[✗] [Invention Lore] Steam Engine Trains

AlaricGrimgold

The Dwarven Steam Train

VoghSso5ojEmCaFzveky_FUPxIBSjxpTT3WpHBX6SITNCdFQUT52PGUoBMwgQ2nsoA-Pckr90C8cckCLL7Cy3VitnXD0LU4bP0l-bzjK8haBM1hDsAMPFs2Yh4RSfxSTvzyjTQn4

Model SE-1 “The Grimforge Engine”

Origin

In the late 1780’s, upon the massive expansion of the Kal’Drahgalotharem minecart system, a great team of Dwarves from the clans Grimgold and Hammerforge began work on a massive undertaking: to renovate the chaotic labyrinth of tracks into a more organized system of rails. Under the engineering knowledge of the Clanfathers, combined with engineers brought in from the Worker’s Guild and the esteemed Clan Irongut, large beams of timber were laid over the stripped tunnels that once housed the intertwined cart system and rails far larger than the previous tracks were laid. With a base of stories of old Imperial Iron Chargers, the Dwedmar set to work designing a way to carry far more freight over far distances, setting up a system with a wheeled coal-fed steam engine, redesigned from one of their steamships. Dubbing the device The Grimforge Engine, the multitude of Dwarves piled upon the loading platform to watch the first set of testings.

Description

This device consists primarily of a retrofitted steamship engine; a large coal burning furnace that heats up a boiler of water. When the water inside boils, the steam produced pushes pistons that sit in the engine above to turn a crankshaft, rotating the wheels via a connecting rod, or axel. As this pushes the first engine cart forwards, it will carry along a number of cars behind it equal to the size of the engine equipped.

Rc4vw7IuHUG2-CZTXt5PKg5GAn8ky0RtDOhndC_iERma9agtURI6KZvseggoRWHpSzcbAROpyEMYvIgX50NfU6GvibIsvl9rTaZSpCHLLqfDxlA6qlfMbnjQiqIi4UEBBXs6A8Vg

The Coal Car with Passenger Cars in the distance.

Capabilities:

When carts are hooked up to the steam engine, it allows the transportation of large amounts of freight or people over long distances to preset locations. A steady supply of water, coal, oil, and sand (which is required to maintain traction on the wheels) is required to keep the maintenance and upkeep of the train of carts. The load and speed bearing capabilities are determined by the size of the engine pulling the cart.

Small Engine--

A more specialized engine, most would not see a reason to build such a small carriage unless to traverse flattened terrain or to travel to more remote locations.

Requirements: 2 Blast Furnaces

Towing Capabilities: One Engine, One Coal Car, and One Car of any type

Speed: Top speeds of 50 MPH under optimal conditions, standard speeds of 27 MPH fully laden.

Medium Engine--

The standard carriage design set by the original designers of the engine, with the planned use for most city to city travel and the ferrying of cargo and passengers between these towns.

Requirements: 12 Blast Furnaces

Towing Capabilities: One Engine, One coal car, and four cars of any type.

Speed: Top speeds of 60 MPH under optimal conditions, standard speeds of 35 MPH fully laden.

Large Engine--

These engines are suitable over long distances and for travel over steeper terrain. While capable of carrying vast quantities of goods and people, they are very expensive to maintain and are slower than most engines due to the large amounts of weight they carry.

Requirements: 22 Blast Furnaces

Towing Capabilities: One Engine, One coal car, and ten cars of any type.

Speed: Top speeds of 65 MPH under optimal conditions, standard speed of 38 MPH fully laden.

Gaining power--

For every 10 blast furnaces added to the engine without additional cars attached, a small engine can add 10 MPH to both its optimal and fully laden speeds, to a maximum of 20 blast furnaces. Allowing smaller trains with larger engines to be the most suited to uneven or difficult terrain.

Redlines

-Adding more engines above 22 does not further increase the power of the engines. Thus the top speed of a train is 70 MPH (one car with 22 engines, unladen). While the purpose of the trains is for quicker travel, the speeds should be in realistic ranges.

-The knowledge and capabilities of building these devices have evolved from hundreds of years of steam engineering and mining traditions, and takes intense training for one to learn the complex mechanisms required to bring the locomotion to the vehicle. Without the knowledge of the craft, the average person would be incapable of crafting such an engine.

-For every IRL month of operation, a line (defined as a travel point between two destinations) must hand over a single chest full of coal or charcoal to the ST to destroy.

-It is impossible to take a train off of the rails, neither will these engines be capable of being compressed enough to make a steam wagon.

-A station must be built at both locations you wish to set travel between.

mKXrJ2f23X1xadBjyGpt035bbxPWfoovAM-wU2-9rWMU_leypUXa0EhmqKDH-iE_wGlTp1t9PRdnlVpNDWX3GvcArPHvPD7cOLQomiN8qb2P2FvcJpoQuWRKsn0x0zwbhICQLpF9

The Flat Bed and Caboose

OOC Information

This invention post is meant to give a more unique sense of industrial culture and travel to match the steamships for certain semi-industrialized groups. If implemented, we would wish to see stations appear to allow fast travel between cities that allow a station to be built in them to the central station. These stations would be set up by any builders of the town and would supply both roleplay and purpose to certain areas. It is  intended for the laying of tracks to be handled mostly IRP with engineers heading out to areas to plan the course of tracks. With a cost added to each month of operation, we hope that it would deter a lack of roleplay.

