100 members have voted

1. 1. Dungeon Concept? Yes, No, Amount?

• Yes: 1 Dungeon
    • Yes: 2 Dungeons
    • Yes: 3 Dungeons
    • Yes: 4 Dungeons
    • No

MORE DUNGEONS FOR THE DUNGEON GOD

Dungeons have always been an interest of the community but they were always badly implemented ever since 2011, running a dungeon as ST once or twice is fine but once it’s the 20thtime, you don’t have the interest and passion to do a good one, it clearly needs a lot more organization than you think, plugins won’t work either.

I’m really into dungeons, although it’s a fairly generalized term by now, which only proves how versatile it is as a medium for events!
The premium mineman dungeon crawling experience on LotC is quite a special one!

I have some thoughts but most of it has been said already so I’ll put it in spoilers.

Spoiler

In my time as an actor/builder I’ve made a dozen ‘dungeon crawl’ type events & built a dungeon to find out what best suits the experience that players seek.

What’s noticable is that, usually when the dungeon is relatively unknown or has no questhook attached, only a small amount of players will actually attempt to run it, however the one’s that do are usually very dedicated in ‘clearing’ the dungeon, making it less replayable for their group. 

Another thing that’s helpful is having many points of interests to investigate before and after the dungeon crawl and obstacles that can be either overcome with time & effort, or be solved through quirky solutions.

Realistically you could have the same quests for different groups while still keeping the dungeon experience fresh. It mostly depends on the storyline and the pacing of the ST Member & the group running said dungeon.

The only thing I see troublesome is dungeons for 30+ players, simply because they will start to clutter at every corner, rush to the next interesting thing and get secluded before you can describe a proper encounter, although with a good build and incorporating PvE (Not the spawn in a dozens mobs kind) & jumpquests with mechanical puzzles, large scale dungeon raids could be possible!

Personally I’ve found the dungeon themed events the most enjoyable, especially now where I could design own instances and tweak them on the run to suit the narrative. 

My bet would be to have a cycle of 8 to 16 Dungeons  or have 4 Dungeons with many instances to get the best replayability & time between adjusting the builds / adjusting the storyline

Tl;dr: More than 4 Dungeons, or 4 each with 8-16 different ‘storyline-loops’, multi-layered builds to make a good dungeon with lots of instances which need to incorporate Jumpquests, puzzles and interesting PvE encounters, OOC timers to keep replayablity high & ST burnout low. 

Do I see a ‘Story-Dungeons Sect’ forming? Count me in!

Probably the biggest issue I see with this would be ensuring quality matches with the quantity.

I don’t know if they’re still popular, but something that used to be really common with minecraft back in the day was downloading pre-made maps that were edited and designed for players to accomplish a specific task. They ranged from really simple “survival island” type maps to really complex story based maps like “ Professor Grizwald and the Curse of the Pyramid” (a 1.1 map pack from 2011, super fun I recommend) or “The Curse of Sunny Springs” (also 1.1). They had really cool dungeons and such and were extremely fun. But, they’re really complicated, and while I have no doubt the build team could make really cool dungeons and the lore team could write really good plots with them, I don’t think the story team as a whole has the manpower to pump out high quality dungeons regularly. I foresee some really small, fairly easy dungeons being mass produced that drop in quality as time goes on.

You’d make a few really good small dungeons, players would beat them, then other players would start helping others cheat, and what once was a fun, cool idea becomes a chore to deal with as a story member, just like how nodes became. Then people would complain about not getting any new dungeons, and st would get burnt out.

Instead of creating four dungeons for players to complete and be repeatable and such, I think it would be more worthwhile to put your effort into making one really good dungeon with a good plot that offers puzzles, mobs to fight, maybe some ET creatures to fight, etc, and just leaving it at that for a month. After the month, collect some feedback, and do it again in the future.

Having multiple small dungeons that are designed to be repeatable that you’ll need to replace consistently sounds less worthwhile than hosting one really good dungeon every few months or so. It’ll give ST a break in between dungeons, it’ll keep the playerbase having fun while also keeping them from being burnt out and complaining, and maybe after a dungeon has been completed and you have to eventually take it down, perhaps you could convert it to a map pack for players to download and be able to play with on their own in their own worlds. That’d be really cool imo. You could even make them seasonal with appropriate themes, such as halloween, christmas, etc.

Just my two cents. As long as y’all have fun making them, though, I’m sure at least a fairly good amount of players will enjoy them. 

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.