The Tales of Armilas Draconis - Volume I

Notic

Volume I: The Beasts of Old

Deep within the mighty forests of the land before the first, laid the beasts of the world’s creation. Mighty stags with 50 horns tromped over trees like the triumphant giants they were. The great hedgehog laid in it’s mighty clearing, the infirm creatures of the wild worshipping it like the king of their land. The wolf, strong and bloodthirsty, lay watching from it’s mighty peak. It was hungry; Hungry for a feast on the mighty Hedgehog.

Though, this was not all at hand. For the wolf feared the Hedgehog, King of the Wood or the mighty Stags. He feared that he was too small and would soon be the grand dinner of either of them. In his great uncertainty, he went to seek help from his friend, the fox. The fox was not like the others, not like the wolf. He was crafty and cunning, a trickster of the modern world. He made his home a cave near the riverbank, having made a bridge over it. Now, the river was deep, deep enough to where you could not get out. The fox thought this appealing for his defense, as the weak must be strong in order to not be eaten.

What is it that you seek, dear friend?” The fox said, his tongue forked like a serpent, and his voice cold like a storm. 

I seek help, for I am hungry, starving, and yet I do not know how to get food. I fear, fox, I fear that it is only a matter of time before they get hungry for me! The wolf said, panicked. 

”Very well, bring your prey here, to my den, and I will deal with them.” He said, the wolf quickly obeying and going to get the great Hedgehog.

The Hedgehog thought of himself as a god among creatures. He sat, a giant, being worshipped by those around him. He had never had any awareness of the existence of these “Fox” and “Wolf” characters. He sat in his perfect world, the mighty stags being his friends and providing his kingdom safety from the evils outside the forests. He lived in luxury, only ever having to eat leaves and berries that were harvested by the rabbits of his land. It was a peaceful life.

Soon, the Wolf entered the great dark oaks of King Hedgehog, fearing for his life. He stood before the robust mass that was this beast. 

”I have an offering for you! I am from the land in the mountains, deep within the snow. I want to give a gift!” He called out. 

”Very well, my child, lead me to this offering. I am quite honored of your worship.” The hedgehog boomed through the valley, shaking the very trees themselves.

After much travelling, they reached the great bridge of the wolf. Surprisingly, this was no tiny bridge, it was a bridge that stretched out wide and forward that was large enough to fit one of the stag’s feet. The wolf began to walk with the hedgehog over the bridge, before the shifting of rope was heard. It got louder, and louder as the bridge grew more unstable. Suddenly, the wolf darted his head upwards to find the Fox clawing the rope off the bridge. The wolf began to sprint full speed off of it, jumping on to land before the entire thing collapsed, leaving the hedgehog dead in the water.

”You killed him! Now I can’t even eat him!” The wolf exclaimed in his great anger.

This should’ve been a good thing, but the Wolf and the Fox were different. The Wolf hunted for food, the Fox hunted for sport. 

”I did exactly as you requested. I dealt with your prey. You did not care to ask how I was going to do it, you were blinded by your own cowardly ways and frantically trusted me.” The fox said, his tongue hissing like a snake as he got an evil, horrifying grin on his face. 

You tricked me! You’re evil!” The wolf yelled, betrayed and confused. “Why would the fox do this?” He asked himself, “Why betray the very person he sought to help?”

Soon after the wolf left, trotting back to his great mountain. The animals of the forest no longer sang of their great king, the 50-horned stags no longer provided shade. It seemed everyone had left, riding off on the stag’s backs through the ocean to new lands. The only one’s left were the cunning fox, and the ignorant wolf.

[!] A small notice was written on the bottom of the story: 

”New volumes coming next week, we will learn what became of the fox and the wolf.” 

Image result for a river and a fox

Edited by VWebb