What's Your Wheelhouse?

Urahra

I tend to play the same four character-types over and over again. They are as follows:

1. Tough-As-Nails Tomboy Warrior Women

See: Urara'Gorkil, Brunhylde Volsung, Gragmar Napier

2. Tragic Noblewomen Haunted By Existential Sadness

(Bonus points if they die young or have an unhappy marriage)

See: Old Lorin Chivay, Rosalie Chivay, Gisela Stafyr, Yuliya Styrne

3. Meek, Mild-Tempered Sweethearts

See: Tanith Vursur, Carden Ashford, Lorina Carrion

4. Bratty Half-Pints

See: Young Lorin Chivay, Sarah Napier

Sometimes they cross-pollinate and overlap, but you can generally sort my characters into one of those four boxes. I'd say those tend to be my wheelhouses.

How 'bout y'all? What are the character types you play over and over again?

I try to give my characters some wide, overarching theme to help me decide where it's best to take their story so I can keep things fresh with each one, but even then I often get caught in playing a lot of the same character-types. For me, some of my favorite and longest-played characters have been ones that act friendly and chipper outwardly, but actually harbor insane worldviews that are inherently destructive. I try to always shake up what the worldview is, but I noticed I fall back on this type a lot.

Conversely, I also try to play my fair share of characters that are good, upstanding, moral people. There's the common misconception that a morally good character is somehow boring- just because your character has a set of principles and is an honorable person doesn't mean they have to be Jesus. It's kind of weird to think that good people are kind of a character-type in their own on LoTC, but it's one I'll gladly continue to play because I think these types of characters ought to be more prominent. I guess this is a type that I intentionally go to a lot.

I definitely have other types I go to but I have an essay to finish and I've already spent enough time distracted by something else.

******* warrior or noble warrior. Oh what a creature of variety I am.

Alcoholic
(and or) Drug addict
Wholesome
some sort of religious zealot.

or a combo of the 4. i start most of my personas as children or in their late teens that's just kinda how it happens.

Shady emotionless cold hearted *****
Usually a bartender or a dealer
Probably a hopeless romantic or just doesn't care

I like to play characters extremely rich in inner conflict. At younger ages I always played the warrior-types, nobles, paladins, etc . . . 

And now everyone I play is extremely shaped by their background and present, and that reflects and shapes every interaction. Hooks constantly leading to their background and why they act the way they act - an extremely neurotic highelf who's eccentricity blends with blatant underlying mental disease, darkelf warrior who's complete lack of racial and gender identity and subject of frequent discrimination lead to crises and dysmorphia of both - 

I like playing characters with incomplete storyarcs. Typically left off in a pit of their lives they come out of the shadows to normal society. My "undertaker" was rejected by his wife after doing unspeakable things, and is now lacking greatly in emotion which reflects upon the way he talks and acts. 

I think it's quite fun. I put little bits of memory from stages of my life into my characters to remind myself what it's like to be in their shoes in playing them. My new character Hero is a good representation of an identity crisis I had some time ago where I'd effectively split myself to two different people, and it was emotionally exhausting. 

I haven't quite gotten the opportunity to end any of my characters lives given how nonconflictive they are, at least upfront - my highelf plays a lot like a Maven Blackbriar or Varys who often will poison someone with words to do things for her, my other characters typically upon their own with no desire for conflict, save my newest character again, Hero. 

I started ~2013 in Realms of Caeldor with Emile Aegwynn, a human who frequently emoted exercise and made sure to be apart of every fight and simply continued to exercise and fight long enough it got him somewhere. Through years of on/off rp which lots of deadspots as I steadily outgrew it in these last few years (2016-2019 being the longest), I'm happy I can play a character interesting up front and for people more interested or exposed to so, an emotionally complex and characteristically unique character.

i sound pretentious **** me but i just like talking about character depth for my minecraft server avatar 

My own character tropes:

1. Bad-ass kick butt POC

(These are my favorite character I've ever played)

See: Talia Avern-Luego, Safiye Basrid

2. Meme-ish characters to laugh with

See: Colette Omar, Payton Smith, Mary Mary, Mandarin Cockfoster, Aleesia Dagre'sae

3. Sweeties who are just a bit to innocent

See: Rowan Landes, Lavinia Dubois

4. Religious Fanatics

See: Sister Elaine of St. Mary, Evanna Anette 

These are only my LOTC characters :)) 

Super fun idea Urara!

To me, having an 'insane' character doesn't necessarily mean that you need to run around like a murder hobo—which is unfortunately a broadly accepted trait among players when it comes to mental downsides, whether lore enforced or not. Among my characters, very few have actually killed someone simply because they were 'insane' alone; and it's not very fun for either party when you simply pull someone off the road and shank them randomly because your lore demands that you 'be paranoid'. Instead, I enjoy building off both complex and simple psychological maladies; whether that's an older character developing dementia and forgetting how to pour tea properly, or some batshit crazy hag who likes to converse with inanimate objects then be offended when they don't speak back. Little things like that can make the character so much more interesting than having dark eye bags added to their skin.

I also enjoy religious and philosophical RP, which I incorporate into a lot of my characters. 

1. Old man

2. Priest

3. Bureaucrat

Usually some combination of the three. Though I've now played a princess twice, I wouldn't say either time has been long enough to be considered "in my wheelhouse."