Discussion — Void Magic Fatigue and Connection

Sorcerio

Which system of Void Magic fatigue and connection do you prefer?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which system of Void Magic fatigue and connection do you prefer?

• Sour_Doh's Void-Weakness Piece
    • Toxcat's Voidal Connection Piece
    • Other

5 minutes ago, Archipelego said:

if we simply remove the void and replace it with a better neutral lotc baseline magic system, we would not be in this situation

void is based. people just don’t like consequences. 

2 minutes ago, Jentos said:

void is based. people just don’t like consequences. 

This. Voidal Magic has gradually declined into being a mostly entry level Magic that just serves to give players an introduction to how Magic and non-mundane feats work on LotC. As a result, the theme of Voidal Magic being a detrimental force to the user and wellbeing of the world has faded away and become unbeknownst to newer Mages who entered the community anywhere past the release of the Lore Games Void Project.

18 minutes ago, Archipelego said:

if we simply remove the void and replace it with a better neutral lotc baseline magic system, we would not be in this situation

Yes, return to rune.

1 hour ago, Archipelego said:

56 minutes ago, CaesarTheFirst said:

This. Voidal Magic has gradually declined into being a mostly entry level Magic that just serves to give players an introduction to how Magic and non-mundane feats work on LotC. As a result, the theme of Voidal Magic being a detrimental force to the user and wellbeing of the world has faded away and become unbeknownst to newer Mages who entered the community anywhere past the release of the Lore Games Void Project.

Phil’s system of voidal connection is far more decisive in serving it’s purpose in that becoming a mage is a dedication one must invest in with its own, tangible consequences. Now this is not to say Tox’s system doesn’t do the same, but only to a conservative extent which doesn’t really do justice to acknowledging the side-effects of the Void, i.e. Voidal Weakness. I feel that the idea of voidal weakness as described in Phil’s voidal connection lore is also more congruous with the picture we already have in existing IRP narratives and perceptions regarding the Void, and the general consensus that to practise magic, you must sacrifice something in return – a clear picture of equivalent exchange we don’t necessarily see in the current lore. 

I completely agree with @CaesarTheFirst on the matter of Void magic declining into under-valued, “tool magic” as I like to call it, and restoring the idea that the void is inherently an entropic force that inflicts an irrevocable cost upon the user will be a step in the right direction to even hope to resolving this issue. 

Distinguish mages, and give Void magic the flavour it needs.

Give me Phil or give me death.

Turn voidal evocation magic into a magic that just centers around forming spells that originate from manipulating the mana the soul expels itself rather than having to pact with any outside force.

“Fire behaves this way, with enough study, I can learn how to manipulate my mana to form the same properties as fire.”

Removing the void from the basic evocations sounds much more easy to understand for an entry level mage to grasp and understand. After removing the entry level spells from the void, you have more freedom to turn the void into a proper lovecraftian source for magic that many people on the server desire. 

Having to manipulate your mana at its source to produce spells makes more sense for the degradation we used to see in voidal mages as well imo. All in all, it just sounds so much simpler. 

source.gif

6 hours ago, Luv said:

source.gif

Wholesome

Lel Can't believe people think the Void was originally a destructive force of entropy and not just an excuse of a source for arcane magics. 

It was just a neutral source, then became lovecraft cosmic horror, and seems to be going back again? Regardless, it's a sign of how indecisive void lore is when choosing its theming. 

personally i’d prefer it if the lt could redo the system and, instead of letting one big lore daddy write it, form a diversified team so that it isn’t defined by one person’s view of the void-- because really, that’s where the problem originates. everyone has their own vision for what the void should be like, you can even see it in this thread.

imo, neither one of these iterations would be decisively better than the other. i don’t like how tox’s rewrite forces this weird headache after connection is severed, and that it doesn’t let you cast with your hands bound, but i also dislike the fact that phil’s practically forces the ‘you’re weak and helpless in melee’ concept because, despite how unpopular the concept seems to be, i enjoy playing a mage who can incorporate their spells into melee combat.

tldr neither rewrite is perfect, create a new one and dont let one person make it

2 hours ago, Ducklingator said:

personally i’d prefer it if the lt could redo the system and, instead of letting one big lore daddy write it, form a diversified team so that it isn’t defined by one person’s view of the void-- because really, that’s where the problem originates. everyone has their own vision for what the void should be like, you can even see it in this thread.

imo, neither one of these iterations would be decisively better than the other. i don’t like how tox’s rewrite forces this weird headache after connection is severed, and that it doesn’t let you cast with your hands bound, but i also dislike the fact that phil’s practically forces the ‘you’re weak and helpless in melee’ concept because, despite how unpopular the concept seems to be, i enjoy playing a mage who can incorporate their spells into melee combat.

tldr neither rewrite is perfect, create a new one and dont let one person make it

Tox’s system is more limiting than Phil’s. Although it highlights weakness, you’re still capable of wearing half-plate armor and casting simultaneously. Tox’s bars off armor as an option entirely while casting. Phil has also clarified several times that Mages were never suppose to be starved children, but just weaker than the average warrior by a noticeable interval.