I stand - Remembrance

Sham404

I stand in a field of red and green, sun high in the sky on myself my kin. Not united by blood or marriage, but by a bond forged in the hardships of conflict, a bond no man can disparage. 

Some of my kin departed long ago, others more recently. Regardless of when and how, I know they watch over me ceaselessly.

I stand in blue, exchanged for the green I used to wear all those years ago. Medals pinned to my breast, earned with blood through trials no one should know.

Knuckles white as they grip the cane. This time my children advised me to abstain. Too sick, too old, too tired to go. I lack the energy to explain - our bond was not so shallow.

I stand for my friends among a sea of strangers. Young and younger, here to remember us for putting our lives in danger. Wiping away a slow tear from my face, my heart is bleak. Soon it will be my turn to speak.

The poppy fields stretch for miles around, a vision from my past. Days when I carried a rifle in place of a cane, standing strong and steadfast. Days before then, when war was a game we played. Mere months later, we crouched in trenches, in houses, and prayed.

I stand now as we stood back then. Sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, I stand for all of them.

---

At the eleventh hour, take two minutes to remember.