[Completed]Homophobia and Hate within Roleplay

Jentos

Pretty much what Malaise said. If you’re going to be a ****, do it within the bounds of the universe in which Lord of the Craft is set in. It only becomes a problem once biases make themselves into the mainstream OOC, or all little circles, outside of an RP medium; and it is then, that we must draw the line.

15 hours ago, Malaise said:

Please, please God, make it end. The inane fear of role-play. The asinine hatred of conflict. The escapist pipe dreams of a perfect world, here on this Minecraft server.

We, each and every one of us, are on a role-play server. That means we are supposed to insert ourselves into the role of a fictional character and act out their lives – every part of it. If your character is homosexual, they are homosexual. If your character is homophobic, they are homophobic. If your character identifies as a female but was born a biological male, if your character has no sexual urges whatsoever, if your character is bisexual, etc. etc. etc.

You do what they would do. That is what role-play is. It is all role-playing has ever been. You make the script. You make the decisions. You act on the outcomes. We are role-playing. I pray anybody keeping their eyes on this thread reads this comment and commits it to memory. It is not unethical to be homophobic in role-play. It is not unethical to commit violence upon homosexual characters. It is not unethical to despise the very notion of love itself. These are real character traits and our world is not a safe one. It never has been. Nearly every single event hosted on Lord of the Craft will involve in some way or form: death, misfortune, and suffering.

What difference does it make to your character, who is homosexual, whether you are killed by an angry clergyman who is homophobic, or a roving band of demons that wish to devour your soul? You are harassed by both and must act accordingly as a result. The difference between these two situations lies in the reality of one and the fantasy of another. You should be prepared for homophobia. You should not be prepared for a demon attack. The former hates you for who you are. The latter wishes to consume your soul and annihilate your world. The demons are the worse enemy – not the offender in holy vestments.

This is a role-play server. It will never be anything else. Homophobia should always be a facet of our universe and will never cease to be. The second it leaves our universe and spills into OOC, it is a problem, and one that will be fixed quickly if addressed through the proper channels. Do not make yourselves out to be the weak, ineffectual role-players that crying about adversity in-character will make you. 

giphy.gif

This. Up. Above. Is. 100%. Well said my good sir.

Also to all those crying for “justice” out there, it’s rp.

Don’t be a fkin wimp ig and irl. Be gey, do homosex rp or do not be gey and do not do homosex rp what does it matter, just don’t complain about things ooc because you’re upset about little Friar Tuck calling you a buttmuncher or other names then yeets you into a pyre, that just ruins the experience for everyone if you whine about things that in the end nobody really gives a **** about because it’s pixels on a screen, also things people online don’t give a cent about... aka those being your feelings.  While I would love to hold you all in a special place within my heart and tell you everything will be safe, truth is y’all are just people I don’t really know and never will, this goes for everyone else as well, we’re all just people on devices playing a game, not like really near and dear friends or family. You never will be. Period. Y’all can hop in VC’s and act all buddy buddy but if you need someone to support your personal beliefs and comfort you because you’re sad oocly.... Get those outlets/friends in IRL, if you want people to care about your complaining or social activism. Nobody wants to hear complaining all day about ‘IM BEING CALLED NAMES IN ROLEPLAY’, that’s how you’ll end up divorced and single for the rest of your life with that attitude and outlook on things Karen. 

Okay. Cool. Sorry? Or am I? Idk anymore I’m a boomer, I’ve been on this server since I was like 10 bruh, I need to leave anyway, perhaps whining about roleplay will drive me to it this time.

29Yp.gif

This being said, irl and on here I have several amigos who are gay or LGBTQIA+ so just don’t let me catch you leaking anything in RP to an OOC setting or we’ll have some words. Ain’t nobody gonna disrespect my gay homies ON GAWD because I’ll hunt ye down like a tickhound does a squirrel.

Edited by _Sug

Hi! So I really wasn’t sure how this thread was going to turn out, but I’m relatively very satisfied with many of the comments we have here, and they allow us to each draw our own conclusions. I’d also like to felicitate @Malaise for his answer on the topic which seems to have pleased the community as well as myself despite being “cringe” to others, and I would urge everyone to not take comments on here personally, to refrain from name-calling, and to keep the Lord of the Cringe toxicity low. 

