Vortex Debates :Clap:

PrinceJose270

Sounds like a lot of the problems mentioned here atm are due to everything being put on top of the spawn in small quantities for testing during the transition map, a vast majority of these issues are going to be solved on the actual map. I'd encourage you to withhold judgement on the plugin until you actually see it, rather than looking at the trash tier transition map setup we threw together to allow people to have some fun with it while they wait for the new map to go live.

Hmm, It is only simple debates on public opinions, In the end it's always good to hear 2 sides of the same coin at the end of the day.

I mean, to be fair and I'm not criticizing anyone or anything.. BUT y'all whining about how it takes away from RP are probably the same people who run in circles jumping off fuckin' blocks and ****. Chill, it won't take away from your RP and you can create RP with the plugin.. do some things need some work? Abso-*******-lutely and hopefully they listen.

3 hours ago, InfamousGerman said:

norland playerbase is just the tech teams PR department at this point

9655_eyesshaking_new.gif

2 hours ago, Jentos said:

This is exactly what staff promoted with the nexus plugin. Players were expected to begin the craft timers and go role-play while waiting for their crafts to attain completion. Obviously, this was not the end result of nexus, and vortex will likely be no different. This said, I do believe that vortex can give something incredible.

I think late nexus was better, took time to get better.

Always bumps

5 hours ago, Sham404 said:

Sounds like a minecraft problem, not a vortex problem.

What the ****?

28 minutes ago, Malaise said:

What the ****?

Vortex has no affec ton resource collection speed. If it takes you that long to collect enough wood to build one wall, then unfortunately that is the standard minecraft collection speed of wood. Unless youre only collecting your building wood from nodes, in which case its faster because you dont have to even destroy the blocks to collect. One log still turns into 4 blanks in your crafting table.

9 hours ago, Shmeepicus said:

I mean, to be fair and I'm not criticizing anyone or anything.. BUT y'all whining about how it takes away from RP are probably the same people who run in circles jumping off fuckin' blocks and ****. Chill, it won't take away from your RP and you can create RP with the plugin.. do some things need some work? Abso-*******-lutely and hopefully they listen.

Ikr? Those are definetly most of the people that whine. They log in, stare at the sky and jump blocks for 3 hours, then an event happens or their friends join and they rp. Yet they complain that vortex is too time consuming... Even if u guys dont have alot of time, u dont have to do any crafting, money isnt acquired only through the prof system. There are pure rp jobs too. A guard has a wage, a barkeep sells liquor or has a wage, a lawyer is paid by his customers. See? U dont have to craft all the time(even if u wanted theres energy limitation). Vortex is essential as nexus was for a living economy, something that we lack for 2 years straight. What is the value of minas in the past 2 maps? Oh thats right NONE.

I would like to address two points. First of all, tavern RPers that sit in a tavern all day and simultaneously are master craftsman who produce masterwork RP items are kind of hilarious to me. The idea that you have to work to be an expert mage through provable roleplay and time -- which many roleplay focused individuals endorse -- but then can ass pull being a god at x thing is quite paradoxical.  Most things that require "IRP knowledge" are just gatekeepy for no reason, there's no reason why in such a technologically advanced world with a printing press that there would be such restrictive knowledge of certain fields such as herblore and alchemy, especially when in the past there have been massive published book series dedicated to the topic that were massively distributed. Are RP crafters really emoting, by themselves, long pages of roleplay to make their items? Or are they just typing text into a box and saying "here's my item", because that doesn't seem very roleplay to me either. That seems like using your writing skill to profit and one up other users who may not have the same abilities, which is perfectly fine, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's a more valid form of roleplay than mechanically crafting an item, especially in a system like Vortex that makes it more immersive than just using a Minecraft crafting table.

Most people grinding would otherwise not be roleplaying, at least in the way you describe it. Not everyone's idea of roleplay is "sit in a tavern and talk to the people in it or my friends", or "walk around the city and find a text rp situation", or "do shop rp", or "do government/royalty rp". Some people just like to play Minecraft in a serious fantasy universe, and to feel immersed in it. I think the idea that Vortex takes away from roleplaying is quite asinine. Why, just because something involves the mechanics of Minecraft, is it not roleplay? This isn't an IRC server. By walking down the street, whether you emote or not, you are roleplaying. When you're in the mines mining a node, or using Vortex to craft, why don't you consider that roleplaying? The idea that roleplay is only defined by long emotes and long conversations seems quite archaic to me. People attached to the idea that mechanics aren't roleplay also seem to be the ones who gatekeep the most, and put themselves on a pedestal above people who don't share the same ideas about what roleplay should be. Just consider that there is a wide variety of players on LoTC, many of whom have different interests, goals, and ideas that are likely different than your localized set of roleplayers you interact with on a daily basis.

