Joining The Staff

Telanir

Hi everyone,

There are a lot of people applying to the staff and this—of course—is fantastic. I would like to offer a few tips, however, as applications are often a source of confusion.

Two of the main things we look for that are usually missing are presence and initiative. LotC Staff is a volunteer position and as we cannot guarantee motivation based on payment we have to know your motivation comes from within.

When we look for initiative we look for clues that you are already trying to perform the role you are applying for. You don’t need permissions to start now or to make a difference—you can improve LotC today, and show your drive.

When we say presence, we often mean your activity in #help or #ws channels, your general helpfulness & demeanor, and your ability to cooperate with existing staff. Behaviour embodying respect and empathy both in-game and on the forums makes a big difference. If you make yourself known on a human level with existing staff you make the choice to trust & promote much simpler.

I hope this helps you make the choice & aids you in your journey to contribute to our beloved server. Have a nice day!

———

Also, please check out @worldeater’s tips on helping out in the community!

I would like to nominate myself for the position of Senior Admin. I have both initiative and presence!

2 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

I would like to nominate myself for the position of Senior Admin. I have both initiative and presence!

This man is an impostor, please pick me for Senior Admin.

10 minutes ago, Aoxomoxoa said:

This man is an impostor, please pick me for Senior Admin.

13 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

Yes, I saw Werew0lf vent from electrical 

I’m happy you took the initiative to write this short tidbit but I feel like you could have tacked on more additional information to assist players who are interested in contributing to this community. Instead, it looks like my monthly email from Chipotle. 

hmm i may apply for moderator yes

As if it’s worth it

1 hour ago, worldeater said:

I’m happy you took the initiative to write this short tidbit but I feel like you could have tacked on more additional information to assist players who are interested in contributing to this community. Instead, it looks like my monthly email from Chipotle. 

I’m happy to hear it. It’s true I wrote the post to tackle a single issue—but you’re welcome to write something now and staple it to the thread I suppose.

1 hour ago, Telanir said:

I’m happy to hear it. It’s true I wrote the post to tackle a single issue—but you’re welcome to write something now and staple it to the thread I suppose.

Antifa-YES.png?fit=257,300&ssl=1

Yes.

Determining Your Team

There are a myriad of Staff Teams on LoTC responsible for different facets of server development. If you are inclined towards languages, logic, and mathematics you should join the Tech Team. If you are interested in writing and story development, then the Story Team and so on. When I was first brought onto staff by Raelplayer and Tirenas in 2015 it was because they were looking for impressionable people who could be trained to provide events for a certain niche of player groups. 

When you are brought onto a team it is often for a specific task. Teams operate under the basis of delegation and your Team Lead will give you tasks to do. Many competent writers and developers; however, may not be given the opportunity to prove themselves on a staff team. And there are many who endeavor to help despite a lack of breadth and prior experience. For individuals such as they I would issue the following recommendations:

• Find your niche. Create projects, do things on your own without the use of potential staff permissions and privileges. Sometimes, it is not your time to be on a staff team. You may not be what somebody is looking for at a given time to fulfill a certain set of tasks or niches. Ultimately, volunteer positions on here wax and wane depending on what tasks need accomplishing, and if you wait you will certainly be given a turn to shoot your shot.
  • When applying for a staff team you should know that the majority is stacked against you unless you have a very good reputation or have pulled significant clout with players who are on that team. While there is room for meritocracy on staff, many teams operate on the basis of who has formed what relationships, and staff is more so following orders than it is a joint-partnership between players. Do not expect to make long-lasting change immediately and do not do too much at first and burn yourself out.
  • I heavily recommend not applying for multiple different staff positions over the course of a few months or at the same amount of time. If you are that eager to work, find a job or a volunteer position in real life, and aim for one thing at a time on here. It’s not bad to desire to be on multiple teams, but it is unrealistic. Your focus should be one team at a time, and you should leave room for personal relationships on here and role-play. You are a volunteer, you are not paid, and you will legitimately explode if you attempt to do tons of tasks nonstop for zero pay. It’s a high-stress environment to have to collaborate with so many people and you need to pace yourself or most certainly you will lose your cool and do things you regret.

I will likely add more tips onto here. I gotta sign off.