Matts answer can be summed up like this:

Can’t be bothered by homophobic personas if you only play women.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-ro

@_Sug ily king 🥰

10 hours ago, Legoboy7984 said:

Don’t think people are homophobic OOCly it’s just RP.

Are we not in the same discord servers?

some of the most homophobic people oocly have commented on this post and i just find it so funny you just come to double back like some saint. don’t be dropping your comments like you’re some enlightened individual now that the subject is being talked about. 

20 hours ago, Anisiya said:

im gay and roleplay a conservative nun its chill if you have an in-character basis for that resentment/antiquated ideals such as culture or certain trauma.. what isn’t okay is projecting irl hatred unto others; there’s a discernable difference and very fine line

p much that yeah

Placed in an ideology can be fun, it gives you the ability to make outlandish and almost comic jokes “Is that a homosex? How dare thy against GOD!” and so on, it’s only really malicious when there is a stringent use of homophobia to the point it no longer feels to be a valid representation of the roleplayed character (tl;dr difference between RPing a character within a restrictive culture than RPing a character as outlandishly homophobic for the use of projecting OOC ideals in a malicious way)

i roleplay a human who is exclusively homophobic and i spend hours of my time roleplay beating my roleplay female human wife am i doing it right

I’ll keep it simple, homophobia RP is honestly the best RP on LotC and we should not let just any old joe be a homophobe.

Only the cut and above players who have the 200 IQ necessary to completely rip homophobia on brand right out of IRL Catholicism, but also go out of their way to write pages on pages of homophobic content that’s virtually indistinguishable from IRL hate speech should be allowed to RP the god-sent immersion fulfilling necessity that is the decade long rich history of anti-gay LotC RP.

We should bring Villain Applications back and make those who want to better our server with their high quality twink-bashing rhetoric apply publicly for their genius level role-playing talent. This is because we simply don’t want just anyone to stumble into our server and think anyone can post entire manifestos of anti-xxxxxxxx content. 

No, truly the homophobic RPers are the last bastion of immersive content creators on this God-forsaken furry lib-left cesspool of identity obsessed narcissists who can’t seem to understand that this isn’t the real world so that’s why I have to treat them the way I think the real world does to them, just like I should in a fake world about fake lives. Otherwise, what might we think, that I was a f*cking bleeding heart moron unwilling to literally mimic the top-tier roleplay strategy of acting like a n*zi? Gosh, couldn’t be me!

Please gents, don’t ever stop bashing those gays (but in a fake way that reminds me of the real way but it’s fake because we say it’s fake)!

And remember, if you’ve ever ever ever taken RolePlay too seriously that someone beating you to death in the game for being gay somehow reminds you of real hate crimes against gay people, then you should probably just log off. You clearly don’t have the stomach for the dedicated & grueling work that is immersing each and every one of LotC’s players in a political climate virtually indistinguishable from a mid-tier reddit board. 

Godspeed fellow haters! Let’s see those VA’s return so we can do the right work of homophobia roleplay today with the polish and sheen such a smart form of make-believe deserves!

8 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

SNIP

ah a fellow man of culture 

Homophobia in a RP Scenery is acceptable in my opinion, it’s like a fantasy game such as “The Witcher” where the world is mean spirited, but we as the player know it’s a fantasy world and therefore don’t take it seriously. It gets complicated and hurtful when OOC things, get from real hate into a Minecraft Roleplay Server.

Just like playing a Villain, you should adapt to the situation and don’t cause hate, respect the players around you and you earn respect back.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, Hanrahan said:

god i love escaping from irl bigotry and social problems to fantasy bigotry and social problems

I have been in enough voice chats to know RP isn’t just RP. There is always OOC feelings mixed in. Not saying it should be done away with. I’m saying we should keep a closer eye on just how far we allow people to take it. In the end it is giving space to homophobes who find LoTC and the LGBTQ community are the ones paying the price. 

1 hour ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

I’ll keep it simple, homophobia RP is honestly the best RP on LotC and we should not let just any old joe be a homophobe.

Only the cut and above players who have the 200 IQ necessary to completely rip homophobia on brand right out of IRL Catholicism, but also go out of their way to write pages on pages of homophobic content that’s virtually indistinguishable from IRL hate speech should be allowed to RP the god-sent immersion fulfilling necessity that is the decade long rich history of anti-gay LotC RP.

