have an MA in.

- You must master a magic (Be tier 3 at least) in order to ward/abjure it. You cannot pick up an MA and drop it a week later and be capable of warding/abjuring it.

New red-line(s):

- You cannot Ward and Abjure magic that you have not possessed an MA in.

- You must master a magic (be Tier 5) in order to ward/abjure it. You cannot pick up an MA and drop it a week later and be capable of warding/abjuring it.

- You may only enchant Ward Shields onto objects that you possess an active MA in.

Purpose

In the original Transfiguration lore, it was stated that a Transfigurationist could Abjure or Ward a Voidal Magic so long that they had an MA in it, active or inactive. This was removed in the currently accepted lore. Although a minor detail, it allowed for a sense of power-scaling to be created that differentiated Mages from one another. A spellcaster who’s delved into their art and has a history of various Magics versus someone who just got 3 MAs thrown to him by his friend with a TA. Abjuration/Warding on its own as a Magic is not formidable in combat  and the branch itself is extremely situational due to the slim chances of running into and fighting a Mage who share an active MA with you. The implementation of this change would recreate that differentiation among Mages and would shift the presence of Abjuration as a near useless cantrip that could be utilized once in a blue moon to a competent spell that old and new Mage characters alike can put to use.

Credit

Phil’s original lore:

Currently accepted lore:

Edited by CaesarTheFirst

based and basepilled

5 minutes ago, CaesarTheFirst said:

- You cannot Ward and Abjure magic that you do not have/have possessed an MA in.

Literally the only issue I see with this is the minor error here of “do not have/have possessed”, which should be “do not have/have not possessed”.

3 minutes ago, TimberBuff said:

Literally the only issue I see with this is the minor error here of “do not have/have possessed”, which should be “do not have/have not possessed”.

Many thanks. Fixed.

man

16 hours ago, Gladuos said:

Double negatives hurt my brain. Just say “Can only ward/abjure magics you had an MA in.”

I went kinda coombrain when writing that. Fixed!

I should go grammar Nazi on you one day for the sole reason of ignoring my grammatical advice that one time

This lore has been denied. Denied upon player-request.