PSA: ADHD & Mental Health Awareness

Priceflash

MENTAL HEALTH @ LOTC  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think mental health resources should be more accessible on lordofthecraft.net?

• yes
    • no

Well said, very well said.

Oh man, hugely relate. I was diagnosed early this year.... Just before quarantine, brilliant. Inattentives unite, just because we're not as messy as PH/I's doesn't mean we aren't a mess.

The only thing I'll say is that you made getting help sound a little more complicated than it is IMO. For me, treatment was about my parent concluding that I had a problem, and needed therapy. I'm a bit younger than you. I went into therapy a few years ago; I essentially determined for myself that I had ADHD, on accident after relating a bit too hard to a few personal stories, and had my therapist evaluate me whereupon I have been on my clinical treatment path for most of this year.

Regardless of that part of my life affecting my mental health, even unmedicated therapy in general has really been that uncomfortable, little shove off the cliff into mindfulness and betterment. The key is indeed just doing it, but for me it was psychiatrist second, therapist first. I didn't really need to go in expecting a diagnosis to just air my dirty laundry, and work out my problems with another person who is a professional and could actually help me.

Granted, certain more severe (ADHD is a slow, contemplative killer.......) mental conditions are obviously best diagnosed first thing. I was never too close to being permanently injured (mentally or physically) so it was less important that I know exactly what I'm dealing with, and I have no doubt my therapist already had an inkling though wanted to let me decide on my own how to proceed.

Being somebody who actually has some academic experience, on the subject matter (I am studying neuropsychology and experimental psychology and/or psychiatry), I can affirm that mental health is something that should not go unnoticed, not even on the obscurest of platforms and mediums, such as ours. The server, on its own, may serve a sort of aid to the problems of some, and so it is not entirely unbelievable that someone could use the platform as an outlet to treat their own mental health problems. With that said, it is upon the will of the people on the server to lend their hand out to those in need. The one who tells the stories rules the world.

commend you greatly for putting this piece out, price. We are all in this together -- we really, have to be --, especially in such times as these. After all, one rain does not make a crop.

love you price

I have ADHD and recently broke free from my ADHD meds.

When I was on them, it felt like I wasn't good enough to function without them. It felt like if I didn't take my meds, I'd act out and **** up. It didn't help that both the times I was suspended from my high school were both the times I forgot to take my ADHD medicine for that day. When I graduated in 2018 as valedictorian, I decided enough was enough, and I haven't taken my medicine since. I still do tend to get overly excited about ideas, I can get impulsive and sometimes I just easily get distracted more than usual. It's not as bad as it used to be. I remember in elementary school, I'd get so hyper and impuslive about science that I'd breathe a bit heavier and someone told me to legit stop breathing (I know he meant 'stop breathing so loud', which is ironic now because I breathe so shallow and soft you can barely hear me.)

you're a good man. i've only recently come to the conclusion that my mental health had lead me down a dark road of drug addiction and poor "favorite people" choices which spiraled me out of control. getting help is the only way anyone can possibly hope to fix the wiring in their systems, and i'm glad you finally got the help you needed.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at childhood, had about 10 yrs of therapy for it, which helped me to understand the mental illness a lot better. 
ADHD/ADD were never a topic within my family, only in school I noticed it coming up. Often you'd hear the term "ADHD-Kid" used more as a slur to describe generally hyperactive children, I was one of them. Then again I wouldn't have minded at all until finally someone explained me what it was all about. Now, not to write a long story about the hardships of ADHD, instead I'd like to incentivize those who are struggling with that illness to seek guidance for self-regulating & adjustments for their day to day life, to hopefully find positives in a condition that is often misunderstood and carries a uncomfortable stigma.
It's not dark road always... For all the unattentive moments that occur I have atleast some moments where I feel so in control, combined with a considerable resevoir of energy & creativity, a sense of flow forms, which gets me through some of the most tiresome tasks in a blast. 

