Transcript: Krawn z. Stafyr

Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska

AULIC COURT OF THE KINGDOM OF HANSETI-RUSKA

ve Krawn z. Stafyr

sFHXN4pK9zl1Bx4QI1PQH2QC3rV57vRQzvHoAnNhJgizygfuMkbxQ_soI7A_sft2gvLhnfcAz_WhLTN3MWt_RcA84lEzGd0mE6f_VT4Mw9omeZh9Ge6h0ppceYiNFnkkbVqM50t1

11th of Gronna & Droba, 347 ES

Jovenaars

Mr. Otto Wittenbach (Presiding)

Ms. Reza Battory Gynsburg Assistant)

Sir Sigmar Joren Baruch (Assistant)

Prosecution

Eleanora Mannox

Defense

Hektor Stafyr (Defendant)

Oskar Wick (Legal counsel)

Testimonies

Astoro Jovanovsk

Anna Felrend

Hektor Stafyr

Fyodor Erhdhart

Otto Wittenbach: “Lord Hektor Stafyr, you are here to answer to the following charges… the crime of intentionally spreading false information about another individual with intent to harm the reputation of that individual shall constitute a middling offence… as well as the crime of attempting to sow dissent and intentionally stoking violent sentiments towards the Crown, Aulic Government or royal family shall constitute a treasonous offence.”

Otto Wittenbach: “What do you plead?”

Oskar van Wick: “The Defense pleads not guilty, Your Honor.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Very well the Prosecution may do its openings statement.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Haeseni; Judges, This is a case regarding a man who has been causing great disruption in this city for the past several months.”

Eleanora Mannox: “He has insulted and defamed our leaders and our soldiers; attempted to sow dissent by calling our Royal Army heretical, and yelled in the streets that they are somehow corrupt.”

Eleanora Mannox: “All over an aurum line which the King had given his assent to be removed from the gates.”

Eleanora Mannox: “This is why we’re having this trial today, good Judges, to bring justice against a man who has used his tongue for treasonous sentiments.”

Eleanora Mannox: “My name is Eleanora Mannox, and I’m here to represent the Crown and its loyal soldiers. Thank you.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you Miss Mannox, you may take your seat. The defense may now do their opening statement.”

Oskar van Wick: “Haeseni Judges, the prosecution accuses my client of attempts at defamation towards the HRA. The charge as stated in 412.01, Specifically states intentionally spreading false information with the intent to harm the reputation of. The prosecution also uses a specific word for his accused crime: Defamation. Part of the very definition of Defamation is to have harmed the reputation of said individuals! Fundamentally, the crux of their argument stems from intent to mislead the public to bring about some form of change towards the governmental structure. My client has spoken only his own personal beliefs, has not willingly told a lie, and his words have been misrepresented.”

Oskar van Wick: “I hope that through the course of this trial, we come to understand that my client not only did not attempt to incite violence against the guard, but that the reputation of the individuals in question has not been tarnished by nature of public opinion regarding my client, and that he spoke only what he deemed to be truthful at the time. Thank you.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you, Now we shall continue with the Trial, Both parties will now make submissions by turn, the Prosecution will start.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Now, the Defense claims that Lord Stafyr's words did were not intended to stir dissent and were merely an expression of his opinions. However.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Lord Stafyr's accusation against individuals and the HRA were unfounded and harmful. Firsly, Lord Stafyr accused the HRA of being corrupt, heretical, and criminalistic.”

Eleanora Mannox: “These remarks would have been less serious if he hadn't begun yelling them in the streets of our city. Publicly undermining the authority of the Royal Army is unacceptable and is not simply an 'opinion.'”

Eleanora Mannox: “Secondly, Lord Stafyr's remarks toward the Lord Marshal and Fyodor Erhdhart were unfounded and harmful. He referred to Lord Manfred as 'a dissapointment to our nation' and claimed that he was corrupt.”

Eleanora Mannox: “As for Fyodor Erhdhart, he accused the soldier of being an undead. The man he was accompanied by pressed an aurum bar to the skull of Fydor, without permission, claiming he had flinched at the touch.”

Eleanora Mannox: “By accusing the Royal Army of heresy and corruption, he was undermining their authority under the king. I have a written testimony from Astoro Jovanovsk, explaining his actions further.”

Eleanora Mannox: “That is all.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you, now the defence, do you wish to respond?”

Oskar van Wick: “Yes Your Honor.”

Oskar van Wick: “Let us start from the top, and work our way down in terms of the charges. To begin with, the only verification of the statements my client is accused of in this statement so far are from a written document, which is fine and well. Yet the opine of an individual regarding the retelling of the events is not the same thing as discussing intent. A mute point, and I am sure my client when I call him up here shortly shall corroborate some of these statements as well as provide an alternate perspective.”

