PSA: ADHD & Mental Health Awareness

Priceflash

MENTAL HEALTH @ LOTC  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think mental health resources should be more accessible on lordofthecraft.net?

• yes
    • no

If someone doesn't pin this, I'll use my basic ***** NL PEX to try.

1 minute ago, argonian said:

makes thread about adhd

makes it 10,000 words long

As someone who also has ADHD, I relate to this struggle, because I use 20 words for what could be described in 2. Relatable vibes. 

1 minute ago, argonian said:

makes thread about adhd

makes it 10,000 words long

Well it's important so I had to elaborate, but i did add a lot of bold and highlighting to make the most important parts easy to read.  Sorry if it was too long for your liking!

Therapy's a major help.

Major, major, major help.

Massive +1, lots of wisdom to be had here

Hey, I'm glad you chose to post it price. We might not be medical experts but we can try to help in our own ways. Thanks.

So I don't know what lotc can really do to help people make that first step. Like I understand these are issues which affect a lot of the playerbase, given the age demographic, so it's really important to make use of the platform, but I guess I don't know how to begin putting a plan like that together.

Ironically I am having trouble knowing where to start with a project like that. Save perhaps, having a page which links to various websites/resources I guess.

I think it wouldn’t hurt to share awareness and maybe even have a spot on the forums with resources, but aside from that I don’t see what more LoTC can do. I’ve had my own share of mental health struggles, as I’m sure plenty of others have had, and because of that I think nothing further can be done. If people want to share their story, they are welcome to, but at the same time we shouldn’t create an expectation that lotc is an end-all-be-all for mental health, and create this expectation in the community to speak on mental health because not everyone is necessarily comfortable with that (for their own, valid reasons). Nonetheless, this is in no way meant to diss you or put words in your mouth, as I find it extremely respectable that you made a post on this to begin with, this is just my take on the issue.

7 minutes ago, devvy said:

I think it wouldn’t hurt to share awareness and maybe even have a spot on the forums with resources, but aside from that I don’t see what more LoTC can do. I’ve had my own share of mental health struggles, as I’m sure plenty of others have had, and because of that I think nothing further can be done. If people want to share their story, they are welcome to, but at the same time we shouldn’t create an expectation that lotc is an end-all-be-all for mental health, and create this expectation in the community to speak on mental health because not everyone is necessarily comfortable with that (for their own, valid reasons). Nonetheless, this is in no way meant to diss you or put words in your mouth, as I find it extremely respectable that you made a post on this to begin with, this is just my take on the issue.

Well, my point is that that it should do SOMETHING, honestly. LoTC should not be trying to cure or fix anyone, but it honestly is in a great position to distribute/make available resources, and spread awareness.. And I'm not saying let's all spill our problems, or that people that are uncomfortable with mental health should be forced to do anything, not at all. Nobody should be forced to speak on mental health if they don't want to.

I personally spoke on my mental health because I believed there was at least one LoTC user who could benefit from it, and even if there isn't it's a chance I'm willing to take. I don't think by posting it there is any expectation or creation of an expectation to share anyones own mental health, but i think there is a creation of a more accepting atmosphere where someone might feel like they're not alone in whatever they're going through, and awareness of mental health issues. And i think the same would go for any action taken by lotc itself if it chose to go that route.

And, for myself, I literally was unaware that I even had a mental illness honestly till I was well out of highschool. Like, I made it through that system somehow but then i realized i was fucked, so that's why I think awareness is especially important, especially considering lotc users are usually under 18. If i was aware and sought help (or if anyone around me awoke me), the vast majority of my prior problems wouldnt even exist. Period. Which is another reason why I chose to speak today.

I also realize that those with mental illness may chose not to seek treatment and I respect that -- i understand that actual real useful resources are often ignored etc but i think that being reminded that you can get help is always nice. 

I see where you're coming from though, I appreciate and respect your willingess to respond at all.

I can also strongly relate to this. I have certainly had my own experiences with mental health in the past few years; and even with the pandemic and all the struggling the world is going through, it's very easy for us to become depressed and lethargic. My story with mental health isn't one I'll share here, but I will say it definitely gave me greater perspective of those who struggle from it that I would not have had otherwise. In my own experience, mental health is a very fragile thing, and it can quickly shift a huge part of your life, often to the point where you feel crushed and defeated. 

That said, I do not believe that mental health resources should be openly offered on the sever or its behalf, for as much sympathy and aid we might have to offer, peer support will never be an effective substitute for professional counsel. While opening yourself to talk, or offering words of consolation are certainly nice gestures (and yes, I'm guilty of this as well), those who don't have the proper experience in treating mental health may inadvertently make things worse, especially in more severe and delicate situations, which is the opposite of what we are ultimately seeking to do.

Don't get me wrong, we as a community should absolutely be mindful and aware of the difficulties poor mental health can bring, especially when we interact with those individuals who are indeed suffering from such, but at the end of the day, a trained psychologist will always be what's best for them.

I still think it's incredibly brave of you to speak your mind on this and open up about your own struggles. Thank you for that. 

3 minutes ago, Sorcerio said:

I can also strongly relate to this. I have certainly had my own experiences with mental health in the past few years; and even with the pandemic and all the struggling the world is going through, it's very easy for us to become depressed and lethargic. My story with mental health isn't one I'll share here, but I will say it definitely gave me greater perspective of those who struggle from it that I would not have had otherwise. In my own experience, mental health is a very fragile thing, and it can quickly shift a huge part of your life, often to the point where you feel crushed and defeated. 

That said, I do not believe that mental health resources should be openly offered on the sever or its behalf, for as much sympathy and aid we might have to offer, peer support will never be an effective substitute for professional counsel. While opening yourself to talk is certainly a nice gesture (yes, I'm guilty of this as well), those who don't have the proper experience in treating mental health may inadvertently make things worse, especially in more severe and delicate situations, which is the opposite of what we are ultimately seeking to do.

Don't get me wrong, we as a community should absolutely be mindful and aware of the difficulties poor mental health can bring, especially when we interact with those individuals who are indeed suffering from such, but at the end of the day, a trained psychologist will always be what's best for them.

I still think it's incredibly brave of you to speak your mind on this and open up about your own struggles. Thank you for that. 

I see what u mean but I honestly am just open to talk to anyone about anything, and I don't think talking to others about their mental health is that negative -- talking about it is a first step to something. But to be clear i dont think i'm really advocating for any actual mental health intervention on lotc beyond offering information and support as much as it can, like i dont think we should have mental health counselors on lotc in any capacity unless they had actual certified training.

But what I do think it can and should do is provide access to other resources, and spread awareness. That's not too much to ask of a community with limited resources, and it's not really harming anybody at all. I mean, most large and public organizations in the U.S engage in similar activities.

Mental health is definitely a serious problem and I know that a lot of us struggle with it. I struggle with severe OCD and ADHD, so I'm no stranger to mental health problems. HOWEVER, there's a time and a place for mental health resources. There isn't an obligation for LotC staff to help with mental health. As you said, seek professional help. Of course, you can always vent to a friend, but there's a difference between that and LotC officially providing mental health resources.

This just gave me a reality-check on myself, people have been dealing with similar problems to this, such as myself. I find it hard for me to focus and I've even lashed out on this platform once, it's at least decent to know that people are trying get advice for people who have these problems rather then shoving them to a dark corner of the community, because I've been there, and I hate it. If any of you want to talk to me, for the love of god, don't suffer and drown in silence.