Sign in to follow this  
NotEvilAtAll

Drama and Victory! (Beetroot News, Volume 18)

Spoiler

[!] A halfling newspaper is found in your mailbox!

The Beetroot News!

Beetroot.png&f=1&nofb=1

~Better than the rest!~

Contents:

~Construct Conflict!~

~New Halfling in Brandybrook!~

~Wedding Drama!~

~Victory Over Demons!~

~Construct Conflict~

wtFesnZ.png

~Trouble-making bigguns in the Applefoot burrow!~

To start off this fine year, a bit o’ trouble hit the Applefoot burrow as a mischievous biggun sends a construct to harass the poor ol’ Brandybrook halflings! The construct was dealt with swiftly with a good whack to the noggin’ with a pan, and some snaps at its ankles from some Alchemist’s Shears as well. It will not bother us again, I hope!

Spoiler

This scenario was very fun, and I’m glad I got to take part in it. It’s probably the most interesting, dynamic, and hilarious RP I’ve ever taken part in. Props to everyone involved.

~New Halfling in Brandybrook!~

iYhG0Ah.png

~A li’l welcoming gathering for the new halfling!~

Brandybrook has recently been blessed with a new halfling inhabitant! This halfling lad, going by Maggot, does not like to wear a shirt for some reason. In spite of his strange clothing choices, I’m sure he’ll fit in with the rest of us just fine!

zJw9oSI.png

~Maggot greets some bigguns in the village (including the Orc who’s life I saved back in the Demonic attack on Aegrothond)!~

May Lord Knox bring him good luck in these troubling times!

~Wedding Drama!~

pbkbABw.png

~Gathering snacks and listening to music before the wedding starts!~

I, Filibert Applefoot, the greatest halfling to have graced this village in a long while, have found a lovely companion that I wish to share my life with for the rest of eternity. Her name is Greta Goodbarrel (now Greta Goodbarrel-Applefoot), and just recently our marriage was made official. It was the cause of much celebration, with booze and food being shared ‘round as everyone discussed recent events in the village.

DPr8eFp.png

~The wedding itself!~

unknown.png

~Fireworks!~

uJ3VWbV.png

~Carving Pumpkins!~

We also carved several pumpkins after the wedding was over. I shall not announce any winners, for the pumpkin carving was not done with any competitive intent. However, I shall provide drawings of the carvings for any who wish to see what was carved:

Spoiler

unknown.png

PUMPKINNNNN.png

lol.png

clover_pumpkin.png

unknown.png

untitled.png

Soviet_Pumpkin_MS_Paint.png

zJAfJl1.png

~Pictured in the back is Evar, known womanizer, and an unnamed biggun, who’d throw the bottle that started this mess~

After this, Greta Goodbarrel roused us all for a speech. She discussed many things in this speech, from her love of me, Filibert, and her love of the village of Brandybrook, and how we must stick together in these strange times. She also discussed the political leadership of Brandybrook, and that she found it to be lacking. This prompted many in the audience to voice their disagreement. Eventually, tensions rose further, with a biggun who was attending the speech throwing a bottle at Greta. It escalated even more. Elven-made swords, designed to protect ourselves against Demons, were drawn against fellow halflings. An attempt was made upon Greta’s life, with several halflings intervening to try and protect her from harm. After much distress, Isalie Gardner, the Thain, was able to disperse the crowd, leading to the groups that tried to protect and kill Greta going off into separate areas to discuss things further.

e3j9MDO.png

~Blood was nearly spilt. The attempt on Greta’s life missed by a hair~

Zh5qSYI.png

~The gathering is split up, so that tensions may cool down~

As a result of this horrendous affair, I’m taking it upon myself to regulate the Elven-made swords within Brandybrook better. Please see the noticeboard for more information.

Spoiler

~Victory Over Demons!~

JsLavkP.png

~Minto, Greta, Fred, and Filibert waiting for the Demons to breach the gates~

In brighter news, despite our recent attempts to cause harm to one another, we still managed to keep ourselves together to deal with the real threat towards our safety; the Demonic invasion of southern Arcas. We donned our Elven-made armor and weaponry, and headed out to the camp along the front lines to ward off evil. A great fight ensued, with halflings playing many roles within it.

wvNnTtW.png

Us wee folks served as great medics, bringing many out of the front lines and into the medical tent for treatment. If we had not been present, it’s likely that more casualties would’ve been sustained by the anti-Demon forces.

gRPq9ej.png

Furthermore, many halflings, the Oceantoes specifically, tried to rescue the ballista crew when they were hit by flying Demons. It did not go so well, and resulted in some halfling casualties. At the very least, our efforts there distracted the Demons that could’ve been focusing on much more vital targets.

FZE78Gq.png

Although we did not escape unscathed, we slew some Demons, provided aid for many of the wounded, and were a thorn in the Demons’ side all throughout the battle. This is yet another success for the descendants and a defeat for the Demons, which us wee folks played an important role in.

Our losses were not just injuries. A halfling we’ve known and loved for a long time is no longer with us. Fred Puddlefoot of Hillsborough is no more. He perished from his wounds sustained at the battle. I tried my best to patch up his horribly burnt arms, but it was not enough. May he rest eternally in Knox’s eternal wheatfields.

That’s all for now folks!

-Filibert Applefoot,

local halfling know-it-all.

Greta sets down the paper, letting out a small sigh of relief. ”Thank God I married a responsible journalist.”

Fred sips some tea with his good friends, Micah and Benedict, laughing at all the good times they had when alive. 

Ayred can’t help but smirk as he reads over the paper, how he got his hands on it? Not important. ”Only reliable source of news” The former Mali’Fenn comments, rolling his shoulders before returning to his forge.

Hoppy springs by the notice board on his usual skip through the village, though halting to a sudden stand-still as he caught sight of the little, wooden bulletin board, overflowing with miscellaneous notes, and a spare, discarded volume of the Beetroot News abandoned beside it. The brown-haired halfling hastily swooped the newspaper up, tossing himself onto his behind and leaning his back leisurely against the bulletin board with his legs stretched out before him to flip through it. 

“T’is week ‘as been full of postin’ to teh notice board an’ we ‘ave been givin’ back to teh world with our MOIGHTEH presence an’ i’s showin’! We mus’ ‘ave teh demons quakin’ in their lil’ spoikeh boots!” he’d exclaim excitedly with his legs suddenly kicking out before him, as if second nature, while he used a dirt-caked finger to trace along the words as he read.

Edward lowered his head, paying respect to Fred. “Well, at least he said that I attempted to save the Ballista crew. Best to leave out my injuries.”

Boris looked at the newspaper for several minutes, carefully reading it over. He coughed, and then wandered off, thanking the old halfling who, alongside his brother, had saved his life.

Teric looked over the newspaper, his ghostly eyebrows raising.

”...Filililibert got eh woife?”

The Specter chuckled, remembering a time the halfling had not been so fortunate with love, down in the Underground.

From there, the ghost began to calculate potato stocks.

Maggot squints at the board, leaning in closer. “Is that me?” he says, taking a smoke from his cigar, pausing for a moment. “Bloody ‘ell, it is... I’m in the paper.” He looks around more excitedly, no one around. “I’m in the paper!” he shouts.