Oskar van Wick: “Secondly, to describe the words as harmful without any evidence supporting in any capacity that the Lord Marshal, nor Sergeant Erhdhart's reputations were damaged by such statements.”

Oskar van Wick: “Thirdly, to make the claim that a stop and touch via aurum is tantamount to accusation of undeath holds little water, as my client will testify that the stop and touch regarding the aurum was done under the presence of another member of the HRA. Their own evidence as displayed does not mention that the Sergeant was accused of being undead, nor that he flinched from the reaction. A peculiar inconsistency.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Objection, Your Honor.”

Eleanora Mannox: “As stated in 412.01 of the Haurul Caezk: 'The crime of intentionally spreading false information about another individual with intent to harm the reputation of that individual shall constitute a middling offence.'”

Eleanora Mannox: “There is no necessity for their reputations to have actively been harmed.”

Oskar van Wick: “Your honor I was more speaking towards their argument, as opposed to the actual letter of the law itself. The prosecution argued that the statements were harmful, and I was bringing into question the validity of what harm was being done.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Objection overruled.”

Oskar van Wick: “Thank you, Your Honor.”

Oskar van Wick: “Lastly, regarding the argument of accusing the Royal Army of heresy and corruption, Lord Stafyr was undermining the authority of the King. The King himself has recently removed an individual for overstepping their authorities as enshrined by the crown. As I'm sure we've all read in His Majesty, Koeng Josef I's missive, he was unaware of the surrounding events regarding the individual's accusation. The individual who was removed from government was only done so after a thorough investigation by His Majesty only after a public complaint was lodged. Again, intent has not been proven that my client did so for the purpose of sowing dissent and breaking public trust in our government, or if he did so to highlight a perceived problem.”

Oskar van Wick: “This ends the defense's rebuttal. Thank you Your Honor.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you, The defence may now make a submission or call a witness.”

Oskar van Wick: “The defense would like to submit Lord Stafyr to rise and take questioning, Your Honor.”

Otto Wittenbach: “The defense may call Lord Stafyr. Please stand up to take zhe Henrician Oath.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Lord Stafyr, do you swear before God and Man that your testimony today is the truth, only the truth, and nothing but the truth, under penalty of perjury?”

Hektor Stafyr: “I so swear.”

Otto Wittenbach: “The defence may proceed.”

Oskar van Wick: “For the court, Lord Stafyr, please outline the events that transpired that led to the arrest and subsequent charges that you're facing today.”

Hektor Stafyr: “Well I was walking through the gate to see the aurum line being removed. I got into a dispute after questioning it's removal and the conversation got heated. Shortly after I heard one of the guards talking to Hubert Porcher, I believe that is his name.”

Hektor Stafyr: “About stop and testing people as they come into the city. So I got an aurum bar and went to the first person I saw which was Fyodor, I pressed the aurum bar against his head which resulted in nothing. Immediately after, the Lord Marshal came over and said.”

Hektor Stafyr: “That if any person is touched by the aurum bar without their consent, I would be arrested. I stopped the stop and test straight away and got into another heated conversation with the Lord Marshal regarding the aurum line.”

Hektor Stafyr: “And about unnatural begins residing within the city due to it not being there.”

Hektor Stafyr: “I was briefly removed from the city by the Lord Marshal and returned some time later. I was at the palace courtyard discussing with some people there about the aurum line and unnatural things being in New Reza.”

Hektor Stafyr: “Where I got into another heated conversation with the Lord Marshal and guards which resulted in me promptly being placed in a cell and shortly later, released.”

Oskar van Wick: “Do you believe in the authority of His Majesty, Koeng Josef I, to appoint members to the aulic council?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, I do.”

Oskar van Wick: “Do you believe that it is the Lord Marshal's right to administratively regulate the HRA under his command, and acknowledge his right to arrest individuals?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, I do.”

Oskar van Wick: “And when you were arrested by the HRA, did you accept it without putting up a fight?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, I did.”

Oskar van Wick: “Did you ever once during your discussions with any individuals in the HRA state that they did not have the authority of the crown to make arrests?”

Hektor Stafyr: “I disputed the reason of arrest but never made a comment regarding their authority of the crown to make arrests.”

Oskar van Wick: “Did you ever, during your discussions with the Lord Marshal, dispute his authority as granted to him by the crown to administrate the HRA under his command, or dispute his authority to make arrests?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Nay, I did not.”

