[Completed](Suggestion) Fast Travel

youlovesocks

Topic is the title.

I just spent 2 hours online – an hour and a half of that was spent running to 4 different cities, finding not a soul (150 ppl online), with exception to the 4 people RP’ing in Haense and 7 others running around. 

Start respecting people’s time. Lets get fast travel back in this.

Not a terrible idea. The only issue I see with it would be it’s implementation in RP.

For instance, if I caught wind (irply) that a group of bandits was about to raid my city, normally I would have time to RP rallying people to fight and getting things ready, since people would have to rally at their home base and then run/ride there. With fast travel, that time to prepare would be gone and you would just have people instantaneously showing up. Now to be fair, that’s how most raids happen anyways, but there would need to be clear stipulations to fast travel. Like, are you allowed to fast travel to a place to commit villainy RP? Are you allowed to use it to get to your raid target? What would the cool downs for fast travel be, similar to soul stone?

Again, not a terrible idea, and I 100% share the frustration of running for eons to find RP, I’m curious to see how you would implement it.

Unless you are just proposing the idea without any sort of idea on how it would work, which is cool too.

3 hours ago, CorweenieTheJedi said:

Not a terrible idea. The only issue I see with it would be it’s implementation in RP.

For instance, if I caught wind (irply) that a group of bandits was about to raid my city, normally I would have time to RP rallying people to fight and getting things ready, since people would have to rally at their home base and then run/ride there. With fast travel, that time to prepare would be gone and you would just have people instantaneously showing up. Now to be fair, that’s how most raids happen anyways, but there would need to be clear stipulations to fast travel. Like, are you allowed to fast travel to a place to commit villainy RP? Are you allowed to use it to get to your raid target? What would the cool downs for fast travel be, similar to soul stone?

Again, not a terrible idea, and I 100% share the frustration of running for eons to find RP, I’m curious to see how you would implement it.

Unless you are just proposing the idea without any sort of idea on how it would work, which is cool too.

Not in favour of fast travel, but back in Vailor it was against the rules to fast travel for a raid. 

perhaps just Fast travel that heads to certain ‘middle regions’

bd12829d46a21fa76b7a6ae7d3fa3df6.jpg

If you look at the black circles with red in them for example, having sort of ‘traveller camps’ there, it would allow players to cut across the map faster

Running from CT has a lot of winding roads, for instance running to Fenn can take 5 mins if you legit just head out of CT and then go over the mountains to the NE of it, orrrrr you could take a 20 minute walk all the way around, through two forests etc etc

Having travel camps allows players to easily cut down time while not making an Axios map (Where we just had massive travel hubs and nobody ever used the streets again except for some specific ocassions)

Travel camps that are put in the middle grounds between nation hubs (e.g. if you see in the Western spot it’s between 3 different nations and close to 2 others, and in the bottom right one it helps cut the distance to the very far out regions by half. Hell I could add one by the arch to the South west and far North East, then we can have all corners of the map as quick travel routes)

This was already taken into consideration for our next map, there is a plugin that is currently in development (though it isn't on the tech discord yet because I’ve been busy) that will allow nations to have a form of fast travel. Though, I don’t think I can say much more than that at this time.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, nickrocky213 said:

This was already taken into consideration for our next map, there is a plugin that is currently in development (though it isn't on the tech discord yet because I’ve been busy) that will allow nations to have a form of fast travel. Though, I don’t think I can say much more than that at this time.

Sorry i've been away from this thread. I've had some things going on in my personal life. LOVE to hear this -- As to the initial questions as far as how I would justify fast travel irp, the short answer would be: I wouldn't. I understand the drive to make LoTC as RP oriented and realistic as possible, and much of that is a major upside as to why this server has worked well over the years with a generally active playerbase. That being said, I think a good majority of the playerbase that has stuck around for multiple years, is getting older. We (I) don't have as much time to dedicate to the server, and have to realize while it may not make sense to have everyone teleporting around the world willy nilly, we're still playing a game to have fun - and running around not rp'ing looking for people isn't all that fun. 

This is especially true in new players. I have been gone for what seems like an entire year, so I have no clue what the map layout really is - and when roadsigns to nations seem never ending, when I eventually reach my destination, i'm left with the thought of "Wow. This place looks so dope....where the f*ck is everybody." and the 20 minute hike to the next place begins. Which is what I imagine a new player seeing the map for the first time is thinking as well. Anyways, thats my thought. I'm confident in the tech team or whoever it is to make things run a little smoother. 

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.