I wrote some pieces about what my life is like with ADHD, and included a tid bit of factoids about the illness at the end of it awhile ago. I was pleasantly surprised about the lack of mockery it got, considering ADHD is usually seen as a "haha hyper xd" condition that isn't taken very seriously. 

I have horrible ADHD, and it's pretty common for my hyperactive episodes to end as major depressive episodes. I'm sure someone here knows what it's like to be full of hyperactive energy and not give a **** about anything other than having fun and being funny, only to come down from it and get really depressed and embarrassed over how you had acted.

With ADHD, it's really important to find a means of focus you can easily rely upon. When your thoughts start getting out of control, zooming in on something you like can slow your brain down and quickly relax you. For me, it's writing and reading, which was one reason I loved being on the lore team so much. For my little sister, it's decorating. Once you find something that can reliably slow your brain down, having an episode leads to less panicking most of the time, at least in my experience.

That being said, there's not much for LOTC to do in regards to assisting with the matter. This is a place for people to have fun and play minecraft. We don't have professional therapists or doctors who can reliably give you the help you need. The most helpful thing LOTC can do is provide a platform for you to express yourself, and provide a platform for others to create posts like this and spread awareness. 

Post like these are greatly appreciated, and they offer a breath of fresh air and reassurance to those who need it, but they'll never replace a professional psychiatrist or doctor. It's really important to make sure people in your home life are aware of your struggling as well, and not just online friends. Sometimes, what people need is a push from someone they love. I've been procrastinating getting back on my ADHD meds for a year now, and if it weren't for COVID, I'm pretty sure my fiancee would have forced me to call up my indian clinic by now. God knows I'm probably just not going to get around to it myself, even though I know I need to.

Good luck with everything my dude, and thanks for the good read. Your format wants me to gouge my eyes out though, and I have to beg you to change your color scheme

Never thought I'd see a thread I relate with more than this one.

I was diagnosed with ADD in 2nd (US education system). For the span of 10 years after that, I was almost forced took a drug called Vyvanse for it, which is sort of a lesser known (at least at the time it was) version of Adderall. As time went on, the drugs that doctors had insisted I take to fix my attentiveness were making me extremely depressed. By the time I got to High School, it seemed like everyday was the same for me; I'd get up, go to school, and then go to bed. My social life tanked, and because I couldn't connect with friends, the depression and self-loathing worsened, and so I just stopped caring about every other aspect of my life. On top of this, I had no reason to believe that this behavior wasn't normal, so it made me feel even more isolated. I was fed the same two points of information; If I took the drugs, I would be more attentive and be able to do better in school. If I didn't, even the smallest amount of schoolwork would seem overwhelming, and frustrating. It wasn't until my Junior Year (11th grade) did I realize none of what I was experiencing was normal, so I rejected any further prescriptions for my drugs. Ever since then, its still been an uphill battle. ADD/ADHD is a tremendously difficult thing to live with, on and off medicines for it. And everybody has had a different experience with it.

On 11/5/2020 at 3:08 AM, Cordial__ said:

As time went on, the drugs that doctors had insisted I take to fix my attentiveness were making me extremely depressed.

I just got off of a generic Adderall and this hits. I suppose this is the downside of being diagnosed early- It's harder to advocate for yourself when there's a problem.

I will say I developed depression all on my own without the helpful assistance of bad meds, but I totally understand where you're coming from. While I was on my generic, every time we'd up the dose I'd start to get worse episodes. For a while I passed these off as my usual moods, but I thought it was too convenient that I suddenly became a morning person (I am not) and was some kind of angry self destructive gremlin at night. I just enjoyed waking up to normality.

No one needs a reason to be depressed but that wasn't it, the sadness was so artificial. Basically all the anxiety I feel drinking caffeine, distilled until the end of my day for me to deal with. I was later told it can happen while it wears off, particularly in already anxious people. I had to do that dance for two months before it was unbearable, destroying my friendships and I couldn't continue. Years? Good lord you're made of some tough cookies. Sending you positive vibes.