Canons of Conduct, 343ES

Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska

CANONS OF CONDUCT 343E.S.

XmSWpdtXo6sZSUzNSyJ5GkOiUoNfpeExm0-4B8d74_bXslobNS8MBzx7owHnXMJ4UVwF16YN0ACbazIqoXwtqLrYnRcWDnPwtPkJdRCJtzXq6HeztQsSzVvuaOGNfRaQhOUsQRxv

By

Sigmar Joren Baruch & Reza B. Gynsburg

Dronna and Groba | 343E.S.

Preface

In order to ensure the infallibility and the Judicial impartiality of the courts of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, the Canons of Conduct shall be adopted to hold accountable those who take on the role of Jovenaar. The Canons of Conduct are a binding obligation entrusted and upheld by all magistrates as they preside over the courts of law. Violation of the Canons of Conduct are a breach of the sacred trust and shall result in the removal of Jovenaar whose disposition presents a conflict of interest in the dispensation of equal justice.

A Jovenaar shall take the following oath:

"I, __, do solemnly affirm that I will administer justice under the Crown without respect to persons, and do equal right to all, and that I will impartially perform all the duties incumbent upon me as Jovenaar, according to the best of my abilities and understanding, faithfully to the Haurul Caezk. So help me Godan."

Upon affirming the oath, the Jovenaar must adhere to the following Canons of Conduct as the binding code incumbent upon their duties by the law.

I: A Jovenaar shall uphold the integrity and shall solely be beholden to the law and the Crown.

II: A Jovenaar shall avoid all forms of impropriety or perceptions of improprieties in all activities.

III: A Jovenaar shall perform their office diligently, fairly, and impartially.

IV: A Jovenaar may engage in extrajudicial activities that are consistent with the obligations of judicial office

V: A Jovenaar should refrain from political activity or any public stances that may compromise their neutrality as an unbiased magistrate of the law.

I: A Jovenaar shall uphold the integrity shall solely be beholden to the law and the Crown.”

Commentary

The role of the Jovenaar is held with high regard for the application and interpretation of the Haurul Caezk. As such, the public trust and the authority of the Crown is vested in the courts with the Jovenaar as the presiding official that adjudicates the law as prescribed. The importance of being beholden to the law and the Crown, for which the law derives, is paramount. This canon affirms that no conflict or fear of bias may tarnish the integrity of justice. The rule of law maintains its primacy through the court and the Jovenaar’s judgment.

II: A Jovenaar shall avoid all forms of impropriety or perceptions of improprieties in all activities.”

Commentary

An appearance of impropriety occurs if reasonable minds conclude that the Jovenaar’s integrity, honesty, impartiality, or fitness to serve is impaired. The Crown and public confidence should remain steadfast should not be eroded by misconduct or irresponsibility. A Jovenaar is subject to public scrutiny and should willingly accept the restrictions of the office that would be burdensome to ordinary denizens. A Jovenaar should also avoid using the judicial office to advance his private interests of himself or others.

III: A Jovenaar shall perform their office diligently, fairly, and impartially.”

Commentary

A Jovenaar should remain faithful, and maintain professional competence in the law and should not be swayed by partisan interest, public clamor, or fear of criticism. Jovenaars should hear and decide matters designated to him and should order and decorum in all judicial proceedings to the best of his ability. He should be courteous to litigants, witnesses, and solicitors and others with whom he deals with in an official capacity. He should accord to every person the full right to be heard according to the law.

IV: A Jovenaar may engage in extrajudicial activities that are consistent with the obligations of judicial office.”

Commentary

A Jovenaar may participate in the public life and private life appropriate to their station as interpreters of the law. A Jovenaar should continue to promote the rule of law through education, lectures, and speaking events as a way to make visible the importance of the judicial process. They may also participate in public discourse before legislative and royal events particularly invited to them in their official capacity as magistrates. They may also participate in religious and philanthropic gatherings consistent to their personal and public obligations of human welfare.

V: A Jovenaar should refrain from political activity or any public stances that may compromise their neutrality as an unbiased magistrate of the law.”

Commentary

Since a Jovenaar is charged with the unbiased application of the law in all trials, it is vital that he be impartial in public discourse. No matter the outcome of political events, the Jovenaar interprets and applies the Haurul Caezk without respect to persons and without regard for preferential treatment to those with whom he agrees. Demonstrating excessive public support in political activity diminishes the Jovenaar’s image to the litigants that he is meant to dispense impartial justice. Moreover, a Jovenaar should not be expressing political views since these points of contention may potentially come before him in a trial.

IV JOVEO MAAN,

His Royal Majesty Josef I by the Grace of Godan, Koeng of Hanseti and Ruska, Grand Hetman of the Army, Prince of Bihar, Dules, Ulgaard, Lahy, Sorbesborg and Slesvik, Duke of Carnatia and Vidaus, Margrave of Rothswald, Count of Graiswald, Karikhov, Baranya, Kvasz, Kavat, Karovia, Kovachgrad, Torun, Turov, Kaunas, Alban, Reza and Markev, Baron of Rytsburg, Venzia, Esenstadt, Krepost and Kralta, Lord of the Westfolk, Protector of the Highlanders, etcetera.

Edited by Kingdom of Haense