Oskar van Wick: “During this odeal, did you ever, in your belief, attempt to incite violence against any of the arresting individuals, the Lord Marshal, or against the government of Haense?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Nay, I did not.”

Oskar van Wick: “What is your definition of undead, Lord Stafyr? Or rather, what do you believe that definition to be?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Any creature that has been barred entry into the Skies and still roams the earth.”

Oskar van Wick: “Do ghosts fit the criterion for this definition, in your belief?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, they do.”

Oskar van Wick: “Do you personally take issue with specific ghosts that have entered into this Kingdom?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, there was a particularly malicious one.”

Oskar van Wick: “So you would personally disagree with the policy of removing aurum lines?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, though I acknowledge the authority of the Lord Marshal and the crown to remove them.”

Oskar van Wick: “Did you have any intent with your statements to argue against the authority of the Lord Marshal or the Crown in their right to remove them?”

Hektor Stafyr: “Nay.”

Oskar van Wick: “So then why make such statements?”

Hektor Stafyr: “I acknowledge that the statements were heated and could have been worded better, but my intent was purely to point out what I saw as a potential issue.”

Oskar van Wick: “Thank you, Lord Stafyr. The defense is done with its questioning of the witness, Your Honor.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you, the prosecution may now cross examin the witness.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Now, Lord Stafyr. I believe in your testimony you glossed over the 'heated discussions.' Could you delve into those, for me? Or I have a few quotes taken by the Lord Marshal, if you require a jogging of your memory.”

Hektor Stafyr: “Aye, if you would please read me a few of the quotes from the Lord Marshal.”

Eleanora Mannox: “'The Marshal and the HRA collude with the undead, they do not believe in God.' 'The HRA is corrupt!'”

Eleanora Mannox: “'The HRA tortured that man illegally after his trial!' 'The HRA are criminals!' 'The HRA are bastards!'”

Oskar van Wick: “Objection Your Honor, the prosecution is stating these are words that have come from the Lord Marshal's own quotation yet verification of these quotations has not been provided.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Miss Mannox can you provide Verification.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Da, I shall bring up a witness, and I can provide the physical letter that was sent to me.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Objection Overruled, you may proceed.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Alright. Could you answer my inquiry?”

Hektor Stafyr: “I do not remember making some of those statements as it was many months ago.”

Hektor Stafyr: “I do not remember making some of those statements as it was many months ago.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I see. Your defendant states that you were 'undermining the authority of the King.' Is this something that you participated in, Lord Stafyr?”

Hektor Stafyr: “I don't believe he stated that I was undermining the authority of the king, but that I was not undermining the authority of the king.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Well. Ser Viktor has been taking a transcript. Would you read it aloud, Ser Viktor?”

Ser Viktor Rauen: “Mr Wick said: 'Lastly, regarding the argument of accusing the Royal Army of heresy and corruption, Lord Stafyr was undermining the authority of the King.'.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Undermining the authority of the King.”

Oskar van Wick: “Objection, I would like the court records to show that I unfortunately misspoke, as my line of thinking was interrupted by the overruled objection by Miss Mannox. I acknowledge my mistake in that statement. I meant to state that he wasn't undermining the authority of the King.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Yet attempting to fight the Haense Royal Army over the King's orders is undermining his decision. Is it not?”

Eleanora Mannox: “And insulting them over their loyalty?”

Eleanora Mannox: “Accusing them of heresy for removing the line, in turn, accusing the King of heresy?”

Otto Wittenbach: “Objection Overruled.”

Hektor Stafyr: “I never attempted to fight them nor physically attempted to stop them. I merely voiced my displeasure at it.”

Eleanora Mannox: “That is not what this case is about.”

Hektor Stafyr: “I did not attempt to fight the royal army over the Kings orders.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Fight as in argue, convince them of ignoring the King's decision. Thank you for catching my error.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I have one final question, regarding your failure to remember the comments you made.”

Eleanora Mannox: “If you do not recall making the comments I listed, what comments do you remember making?”

Hektor Stafyr: “At the time of the incident I believed that the aurum line was removed due to the fact that it was placed without a permit, not that of the Kings orders.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I see. And my question?”

Hektor Stafyr: “And then to answer your question about the statements HRA are bastards, HRA do not believe in God and the HRA are criminals”

Hektor Stafyr: “These comments I do not recall making.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I have one more question, then I will call a witness up to confirm these statements, if permitted.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Your defendant asked you for your definiton of 'undead.' And for you opinion on undead within the city. Did you not think to consider the Church's opinion on Ghosts? I have three documents regarding their stance, if you should like to read it.”

Hektor Stafyr: “The stance of the church at this moment has a possibility of being changed due to a council being called to outline this issue. I am also aware of the Pontiff's interpretation of how to detect whether or not a ghost is malicious in nature.”

