[Completed]Homophobia and Hate within Roleplay

Jentos

damn can we just let people be gay in peace

if it bothers you, don’t engage in RP with gay chars

if you’re going out of your way to harass gay characters, then... idk man. i think that’s weird.

In-character homophobia as a by-product of cultural or religious laws seems acceptable to me. The issue arises when what should be a minor in-character ruling of a belief, instead becomes a major aspect of the roleplay (or its niche). A hard in-character push of that agenda should be both avoided and discouraged, because it then becomes an outlet for genuine homophobes to express their beliefs under a veil of ‘being in-character’.

All in all, it’s just a matter that should be treated carefully and with respect to fellow LoTCers. Homophobia can cut very deep to some, and upset may still be justifiably caused despite no obvious OOC motivator.

People still fail to realize RP is not OOC. While sure, going out of the way to harass characters that are homosexual can be seen as targeting. But for someone to just RP not liking an individual because the CHARACTER is homophobic is okay. You can ask if homophobia belongs, but at the same standard does homosexuality belong? The point being, you can’t ask someone to not RP being homophobic without also allowing them to ask not RPing being gay. 

2 minutes ago, Wretched said:

All in all, it’s just matter that should be treated carefully and with respect to fellow LoTCers. Homophobia can cut very deep to some, and upset may still be justifiably caused despite no obvious OOC motivator.

I think you offer a very insightful opinion here! I starkly believe that we should try to achieve a sort of middle ground to avoid blotting out any potential roleplay, while trying to remain respectful. 

As a bisexual I dont really care, let them try and be homophobic my char will just keep on ftbing with twinks.

All problems fall to the wayside when you treat the person in front of you with kindness and respect. There are other situations in roleplay (such as extreme conflict) where it can render other players uncomfortable, too. In either case, you should be accommodating out of character and ensure that the roleplay is staying in character. Stop the roleplay if the other person is genuinely bothered out of character. Full stop, it isn’t worth it.

Lots of players don’t do this. I don’t buy the “realism” argument when these same people can be seen shouting the same slurs out of character in private Discords to anyone that’ll give them the time of day. I can accept racial tension in a fantasy setting. Root out everyone else who hides behind characters to play out racist fantasies.

Edit: Matt makes great points above me. Roleplay is great when it is contained to roleplay. However, it feel it’s everyone’s duty to make sure those two worlds are separate.

11 minutes ago, Malaise said:

Please, please God, make it end. The inane fear of role-play. The asinine hatred of conflict. The escapist pipe dreams of a perfect world, here on this Minecraft server.

We, each and every one of us, are on a role-play server. That means we are supposed to insert ourselves into the role of a fictional character and act out their lives – every part of it. If your character is homosexual, they are homosexual. If your character is homophobic, they are homophobic. If your character identifies as a female but was born a biological male, if your character has no sexual urges whatsoever, if your character is bisexual, etc. etc. etc.

You do what they would do. That is what role-play is. It is all role-playing has ever been. You make the script. You make the decisions. You act on the outcomes. We are role-playing. I pray anybody keeping their eyes on this thread reads this comment and commits it to memory. It is not unethical to be homophobic in role-play. It is not unethical to commit violence upon homosexual characters. It is not unethical to despise the very notion of love itself. These are real character traits and our world is not a safe one. It never has been. Nearly every single event hosted on Lord of the Craft will involve in some way or form: death, misfortune, and suffering.

What difference does it make to your character, who is homosexual, whether you are killed by an angry clergyman who is homophobic, or a roving band of demons that wish to devour your soul? You are harassed by both and must act accordingly as a result. The difference between these two situations lies in the reality of one and the fantasy of another. You should be prepared for homophobia. You should not be prepared for a demon attack. The former hates you for who you are. The latter wishes to consume your soul and annihilate your world. The demons are the worse enemy – not the offender in holy vestments.

This is a role-play server. It will never be anything else. Homophobia should always be a facet of our universe and will never cease to be. The second it leaves our universe and spills into OOC, it is a problem, and one that will be fixed quickly if addressed through the proper channels. Do not make yourselves out to be the weak, ineffectual role-players that crying about adversity in-character will make you. 

basically this

Just be tasteful with it and use terms and conclusions that you would be able to make IC with the various cultures, religions and aspects of the server to keep it as accurate to the lotc ‘world’ as possible.

Just don’t start calling people f****** in the middle of streets because you’re like “ur gay lol”. It’s that fine line that needs to be respected, but everything Malaise says is perfectly right

Malaise put it very well, be an ass in rp, and not ooc, that's basically it. No reason to draw arbitrary lines in the sand for what is and what isn't feasible. 

im gay and roleplay a conservative nun its chill if you have an in-character basis for that resentment/antiquated ideals such as culture or certain trauma.. what isn’t okay is projecting irl hatred unto others; there’s a discernable difference and very fine line