Discussion Thread: A Quantified Mana System for Magics/Creatures/Feats

IsaaKc

What the title says. I hear this thrown around quite often: should quantified mana/power systems be implemented in Magics and nonmundane lore applications? This isn’t a post that shills for either side, but rather a place to discuss the pros and cons of such an idea. Consider the following questions:

- Does the implementation of quantified Mana/power system limit creativity?

- Would the implementation of a quantified Mana/power system reduce powergaming?

- Is the implementation of something akin to this not worth the hassle/work?

Please keep the thread civil, I don’t wanna have it locked B^)

edit: grammar in title

Edited by CaesarTheFirst

Sure it would reduce powergaming, but for what it’s worth in prevention, is not worth how it would murder creativity imo and wouldn’t be worth the hassle, nor would it be able to be kept up to date, much like the old tier system of magics was, every time someone used a magic they just said it was T5 and because nobody could keep track of everyone’s chosen tiered magic, so everyone had T5 in whatever they want anyway, so they eventually just changed to to make it so.

I share Z3m0s’ sentiments, and I feel a quantified mana system would simplify magic CRP to something more akin to the standardized mechanics we see in games or DnD – as much as it may alleviate powergaming issues, it’s not worth deviating from the authenticity of freefrom rp. Just my 2 cents.

magic is kind of lame lets be real here

On 10/11/2020 at 7:08 AM, Etan said:

magic is kind of lame lets be real here

based?