[Completed]Homophobia and Hate within Roleplay

Jentos

To be honest, I don't know why this is being debated. In my opinion it's pretty cut and dry, but that doesn't necessarily have to be shared by everyone.

Yes, it has its place in role-playing, to an extent.

Its a simple concept yet becomes blurry. Certain aspects that may be considered homophobic (i/e killing of homosexuals due to canonism) or racist (killing other races such as Kha or my personal favorite wonks) certainly belongs. This is literally what happened in medieval times, and what has happened on the server for years. As to the extent of people in roleplay treating those of other races or sexualities in roleplay, there is a line. Usage of common sense, and staying within what would be realistic. I disagree with the usage of slurs within roleplay, but generally roleplay at a base level against homosexuals or other races in game is fine and should remain fine.

The question then becomes where the line is- where is it taken too far. In my opinion, that line is drawn when the behavior becomes personal, ooc based, or the usage of slurs is a frequent occurrence. In roleplay there are ways for characters to be homophobes or racists without integrating irl aspects of the behavior. As well as that, there is the content of the emotes. My character has said plenty of times in roleplay jokingly or whatnot that they plan on "committing war crimes against the wonks." That, for all extensive purposes, is fine. However, and I'm fine with admitting this, I HAVE received bans for emotes made whilst playing as Ser Wakendi (this buff African American skin). I would run around, jokingly emote making monkey noises, etc. (At the time I was a heavy memer / shitposter, I apologize for this and no in way was it indicative of my irl values). These emotes, and other pointed behavior that is over the top when rping regarding a homosexual or character of another race, is where the line is. I myself have been punished for it.

We need to learn to accept certain aspects of issues instead of seeking to remove them entirely. In the most blunt way possible, if you are upset that your Kha got killed by people for being a Kha, or upset your character was killed or kicked out of their community for being homosexual, then don't roleplay as such, or if you do, understand the risks and react accordingly. Places like Sutica are very accepting in roleplay. However, once taken across the unseen line, that is where the issues arises.

Tbh I don’t really have a position in this debate but I find it funny how people have either accidentally revealed their homophobia or outright confirmed it. Also the argument that it’s unfair is homosexuality is roleplayed but homophobia isn’t and it’s not inclusive unless you tolerate homophobia is the shittest argument ever Lmfao. Can’t believe you literally played the “how dare you be intolerant to my intolerance!” Or bring up 21st century morals and values lol.

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.