Sign in to follow this  
Jade_Emen

OOC - New Halfling Government Concept

This was written by ImCookiie before they left LOTC. This was going to be the template that we would start to develop, but then stuff happen ooc and irp and it just didnt make sense for me at the time to start making a bunch of changes. Maybe that was wrong of me, idk. But, I thought I would show you the players this. This is my plan for the next map. To have a council that everyone can participate in, no matter how big or small the role is. This isnt set in stone and is subject to debate or correction. I wanna hear your thoughts and concerns and ideas.

PREFACE: An update to the current Halfling council could provide more activities and responsibilities for deserving players of the community— whilst working towards more activity and a steady retention of newcomers. This would also differentiate responsibilities and lessen the burden of upkeep to a singular or small group of people. Nowhere near complete. Suggestions are welcome.

The Halfling Council

THE THANE’S OFFICE

— THE THAIN

As is tradition, an esteemed member of the council is elected to become the Thain and furthermore hold executive and political power over the halfling populace of (village name). 

— THE MAYOR

Right-hand to the Thain, helps with anything that is needed

Also could keep finances of the village in-check

— THE SHERIFF 

Keeper of culture and law 

— THE ELDERS

Advisors to the council cos of age and experience

THE COMMON OFFICE

(order subject to change for final edit)

THE STEWARD

Housing stuff + shops and stalls

— THE LIBRARY

Someone to keep track of books and museum

— THE MILITARY

Unlike their descendant counterparts, the wee-folk of (village name) are oft seen in practice, mounted on steeds of smaller stature and slower speed (donkeys basically, thought it’d be funny)

— THE ARCHITECT

Someone who helps build + organize future and current builds (more so a role to offer those who are willing to help)

— THE HIGH PUMPLAR

A player interested in creating and propagating lore and culture to the halfling community (eg. knox)

— THE PARTY PLANNER

A player who wants to run events, in accordance with permission from the council

THE PUBLIC OFFICE

— THE PARRIARCH

Patriarch of renown families who aid and participate heavily in discussion of topics and verdicts (major changes, trials, etc)

— THE VIGIL

Members of the populace deemed righteous by the council to undergo private investigations (to accommodate for stuff like b.o.o.s.e)

Rename “The Military” to something more LOTR inspired, like “The Bounders”. It doesn’t feel right to call a small crew of halfling slingers and shovellers trying to ward off thieves a “military”. Also, if they’re going to use mounts, use pigs instead of donkeys.

Other than that, my only critique is that there’s a few too many positions to be held. Some things should probably be merged for the sake of not having 2/3rds of the active village population be in the government. Architect and Steward can be merged, for example. A separate Sheriff and private investigative body seems a bit weird. The two can probably get merged somehow. Mayor and Party Planner can also get merged if need be.

Edited by NotEvilAtAll

I like it! I would, however:

1. rather have either just a Mayor or just a council, as they seem redundant and probably would just cause a weird power struggle with lots of decision-making people involved, if that makes sense.
  2. I would take every other position outside of The Thane’s Office category and simply make it into a ‘jobs board’ or something of the like, as those are more so RP roles people take up on their own volition, and something we should welcome other people to help with, rather than just force these specific tasks onto one person for each.

It’s a sound system. Gives everyone what they want. +1

I really like this and I think that, with a little tweaking, this will be perfect.

My thoughts:

The council should each be elected a different way. 

Thain: Should be appointed for life by the elders. In charge of all halflings, period. 

Mayor: Should be elected by the Halflings. 

Sheriff: Should be elected by the Bounders (see below) with consent of the Thain. 

Elders: Each family gets one vote for elders, usually cast by the Parriarch.

Steward: Should be appointed by the Mayor. 

Library: Should fall under the High Pumplar

Military: Should be renamed Bounders

Architect: Seems too un-halfling. Maybe the Surveyor? 

Old halfling boomer here to bring up an OOC discussion on halfling rulings because I must prevent the mistakes of the past...

Personally IDM there being things like ‘Mayor’ or whatever though I will just say it’s a pain in the ass from an OOC perspective to get anything done when you have a ‘council’. That’s how the government was back on Dunshire and there was a reason that I went and couped it when I became the Sheriff. People fall into inactivity, and then the whole ordeal of progression grinds to a halt.

Now, that all being said I think that concurrently with the level of halfling activity there is it could very easily be given a form of leadership tiering system, though that’s up for you to decide. Personally the ideal of ‘’’’communist’’’’ but not really halflings was always peak levels of governmental system for me, inspired lots of cool RP, though when you get into elections you run the risk of stuff getting very mucky or what not

As well there’s all these cool jobs, though I wouldn’t stress over immediately filling them or completely relying on them. Adding too much bureaucracy is just gunna stress things out rather than get stuff truly ‘productive’. Just vibe and RP

2 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Rename “The Military” to something more LOTR inspired, like “The Bounders”. It doesn’t feel right to call a small crew of halfling slingers and shovellers trying to ward off thieves a “military”. Also, if they’re going to use mounts, use pigs instead of donkeys.

Other than that, my only critique is that there’s a few too many positions to be held. Some things should probably be merged for the sake of not having 2/3rds of the active village population be in the government. Architect and Steward can be merged, for example. A separate Sheriff and private investigative body seems a bit weird. The two can probably get merged somehow. Mayor and Party Planner can also get merged if need be.

I, and I can't believe I'm saying this, agree with everything Jumper has said. 

My thoughts fall mostly in line with those of Jumper and Burnside

What I will add is an opinion I have on the elected officials (Mayor etc.)

They should serve for “good behavior” which is for life unless they are removed or challenged.

Any halfling who has at least a few supporters should be able to challenge a sitting official for their position; thereby commencing an election. This is a right that is extended to citizens in Haelun’or, and keeps their democracy fresh and prevents a situation where nobody’s voice is being heard without having unnecessary election cycles.

Of course, if the sitting candidate gets more votes than the challenger, then they stay.

The thain should also be able to remove someone from office provided they can nominate at least one candidate to succeed them; the election process would then commence to finalize this decision.

Edited by Johnnythewizard

On 9/28/2020 at 6:28 PM, Dont_Advertise said:

Old halfling boomer here to bring up an OOC discussion on halfling rulings because I must prevent the mistakes of the past...

Personally IDM there being things like ‘Mayor’ or whatever though I will just say it’s a pain in the ass from an OOC perspective to get anything done when you have a ‘council’. That’s how the government was back on Dunshire and there was a reason that I went and couped it when I became the Sheriff. People fall into inactivity, and then the whole ordeal of progression grinds to a halt.

Now, that all being said I think that concurrently with the level of halfling activity there is it could very easily be given a form of leadership tiering system, though that’s up for you to decide. Personally the ideal of ‘’’’communist’’’’ but not really halflings was always peak levels of governmental system for me, inspired lots of cool RP, though when you get into elections you run the risk of stuff getting very mucky or what not

As well there’s all these cool jobs, though I wouldn’t stress over immediately filling them or completely relying on them. Adding too much bureaucracy is just gunna stress things out rather than get stuff truly ‘productive’. Just vibe and RP

I agree with this boomer