"The Last Light" By Armilas Draconis

Notic

[!] A small note was left on the first page of the book.

“This is an accurate retelling of the horrific events on the second demonic raid from The Last Light Camp on the shores of Korvassa. I am telling this from my perspective, and what I saw and experienced. Please enjoy, and stay safe.”  -Armilas

It was about 9 PM off the coast of Korvassa. The allied descendants had all united in the Last Light Camp without any hatred, all standing there to protect their home Arcas. Seeing as everyone is always at war, I was glad that people could see eye-to-eye in a time of crisis. It made me happy that we could finally unite against a common enemy. I would soon regret this.

I had arrived earlier in the day, having been doing Ballista maintenance with a few of the other soldiers. Someone had put a rock in the loading mechanism (Most likely an imp) but thankfully we caught it in time. After that, I went onto the ship and prepared some medical supplies. Since I’ve never been much of a fighter, I thought I could do my part by helping on that end. I was one of maybe 3 Medics at this siege, but we tried our hardest to close the gap.

At about 10 PM, people started showing up on boats and the Siege officially begun. I was scared, but I still had no idea the horrors about to befall me and my friends. I stood with my shield high outside the medical tent, supplies still being down by the docks. This was my first mistake. As the sky cracked, an evil laugh echoed through the night sky. This giant, fat yellow creature flew on a throne, his legions holding him in the air. He proclaimed down to us that this would be our last day on this earth. I took it as a bluff. Soon after everyone in the front gate was roused, an explosion from the Eastern Wall was heard. It appeared an Imp had blown up part of the wall, but thankfully we had soldiers positioned there. I feel that plan is why I am still speaking to you all today.

I ran over to the wall with my medical supplies, demons already flooding in through the gap. Some druids tried to repair it, but their roots couldn’t hold them back. Hell broke loose for those soldiers as I ran around with Greta, a halfling medic, trying to keep everyone in tact. Soon after I arrived over there, a demon began to steal the boats and light them on fire. Many of the Dwarves pushed through the docks, fighting valiantly. That was probably when we had the upper hand, many heads of demons flying around and blood squirting. Thankfully, they didn’t rely on as much Malflame this time. As we pushed down the docks, I turned around to hear the screams of an armored man. I stood in horror over him as his arm lay on the ground, severed.

I quickly grabbed the man, bringing him to the medical tent before starting the surgery. I stopped the internal bleeding, sewing his wound. This was very tedious, and before I could finish the rest of the soldiers burst into the tent, ”If you stay here any longer, you’ll be dead!” They exclaimed. The man rose out of the bed, beginning to follow them.

“Your wounds will re-open if you continue to move! You’ll bleed out and die!” I yelled.

”I would rather die on the way home than die in this damned tent!” He snapped at me, running out with the other soldiers.

Reluctantly, I followed them, looking up at the sky. My mouth dropped in shock as I looked at the swarms and swarms of them above me. I had heard bugs breached the West Wall, but this was something entirely different. Thousands, nay, Millions of bugs the size of a Human male floated about in the skies above, talons razor sharp. Their talons glimmered in their great swarm as people screamed, ”Run! Run to the Southwest Wall!” 

I looked around for any injured, but there was no time, they were fast. Closing in on us like bolts from a crossbow, I ran. One decided to stay behind and shield us, though. The mighty Kit-Kat Gardner, a halfling woman with the spirit of a lion. She stood before 50 of the bugs, her sword raised high as she slashed them down. For a while, she was lucky, taking out a good few of them. That was before her foot slipped. She fell on the ground, the bugs overwhelming her in what is the most horrifying thing I have ever seen. Limb from limb, they tore at her as she screamed in agony. They gnawed on her flesh, then her bone, until she was no more. By this point, everyone else had fled, and the only ones of us left were me and Boris Oceantoe. He tried to save her, but I stopped him. There was no fighting that horde. There was no chance of survival. As he screamed at me, I dove into the water, barely escaping them.

We floated for miles, drifting about on the waves until we washed ashore. It still haunts me...what I saw that day. Limb from limb. Limb from limb.

Edited by VWebb