Application - some observations from a newbie

Tirrin

Dear staff,

I thought it might be helpful to give you a feed-back to the application form as long as I still remember where I struggled. Maybe I’m just a bit dump and others do better, but I’m sure, that there are other newbies as green as I am.

I do have read a lot on the forum beforehand, all the stuff for newbies in the hub etc, I do have applied for other servers, but nevertheless poor Demon_Lilly had a hard time with me. ( Lilly  🥰 )

General:
Age:  Though the admins have to ask for the age - could that not be hidden to the public?  Of course, everybody can post a fake age, but I have a bad feeling doing so.

Character:

It would be nice, if ‘divers’ would be an extra option. Just to do justice to this minority.

Physical description etc

Please mention, that there is a character limit . Of course, summarise tells you, that you should, well summarise, but on the other hand you are told to add something about ‘attire, eyes and hair colour, body-build, height, weight, and so on’.  You could write a lot about your looks - I did, just to discover, that it was in vain…

Mention, that this and the next paragraphs are for your persona card  and what that is. ( The search function did’t find a lot, when I used it.)

The scenario:

Please make it clear, that you should write it as if you were in-game! No longer dialogs, (‘and at least one piece of dialogue surrounded by quotes’ is misleading), where this well-dressed man also answers. But that those answers have to come from you only. I though in the beginning, that I should write just a little piece of prose.

Character skin:

Please mention, that skins where noise is used for colouring are not allowed.

That’s all 🙂

Thanks!

~Tirrin~

PS: A spellcheck on the forum would be very nice…not to mention in-game   😉

Most of the stuff in here is “fair enough”, that’s Community Team’s territory. My only concern is the first one.

31 minutes ago, Tirrin said:

Age:  Though the admins have to ask for the age - could that not be hidden to the public?  Of course, everybody can post a fake age, but I have a bad feeling doing so.

This does not only affect staff members. Some players refer to applications to gauge the maturity of a player so that they know not to subject them to impressionable material or make crude jokes. If you’re posting a fake age, it’s likely you’re not old enough to be playing on the server. I go by the age-old saying, if you feel bad it’s probably for a reason. The age requirement exists to keep people safe and to make sure that a standard level of maturity is reached.

Well, in my case maturity should not be the problem, but I’m always worried to be put in a box.

How is typing your age putting you into a box?

If your under thirteen your shouldn’t be on the server. I can understand not letting other see your age if your a minior or not. Some people are age conscious.  That might be doable by putting in a spolier. But a lot of people check applications to grab players and see how they may approach. Everything else is CT’s job. Though if you still have your long desp  I’m very sorry it is a big big sad for the limit. But in game you can sometimes go over it with a command. 

Because  prejudice, be it conscious or not often determines how you see another person. It doesn’t have to be necessarily negative, but you look differently at somebody who is your age, younger or a fair amount older than you. You act differently. Maybe I don’t just want to stand out of the crowd but treated like anybody else.

I think, the age of a player should not determine how I interact with him.   

Ageism

I don’t know how to put this lightly,

It’s not ageism to not want to do some kinda of roleplay with minors, be that particularly violent, romantic, or just generally dealing with heavier themes. 

Are you doing this roleplay then in shielded areas? Or how do you prevent minors to experience such themes? Anything what goes past ‘romantic’ is forbittten anyway on the server and what do you understand under ‘particularly violent’ what a young person does not encounter anyway in RL every day if he is interested in the news? I would propose to better avoid it here.

Wouldn’t it be easier then to flag them somehow, so that you can see this ingame? Or let the age be shown in the application only if a player is under 16 or 18. 

An option would be, to make putting your name in optional but ask the minors to provide it.

Edited by Tirrin

Heya, as a Community Team member I want to comment on this. (Sorry I am this late, I just saw this)

On 10/18/2020 at 12:49 PM, Tirrin said:

As stated a bit above, age is needed to confirm if a player is indeed at least thirteen years old. When reviewing applications the team also looks at the age, and then at the application  to see if it matches. Of course there are exceptions, however if someone is under thirteen and lying about their age, it mostly is easy to see. 

It would be nice, if ‘divers’ would be an extra option. Just to do justice to this minority.

This is a topic I will talk with the team about to see what we can do!

Please mention, that there is a character limit . Of course, summarise tells you, that you should, well summarise, but on the other hand you are told to add something about ‘attire, eyes and hair colour, body-build, height, weight, and so on’.  You could write a lot about your looks - I did, just to discover, that it was in vain…

Mention, that this and the next paragraphs are for your persona card  and what that is. ( The search function did’t find a lot, when I used it.)

The description of the question gives examples to use if you can’t think of anything, there is no need in using all of these examples. Also indeed the limit is there because it transfers to in-game. This sadly is not something we can change as it is a Minecraft limit. 

Please make it clear, that you should write it as if you were in-game! No longer dialogs, (‘and at least one piece of dialogue surrounded by quotes’ is misleading), where this well-dressed man also answers. But that those answers have to come from you only. I though in the beginning, that I should write just a little piece of prose.

The dialogs are what is being used in game, if you emote and talk in the same line you use “ to put your speach between. Also this piece is up to the creativity of the applicant, you are allowed to awnser only from your persona, but you also are allowed to type out a little conversation. 

Please mention, that skins where noise is used for colouring are not allowed.

This is mostly just about skin quality. If you look at the skin archive none of the skins are using noise shading as it is not up to server standards. 

I hope this response explains your topics, and if you have any further questions, concerns or anything more to add you can reply either to this post or DM me on discord! (snoopie12#8195)