We should bring Villain Applications back and make those who want to better our server with their high quality twink-bashing rhetoric apply publicly for their genius level role-playing talent. This is because we simply don’t want just anyone to stumble into our server and think anyone can post entire manifestos of anti-xxxxxxxx content. 

No, truly the homophobic RPers are the last bastion of immersive content creators on this God-forsaken furry lib-left cesspool of identity obsessed narcissists who can’t seem to understand that this isn’t the real world so that’s why I have to treat them the way I think the real world does to them, just like I should in a fake world about fake lives. Otherwise, what might we think, that I was a f*cking bleeding heart moron unwilling to literally mimic the top-tier roleplay strategy of acting like a n*zi? Gosh, couldn’t be me!

Please gents, don’t ever stop bashing those gays (but in a fake way that reminds me of the real way but it’s fake because we say it’s fake)!

And remember, if you’ve ever ever ever taken RolePlay too seriously that someone beating you to death in the game for being gay somehow reminds you of real hate crimes against gay people, then you should probably just log off. You clearly don’t have the stomach for the dedicated & grueling work that is immersing each and every one of LotC’s players in a political climate virtually indistinguishable from a mid-tier reddit board. 

Godspeed fellow haters! Let’s see those VA’s return so we can do the right work of homophobia roleplay today with the polish and sheen such a smart form of make-believe deserves!

It’s really not that deep. I’ve had people be homophobic to me in real life, I’ve seen people be homophobic in roleplay, and I’ve seen people be homophobic in roleplay in a way that is obviously motivated by real life homophobia. I have had people be homophobic to me OOCly on Discord, and I’ve seen IC forum posts that were clearly just veilled OOC homophobia. I reported the people in both cases, and action was taken.

Prejudice is a real thing, and there are plenty of good stories where it is depicted. LoTC has both tolerant and intolerant countries in which to roleplay. If you want to play a closeted person struggling with their sexuality in an intolerant country, you live in Oren or Haense or Haelun’or, depending on what you prefer. If you want to play a person who is gay in a country where it is legal but still unpopular, you go to to Norland. If you want to play a person who is gay in a place where that’s perfectly legal and acceptable, you go to Sutica. If none of those are satisfactory, you band with like-minded people and create a new settlement, just like with any other story preference. 

From what I can see, Oren at least is enjoying the roleplay of incremental social progression: women and racial minorities are acquiring new rights and becoming more important in their society, and it is fun to see the development. I am gay and I’m enjoying the roleplay surrounding MissToni’s attempts to integrate homosexuality into Canonism; I counselled her OOCly on scriptural ways to support it, and the clergy have spoken both ICly and OOCly about if such reforms are advisable, and how they are religiously possible. None of that roleplay would have been possible if IC prejudice was against the rules in all cases. Honestly, as a real life atheist, I think it would be difficult to roleplay any kind of conservative society or religion if roleplay was never allowed to resemble OOC bigotry.

I think the difference between larping Nazism and roleplaying prejudice is pretty obvious, and I also think it’s inconsiderate to imply that anyone who wants their story to involve prejudice is actually just trying to express their secret bigotry. There are people on this server who roleplay suicide, and there are people on this server who have had real-life suicide attempts. There are people who roleplay sexism and some of those people are women who have experienced sexism in real life. All subjects can be triggering to people in certain contexts. You have to draw the line somewhere, obviously: I don’t think we need to be roleplaying death camps. And no one is obliged to participate in roleplay that they don’t want to. As above, there are options for settlements with all kinds of different cultures surrounding gender, race, and sexual orientation, and you can always go into OOC and say “I’m not comfortable with this, I’d like to void it and just SS out.” But just outright banning any roleplay that resembles real-life intolerance is bad practice and bad writing IMO.

I do believe Jentos has a point here. A lot of players do project their own homophobia onto their characters. 
This does not mean there can’t be any homophobia in rp. I would consider it perfectly valid if Elven nations tried to ban homosexual relations to try and maintain their low birthrates as best as possible. This would make sense.

On the other hand, I have lately seen a lot of responses to the posts discussing Homophobia ICly, that can all be summarized as “die, degenerate homosexual”.  That’s just plain stupid. 

5cf308d70063d15ed850174f2f706494.png

Does your comment add anything to the roleplay of such a post? Then you may want to rethink posting the comment.