Sir Sigmar Baruch: “ORDER, comments from the crowd will result in removal.”

Hektor Stafyr: “I do regret to have made statements in the heat of the moment during my discussion with the Lord Marshal, though.”

Eleanora Mannox: “So you admit to making a defamatory comment toward the Lord Marshal?”

Hektor Stafyr: “If I made any statement relating to the Lord Marhsal's heresy, it was an opinion at the time that has since changed after the recent missive sent out via members of the church.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Well. The opinion of the Church was never that allowing ghosts into human cities is heretical. Either way, I have no more questions.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Good thank you,”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you Lord Stafyr for the testimony. The prosecution may now make a Submission or call a witness.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I call my witness, Fyodor Erhdhart, to the stand.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Do you swear before God and Man that your testimony today is the truth, only the truth, and nothing but the truth, under penalty of perjury?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “I do.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Very good, the Prosecution may proceed.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I will not waste time in having you recount what happened, as Lord Stafyr already, loosely, did so. The comments that I quoted from Lord Manfred's letter- did Lord Stafyr say these things?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Yes he said those things as well as several others pertaining to myself and the HRA.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Right. And did he attempt to argue for the HRA not to remove the Aurum lines, ignoring their authority and accusing them of being heretical?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Aye, he several times argued that we should not remove the lines. He said that if we were removing the lines that we were colluding with undead and at one point after and a little during the removal stated that Lieutenant Astoro was not going over  lines implying him to be an undead.”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “At least I believe it was Hektor although it might've been another member of the crowd.”

Eleanora Mannox: “All this regarding the King's land, no less. These are my only questions, thank you.”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “May I add something as well.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Let me make one more inquiry before you do so.”

Otto Wittenbach: “You may not, you are just here to answer question of prosecution and defence.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Or not, regardless, I shall make a final inquiry.”

Otto Wittenbach: “You may.”

Eleanora Mannox: “When you say that it may have been another member in the crowd, you only mean this about the comment mentioning that someone accused Astoro of being undead. Am I correct?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Yes.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Thank you.”

Otto Wittenbach: “The defence may now cross examine the witness.”

Oskar van Wick: “I would first and foremost like to state that I appreciate your service to the community here, Sergeant Erhdhart. To begin with, were you made privy as to the reason of the aurum line removal?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “It was put up without the permission of the crown.”

Oskar van Wick: “Is that so? How did the HRA validate that it was put up without the permission of the crown?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Sergeant Mio wrote a letter, that confirmed that there was no permission granted, to the king.”

Oskar van Wick: “And what did that letter state? Because in the testimony from the prosecution, the letter as written by Lieutenant Jovanovsk, states that it was removed as there was no permit to place an aurum line there.”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Sorry from the King.”

Oskar van Wick: “So a letter was sent to Sergeant Mio from the King that verified this?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Yes.”

Oskar van Wick: “So Sergeant Mio sent a letter to the King asking for information regarding a permit, the King allegedly returned a letter stating that a permit was needed?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “Yes, that permission was needed to put the line there.”

Oskar van Wick: “Was this backed by Royal Edict? Or merely Sergeant Mio saying that he received a letter? Did Sergeant Mio show you the letter? As I understand there is currently no royal edict nor law that requires a permit for placing aurum lines anywhere within the city.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Objection, Your Honor.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Explain your Objection Miss Mannox.”

Eleanora Mannox: “102.03, 'All land of the Kingdom belongs to the Crown. 102.02, 'The Crown of Hanseti-Ruska shall be the paramount authority within the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska.'”

Eleanora Mannox: “A royal edict is not necessary, the King's word goes.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Objection Sustained.”

Oskar van Wick: “Your Honor, 102.06: 'The Crown may issue Royal Edicts to create laws at will'.”

Eleanora Mannox: “That does not contradict his ability to makes decisions without an edict.”

Oskar van Wick: “As it sets the standard that the way by which the Crown changes laws pertaining to the Kingdom is via Royal Edict, as outlined within the Haurul Caezk.”

Lauritz Christiansen: “'May', not 'is required to'.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Miss Mannox's Objection still sustained.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Spasibo.”

Oskar van Wick: “Understood. My question still stands. Was this note shown to you or any other individuals?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “I don't have the letter on me and I personally haven't seen the specifics. But I trust the Lord Seneshal and Mio had his permission to take down the aurum lines. It was probably shown te others but I haven't asked.”

Oskar van Wick: “Do you know the specifics of the letter? As to whether or not within the King's response it stated where aurum lines were or were not allowed to be placed?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “No I have not seen the letter as I stated. I only know that the king did not allow the line to be placed on his land at all.”

