Conflict: The Lifeblood of RP

Unwillingly

t’is just a ploy to advertise ur clan everyone dont readit dont read it

I salute you. 

A king we do not deserve 

daels are the lords of the craft thanks

Some people just can’t grasp that conflict is everywhere. It can be social—gossiping, conniving, or manipulating; it can be physical—climbing a dangerous mountain, engineering some convoluted contraption, or yes, clashing swords; and it can also be psychic—internal turmoil, disagreement of philosophy (debate), and otherwise. But usually it is all of the above, at once.

I’m not sure this thread even means to discuss purely villains because conflict is not limited to only Big Bads™. Conflict reveals tension in a story, and tension means the consequences & finale of the story may be surprising or novel. We apes like that, hence we dislike clichés because we know how those stories end—so we skip them. Conflict is the most powerful way to tie together a unique narrative & to learn a lesson from it—indigenous peoples historically passed stories down as lessons, and without conflict it is hard (& maybe even impossible) to convey a lesson that is useful to us.

It’s a great place to start @Unwillingly, thanks for writing it. 🙂

On 10/4/2020 at 9:24 PM, NotEvilAtAll said:

Walden, a book about Henry David Thoreau living in a cabin in the woods for 2 years, has a plot. It is full of nothing but recollections and musings about his experiences, but it absolutely has a plot. There’s no greater conflict inherent to it, unless you try and draw some weird sort of man vs nature conflict out of a man trying to live at peace with the natural world.

The conflict of Walden is literally him deciding to abandon civilization in America and having to deal with the pressures of living outside of society. The climax of the story is him surviving the harshness of winter, and its resolution is him deciding his project succeeded and him deciding to return to society. 

The argument kind of falls flat when you’re taking a story with literally one character and comparing it to a massive online community with hundreds of players who are all involved in inter connecting stories.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:53 PM, NotEvilAtAll said:

afterwards the Demons invaded Aegrothond nearby and everybody hid in bunkers underneath the earth for 3 hours straight as we waited for it to end. It was about as un-boring as it gets.

also this is literally conflict 

Conflict intertwines with every single type of roleplay and encounter and narrative that’s possible. It’s genuinely just how all narratives go, the tradition start → ‘problem’ → resolution format to stories.

People are being smooth brain here trying to say that ‘Slice of Life’ RP and that Conflict RP are the antithesis of one another. Even Slice of Life has aspects of conflict, perhaps that cheese you’re crafting doesn’t work perfectly so you have to do a new batch, or a competitive tournament of whatever halfling fishing thing that may happen. People need to address that conflict is essential to roleplay, but not all conflict is a black and white distinction of pacifism and violence. Instead, conflict roleplay is the base line for the way characters immerse and intertwine with others, with events that may happen during the day or to bloodied battles. Any single hardship a character faces is some sort of conflict, the most basic fundamentals of character progression and narratives rely on some sort of conflict, whether that be personal or external.

The main issues of players when approaching this, is the aspect of no ‘positive’ return for the time they spend. Whether losing a personal experience, a fight, inner conflict etc. People do not believe things are worth their time if they have the potential to lose, the foundation of this guide is really just setting up the foundations of Dynamicism and being ‘able’ to play a character that grows with the character. People get upset from many things, an indiscriminate chain of OOC that comes from either losing, (getting cuckolded lol) or a variety of things that may be negative to the character. What people must do is to learn to embrace and look at these situations as the characters instead of the OOC mentalities behind it.

The guide touched upon the barebones of the issues of conflict but also really shows the massive disconnect between the server in regards to what is “acceptable” roleplay and what isn’t. For those that compete in exclusive high stakes ‘conflict’, do not ostracise those that do more benign interactions, as does those of the lower stakes slice of life roleplayers do not bash and slam that one format is better than the other. Remember that every single facet of roleplay is appreciated on this server (except cybering because it’s literally just sexting and please dont cyber I beg you), the players just need to learn how to be able to include the large varieties of roleplay styles to create a fully rounded character. The server is so divided and so are the playerbases because of various issues like this.

I agree with a lot of the points that were made here. I believe that there should be more people willing to play well thought out villainy characters. I’m not talking about low quality road bandits who rob people hoping for resistance to get their left clicks for the day in, but rather characters like the one you played a bit as.

Conflict is already apparent in everyday situations on the server, even if there is technically no ‘bad guy’ in the situation. But, there are few people that make it their goal to provide conflict to others, and this is something that I wish more people would play into, and be able to enjoy without getting oocly ganged up on by groups of powergamers who immediately halt any plans they might have-- I’m not saying to give villainy characters godlike powers, but rather, for the times they succeed and be defeated  to actually make sense.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:23 PM, Unwillingly said:

Separating IC from OOC

Although this one is probably a given, it’s, unfortunately, a problem many players still act upon: the idea that your IC actions = your OOC intentions.

sad that i lost a friend to this just because i pked (killed myself irp) and some people in haelunor just straight avoid rping with me just because i was undecisive on making a character