Minecarts

As one boards the train they would find an elevator down to a tunnel beneath that would have minecarts running between the two destinations. Here, they could purchase a cart and use the track to their own discretion. With the possibility for some of the track to breach the surface, nice view points and spots for ambushes could also be set up.

Citations:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/180554-✗-iron-chargers-engines-and-railways/

Credit to Hrokaz, Overlord8000, Bdanecker, and Norgeth_

Omg yes this would be so cool 

wait so is it fast travel or minecarts you want

anyway i support trains but you should remove the monthly coal requirement imo. it's just a chore and a hassle. coal isn't expensive or hard to get; the operators will have no trouble always getting enough for very little expense. it'll just be a pain in the ass remembering it and getting onto the ST about it, rather than any real challenge or limitation. 

i want thomas the dank engine on my Dwarf RP server +1

2 hours ago, argonian said:

wait so is it fast travel or minecarts you want

anyway i support trains but you should remove the monthly coal requirement imo. it's just a chore and a hassle. coal isn't expensive or hard to get; the operators will have no trouble always getting enough for very little expense. it'll just be a pain in the ass remembering it and getting onto the ST about it, rather than any real challenge or limitation. 

I should clarify.

The original plan was for fast travel using a system of warps, but as that is generally disliked to be implemented by a section of the community we rewrote it to be more organized and FASTER travel using long stretches of minecarts. If the idea of warps becomes more accepted on the server, it could easily be converted back.

Upon the coal-- I could see it becoming a hassle, but as coal often becomes a throwaway resource we wanted to give some purpose to players making money off of coal mining or charcoal making RP professions by selling to Rail Companies. This could also be done away with, but our hope was to create more options for RP to arise.

1 minute ago, AlaricGrimgold said:

I should clarify.

The original plan was for fast travel using a system of warps, but as that is generally disliked to be implemented by a section of the community we rewrote it to be more organized and FASTER travel using long stretches of minecarts. If the idea of warps becomes more accepted on the server, it could easily be converted back.

Upon the coal-- I could see it becoming a hassle, but as coal often becomes a throwaway resource we wanted to give some purpose to players making money off of coal mining or charcoal making RP professions by selling to Rail Companies. This could also be done away with, but our hope was to create more options for RP to arise.

Minecart railroads are already allowed, and always have been. There are some on the map rn.

Not that there's anything wrong with flavour lore, but just saying you can go ahead and do this rn if you want.

11 hours ago, AlaricGrimgold said:

The knowledge and capabilities of building these devices have evolved from hundreds of years of steam engineering and mining traditions

Your clan has existed for all of 50 iRP years dude.

Without the knowledge of the craft, the average person would be incapable of crafting such an engine.

This needs to be better worded. Yes the average medieval fantasy peasant wouldn't understand, but this is so vague it can be abused to circlejerk and cause numerous headaches. Better to say that only those with existing knowledge of steam-power could feasibly reverse-engineer, interpret designs, blueprints etc. or replicate it etc.

-For every IRL month of operation, a line (defined as a travel point between two destinations) must hand over a single chest full of coal or charcoal to the ST to destroy.

The ST won't want to do this. Even if they agree to it initially, it'll fall by the wayside and your railroad tycoon management will just become free. Requiring ST to sign off on your rails every month is unnecessary, but if you wanted to demonstrate the amount of coal required to use the trains, you could require refuelling stations along the line, and/or a coal mine at either end.

8 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

Your clan has existed for all of 50 iRP years dude.

This needs to be better worded. Yes the average medieval fantasy peasant wouldn't understand, but this is so vague it can be abused to circlejerk and cause numerous headaches. Better to say that only those with existing knowledge of steam-power could feasibly reverse-engineer, interpret designs, blueprints etc. or replicate it etc.

The ST won't want to do this. Even if they agree to it initially, it'll fall by the wayside and your railroad tycoon management will just become free. Requiring ST to sign off on your rails every month is unnecessary, but if you wanted to demonstrate the amount of coal required to use the trains, you could require refuelling stations along the line, and/or a coal mine at either end.

On the our Clan thing-- I wrote the document, but this is from a group of people who wanted to do it. The traditions we are talking about are the Iron Chargers (over 100 years old) and Steam Ships, which have also been around for over 100 years.

On the second point-- Yes that would be a far better wording.

Lastly-- That is fair, and I like the idea of the supply stations along the line. It just seems certain resources-- coal especially-- become useless down the road and we were hoping to keep a purpose to people still doing certain more mundane jobs, like actually collecting coal. But yes, that can easily be modified.

1 hour ago, AlaricGrimgold said:

Lastly-- That is fair, and I like the idea of the supply stations along the line. It just seems certain resources-- coal especially-- become useless down the road and we were hoping to keep a purpose to people still doing certain more mundane jobs, like actually collecting coal. But yes, that can easily be modified.

I mean you right that coal and lapis and redstone are absurdly plentiful and useless, but I wonder if that could be fixed with the plugins next map. I'd also like to see some mechanical use for those resources, whether for crafting or some kind of effect or whatever, but I think a lot of lore is over-reliant on ST signing off on things. It's something they'll probably better explain themselves when this goes through a mag though.