Oskar van Wick: “So you have not seen the letter, yet you are adamant that the King sent the letter, and the specifics of that letter stated that only that specific aurum line was to be removed?”

Oskar van Wick: “Or was it all aurum lines within the Kingdom?”

Fyodor Erhdhart: “I was just following orders handed down from my superiors. If ye want te accuse the Lord Seneschal and Lord Marshal of forgery ye can do that on yer own time.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Mr Erhdhart please remain civil in your answers.”

Oskar van Wick: “I never stated that, I merely asked if you knew the specifics of the letter. Which is fine. That's all the questioning I have, Your Honor. The Defense will not be submitting any more evidence at this time.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Thank you, does the Prosecution have any more submissions or witnesses then?”

Eleanora Mannox: “I do not.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Very well, Then the Jovenars will now retire for deliberations.”

Lauritz Christiansen: “No closing statements?”

Otto Wittenbach: “However firstly closing statements.”

Otto Wittenbach: “Prosecution please give your closing statement.”

Eleanora Mannox: “From what you've seen today, Lord Hektor has undermined the authority of the King by arguing against the men carrying out his orders. He has made defamatory comments toward both Lord Manfred and Fyodor Erhdhart, which he admitted to himself during his questioning.”

Eleanora Mannox: “He made claims that the army and therefor the King was heretical based on his own beliefs, not those of the church. His repetition of these accusations are evidence of his intent. His seditious and defamatory comments should not be tolerated. The Kings authority should never be put in question.”

Eleanora Mannox: “I ask the Judges to take these factors into consideration, and to recognize the severity of this man's words. This was not a matter opinion, but sedition.”

Eleanora Mannox: “Spasibo.”

Otto Wittenbach: “The defense may now make its closing statements.”

Oskar van Wick: “Most esteemed Jovenaar, both crimes, within their wording, involve intent. In fact it's a requirement for guilt in both crimes. My client has recanted his statement on heresy as stated here, by stating his opinion on the subject of the supposed heretical beliefs has now changed as a result of him reading missives by the church. Did my client intentionally spread false information? Did he intentionally stoke violent sentiments towards the crown? And did he undermine the crown's authority? Well, he has certainly stated that he in fact, did not. Especially under Oath.”

Oskar van Wick: “The fact of the matter remains that there is reasonable doubt to believe the existence of this letter. The evidence submition in regards to Lieutenant Jovanovski even states within in that the recount 'has gaps' within it. A letter was allegedly sent, but this has not been even shown to the individual proclaiming its existence, nor was it submitted into evidence for the court!”

Oskar van Wick: “There is reasonable doubt to believe intent, as not once did the prosecution tackle the issue of intentionally lying, nor did they tackle the issue of intentionally encouraging violence! My client disagreed with the notion that we should remove aurum lines. Is this dissent? Did we not have a debate in recent memory where a candidate stated, as tribune, that they would author a bill regarding the existence and necessity of aurum lines?”

Oskar van Wick: “Was this person sowing dissent for disagreeing? I should hope not, as the precedent that then becomes set is any disagreement with policy or enforcement is therefore subject to slander! I would ask the Jovenaar to deliberate, and think of the consequences of an establishment where even something as minute as disagreement over the policy of aurum results in a court case where someone's life hangs in the balance! That is all, thank you Your Honor.”

Otto Wittenbach: “On the charges of intentionally spreading false information about another individual with intent to harm the reputation of that individual shall constitute a middling offence, we the Aulic Court find the defendant guilty.”

Otto Wittenbach: “On the charges of attempting to sow dissent and intentionally stoking violent sentiments towards the Crown, Aulic Government or royal family shall constitute a treasonous offence, We the Aulic court find the defendant guilty.”

Reza Battory Gynsburg: “By unanimous decision, per curiam, the defendant, Lord Hektor Stafyr has been found guilty of sedition, a consituent crime of treason against the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska. The sentence is death by virtue of beheading as per his noble status.”

Oskar van Wick: “If I may, we would like to request an appeal and a stay of the carrying out of sentencing until the appeal is written and reviewed.”

Otto Wittenbach: “We shall allow an appeal and stay the sentence until such has been written and reviewed.”

Oskar van Wick: “Thank you, Your Honor. You shall receive an Appeal Request within two Saint's Days as we recollect evidence and look over the transcripts from this session, is that amicable to the Jovenaar?”

Reza Battory Gynsburg: “As a reminder to the room, an appeal submitted to the Aulic Court shall be advanced to the Crown, whose judgment is the court of last resort.”