Also, nobody is being forced to use Vortex if they don't want to, you don't have to grind and craft, you can still engage in whatever type of roleplay you please.  Grinding is also minimized. 

My opinion is this: Both Nexus and Vortex increase the immersion factor on LoTC significantly. However, there is a subset of individuals who don't want to actually want to deal with said immersion -- they would rather ignore the actual implications of existing in a fantasy universe and roleplay a more idealized version of that. I'd describe it as the difference of wanting to play a primarily "roleplay" focused DND campaign where it's less combat and more conversation and speechcraft, versus a "roleplay" focused campaign that is more focused on realism and immersion, where you have to actually keep track of your food etc without handwaving it all away. There's always going to be a divide on LoTC -- there always has been. So, I think it is in the developers best interest to ignore public opinion and develop what they think would be the most fun and would improve user experience on LoTC in some way, because if you try to listen to public opinion you're just going to get polarized viewpoints.

I do not want to do Vortex. I don't understand it, and I just want to play Mineman without having to read a guide. 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:12 PM, Priceflash said:

I would like to address two points. First of all, tavern RPers that sit in a tavern all day and simultaneously are master craftsman who produce masterwork RP items are kind of hilarious to me. The idea that you have to work to be an expert mage through provable roleplay and time -- which many roleplay focused individuals endorse -- but then can ass pull being a god at x thing is quite paradoxical.  Most things that require "IRP knowledge" are just gatekeepy for no reason, there's no reason why in such a technologically advanced world with a printing press that there would be such restrictive knowledge of certain fields such as herblore and alchemy, especially when in the past there have been massive published book series dedicated to the topic that were massively distributed. Are RP crafters really emoting, by themselves, long pages of roleplay to make their items? Or are they just typing text into a box and saying "here's my item", because that doesn't seem very roleplay to me either. That seems like using your writing skill to profit and one up other users who may not have the same abilities, which is perfectly fine, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's a more valid form of roleplay than mechanically crafting an item, especially in a system like Vortex that makes it more immersive than just using a Minecraft crafting table.

Most people grinding would otherwise not be roleplaying, at least in the way you describe it. Not everyone's idea of roleplay is "sit in a tavern and talk to the people in it or my friends", or "walk around the city and find a text rp situation", or "do shop rp", or "do government/royalty rp". Some people just like to play Minecraft in a serious fantasy universe, and to feel immersed in it. I think the idea that Vortex takes away from roleplaying is quite asinine. Why, just because something involves the mechanics of Minecraft, is it not roleplay? This isn't an IRC server. By walking down the street, whether you emote or not, you are roleplaying. When you're in the mines mining a node, or using Vortex to craft, why don't you consider that roleplaying? The idea that roleplay is only defined by long emotes and long conversations seems quite archaic to me. People attached to the idea that mechanics aren't roleplay also seem to be the ones who gatekeep the most, and put themselves on a pedestal above people who don't share the same ideas about what roleplay should be. Just consider that there is a wide variety of players on LoTC, many of whom have different interests, goals, and ideas that are likely different than your localized set of roleplayers you interact with on a daily basis.

Also, nobody is being forced to use Vortex if they don't want to, you don't have to grind and craft, you can still engage in whatever type of roleplay you please.  Grinding is also minimized. 

My opinion is this: Both Nexus and Vortex increase the immersion factor on LoTC significantly. However, there is a subset of individuals who don't want to actually want to deal with said immersion -- they would rather ignore the actual implications of existing in a fantasy universe and roleplay a more idealized version of that. I'd describe it as the difference of wanting to play a primarily "roleplay" focused DND campaign where it's less combat and more conversation and speechcraft, versus a "roleplay" focused campaign that is more focused on realism and immersion, where you have to actually keep track of your food etc without handwaving it all away. There's always going to be a divide on LoTC -- there always has been. So, I think it is in the developers best interest to ignore public opinion and develop what they think would be the most fun and would improve user experience on LoTC in some way, because if you try to listen to public opinion you're just going to get polarized viewpoints.

not a fan of vortex myself but I agree 100% with your analysis here. don't really have much to add but just wanted to re-emphasise your point abt how dumb it is that people exalt "/edit desc agiganticfuckingparagraph" as the pinnacle of RP and treat mechanics as entirely OOC nonsense. it's ridiculous.

while i disagree with a lot of the design choices of both nexus and vortex, there's nothing wrong with the principle of a skills plugin or having to grind to git gud. the fact that you can't just rp a master craftsman from day 1 with 0 effort because you have VIP edit tokens isn't a severe limitation on your RP, just lol.

My only *major* gripe is the difficulty of getting building materials. As long as vortex is an option, and not a requirement I could not care less.