CONFLICT AND WHY IT'S ESSENTIAL

Mickaelhz

i miss bandits, they really made it hard for me to keep my gates opened, meaning i had to conscript more guards to either take them on or make them do more gate duty. right now i can leave the gate open with only the minor risk of two guys entering and trying to cause a bit of a ruckus while easily dealt with and usually them lacking proper motives to do anything alike. the current system doesn’t give good roleplay, it takes it. we need good villainy without too much rules limiting them so that i can once more try to find solutions of how to deal with them. doing CRP combat with 9 people is already really painful, i do not want to imagine what 11 would look like without a moderator on site trying to stop powergaming, false accusations or general toxicity. it is inevitable in CRP where both parties do not want to lose.

Honestly, not all the new rules are even that terrible. The main one that I find to be problematic is that banditing a road on a tile puts that entire tile on raid cool down rather than just the city.

image.thumb.png.657bdb824cea7bac50186d8cffd43e9b.png

you’re so right the one thing i’ve really really missed is pvp goons interrupting my RP for no greater reason than to upset people

u know i fk w this

We don’t have any good villainy RP or bandit RP anymore imo because staff don’t allow for it to happen. It’s like that **** with the no-macro’ing where you couldn’t copy and paste halt emotes as a bandit, yet, they were also expected to type quality halting emotes in the time a player MCly sprints past them

I’m not saying that the job 100% falls on staff, because it doesn’t, but like I said in my recent similar post, the responsibility of making good RP comes down to the average player too. Like, be the change you want to see in villainy or banditry or w/e  

45 minutes ago, Mickaelhz said:

See, I'm not the smartest dude

i know

Edit: After actually reading the post, i can say that I couldn't agree more on this matter. I want lotc nations to have an actual military. Wouldn't that be crazy? I'm tired to see military trainings only having formations and some tussling between soldiers, people need more of a challenge and the road is the perfect place to strenghten up a military, cuz they wont use formations after the countdown goes off, but experience  they've earned through previous interactions with actual enemies.

2 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

you’re so right the one thing i’ve really really missed is pvp goons interrupting my RP for no greater reason than to upset people

That mentality coming from a single bad experience with a player who’s probably banned already doesn’t give you the right to generalize the entire bandit community. 

Also if you go into a banditting situation with that mindset it should come as no suprise that you get upset. Since you were already prepared to be annoyed. 

Lastly, what you’re talking about isn’t a a reason why the rules on villainy should be stricter... you’re talking about an attitude/behaviour issue.

2 minutes ago, Mickaelhz said:

That mentality coming from a single bad experience with a player who’s probably banned already doesn’t give you the right to generalize the entire bandit community. 

Also if you go into a banditting situation with that mindset it should come as no suprise that you get upset. Since you were already prepared to be annoyed. 

Lastly, what you’re talking about isn’t a a reason why the rules on villainy should be stricter... you’re talking about an attitude/behaviour issue.

This is true. Players exist that are genuinely good at bandit RP. I’ve been on the receiving end of these players and lost but at the end of the day it’s just a game and conflict is a fun part of it that progresses the stories of players and nations.

Based.

I don’t share your view of Bandit RP as a lost art (Lord knows I got exasperated with it at times) – but I do think the new rules are ****. Rather than dealing with some of the problems related to Bandit RP (repeatedly bushwhacking the same people/town over and over again, poor RP on both sides, and meta rallies and moderation scuffles) they seem to have decided to go for the lazy approach and just eliminate it – which is a damn shame. Bandit RP was and will almost always be rough around the edges and painful when you’re on the wrong side, but you are right – it stimulates RP and gives military nerds something to do rather than faff about in a town square in a pretty skin waiting for the next war claim, so there is potential to it.

I miss the days when there were no shits given, one of my best noob memories on this server was getting my ass handed to me by a group of bandits right outside urguan’s capital. #bringbacknotgivingashit

anyone else noticed there’s literally a competition or festival every single day now because they’re the only things even slightly competitive or notable that happen anymore

i can have drinking contests irl; why would i want to do it daily in minecraft? idk about you guys but i joined the server because the idea of a co-operative story, creating our own history together and each providing our own part to it, however small, seemed really ******* cool. but there’s no story now. nothing happens, nothing changes. look at old wiki pages and it's people being assassinated, losing wars, facing rebellions, starting schisms. countries rising and falling. what happens now? the #2343634785489468943th tea making competition of the week. epic.

edit:

@Anore leave my posts alone you actual control-freak.

there was literally nothing wrong or rule-breaking in it. 

1 minute ago, argonian said:

anyone else noticed there’s literally a competition or festival every single day now because they’re the only things even slightly competitive or notable that happen anymore

i can have drinking contests irl; why would i want to do it daily in minecraft? idk about you guys but i joined the server because the idea of a co-operative story, creating our own history together and each providing our own part to it, however small, seemed really ******* cool. but there’s no story now. nothing happens, nothing changes. look at old wiki pages and it's people being assassinated, losing wars, facing rebellions, starting a schism. countries rising and falling. what happens now? the #2343634785489468943th tea making competition of the week. epic.

I agree man, before i could excuse it because the TPS was rat and the server was laggy, but now that the server is back on track people should start up the fun things again... realize there’s more to lotc than sitting around a campfire or a table talking about the next time you can have a walk on the beach together.

Just a heads up, I’m hiding all one sentence/ meme only posts. I literally want valuable input from this thread, not jokes and excuses to stir drama. Put some effort into your post because I know you got more to say. 

The more that you try to control or limit something, in regards to RP – you’re dampening people’s creativity. Villainy Applications were seen as abhorrent, horrible and an unneeded gate in RP, something that’s similar to this, that’s been debated before.

I believe Raid CDs to be a similar thing, now that it counts any villainy – no matter the number, nor placement – as a raid, henceforth allowing nations to have easy CDs. It’s a limit that prevents dynamic RP. Nothing’s more poor than being told to leave – or worst, receive a temp-ban – due to an arbitrary gate, that protects incompetent nations who chose not to invest in a proper guard-force. It may not be the intent, but it’ll be the effect of this.

Conflict, mental and physical, is the life-blood of the server. It’s, what I personally believe, makes things interesting as shown in Event-lines and Day-to-Day RP. Dark magics, and arts, are going to be drastically affected by the rules.

1 hour ago, Mickaelhz said:

the new rules you can be locked in an 11 player CRP session

As for above, I’ll give you this just to give you a taste of future CRP;

man.png

The main problems about the Rollplay CRP is that it doesn’t account for anything. It doesn’t care if you’re using a weapon with further range, nor if you’re covered in platemail – It’s a predetermined ‘you’re injured’, all relying on luck.

It borders on a reason why I somewhat dislike PVP as people will use it to win conflict, that they have no chance of winning IRPly. Why bother preparing, learning how to wield a weapon and carrying items on you if a random person can kill you with a dagger – just due to luck?

An alternative, I’d suggest, is the roll deciding if the action does what it intended to do.

Etc, I move to slash at a guy. I roll a 18, for that – The attack lands on him, but the affect relies on what he’s wearing. If he’s wearing full-plated armor, perhaps it doesn’t avail to much and if he’s just wearing a shirt – it lands a severe injury.

Just my thoughts.