[PK] One Last Lullaby

Mewliet

Spoiler

image0.jpg

(Not my art clearly, credit to whoever's it is <3)

Many times Emily Al-Nabeel sat quietly in her room, locked away with nothing but her loneliness and a broken heart. Tears fell from her blue orbs, staining her flushed cheeks as she sat at her desk,

a lingering pain tugging at her heart. The woman sat at her desk, quill in hand as she stared hopelessly at an empty piece of parchment, pondering on what to say to her family, to her people. 

"An explanation..." she thought "No - an apology."

Emitting a frustrated sigh, she ran her hands through her messy brown curls. Allowing her eyes to close for a moment as she exhaled, merely staring at the back of her eyelids.

The pain was all too much, twisting and tormenting her very soul. It made her sick.

A room once filled with his laughter, his scent, even his breathing. She missed all of it. The silence... it haunted her - painfully so.
Taking a deep breath, she stared at the empty parchment once again, a permanent frown crossed her rose colored lips.

"They deserve something..."

With another sigh, she dipped her quill in the bottle of ink before setting it against the parchment, tears staining the corners and smudging some of the ink.

Hours passed while the only light in the room was a dimly lit candle sitting on the desk she sat before.

The sun was setting in the Korvassan dessert, meaning it was nearing bedtime for Zaid and Amira. Emily rose, leaving the half written letter at her desk,

completely unaware she'd never be able to finish. The brunette haired woman made her way off to sing her children one last lullaby.

Spoiler

To my family and friends,

Words cannot express the guilt I feel for not being there for each and every one of you, especially in our time of need. Instead of helping, I cowered behind walls of darkness and sorrow. Fahad's death has taken a great toll on me, mentally and emotionally. I owe my eternal gratefulness to the Nabeel family for everything they've done for me throughout my whole life. I can never express how thankful I am for blessing me with such a kind best friend, husband, and father to my children.

It was soft, just loud enough for the young children to catch the sound of it. A familiar song that was often sung to them. As the faint lullaby went on, her frame moved from one to the other. A brush of her fingers against their hair. Only once they were fast asleep did her lullaby stop. A lingering glance over the two children, before she left their room. Her feet took her to her bedroom, but one look at the empty bed had her pausing. Tears welled up in her eyes, lingering on the bed. There was an ache in her chest, and it was agonizing. A wound that no healer would be able to help with, for it wasn’t a physical one. 

“Habibi…” It was only one word, but it still cracked as it came from her lips. It was a struggle to keep herself together. Empty. It all felt so empty.

With one last look at the bed, she turned from it. It was an internal debate for a few minutes, a step taken forward and then back before she finally faced the bed once more. She moved towards it, but she didn’t head to her side. Instead, she veered to his side. Pulling the covers back, she slipped beneath them, sitting up so that her back was propped against the wall. 

The tears were threatening to spill over, the ache in her chest only growing. She had tried so hard to carry on life without him. The twins were the only thing that kept her going this long. No matter how hard she tried, the pain didn’t lessen. Every time she breathed, it was unbearable, this void in her heart. A void that could never be filled. Her title meant nothing, as did the material objects she possessed. She’d give it all up entirely if it meant getting him back. If it would fill that side of the bed once again. Bring back the other half of her heart. Even the destruction of Al-Faiz, her home, didn’t compare to what she was feeling.

What was she supposed to do? She couldn’t just go on. For the majority of her life, he had been there. Anything that she went through, he went through right alongside her. Before being her husband, he had been her best friend. 

Her head leaned back, resting against the wall behind her. The tears now freely spilled down her cheeks, her eyes closing. It grew more steady until it was literally streams of tears flowing down her cheeks. How long it took her to fall asleep, was unclear. It could have been hours or mere minutes. It wasn’t the first time she’d cried herself to sleep since his loss. The only difference was that this time she wouldn’t wake up. A broken heart is just as fatal as a stab to the heart.

Spoiler

OOC: A big thanks to @Criala for helping me write this <333

Edited by UwUuSoWarm