Vortex and Map Change FAQ

devvy

11 hours ago, Sham404 said:

Dont insult people if you cant take insults. Simple as that. People are complaining that new players wont understand the system - I a new player figured it out in ten minutes or less and then i was told my opinion doesnt count because i havent played on the server long enough. Then people are saying im only defending it because i tested it (which i didnt) and then im a staff simp or im just whiteknighting for Nick.

Yeah, thats pretty big brain.

Taking 10 minutes to figure out how to craft a basic tool is not a thing. Good UX design should be intuitive. You either make it intuitive or build enough hints into the UI for players to understand. A new player should not require signs that say "MAKE A HAMMER" or forum guides that tell you how to use the crafting system.

And all of this confusions is with everything a player needs for crafting within a 20x20 square. What happens when a player is dropped at spawn with no access to these workstations? How does a player know they need to craft an axe, harvest wood, find a workstation, craft a saw, and make stick. And you can't have any old wood, you need special wood that doesn't look any different than normal wood.

I'm happy that LoTC is finally experimenting with a crafting system again. We always planned to come back to it but didn't have the resources or manpower at the time. However, blindly defending a poor implementation helps no one.

My criticisms aside, I noticed in the NBT that there's versioning for the items. Does this mean our jokes about N.E.X.U.S are finally happening? Also, bucket should show how many ingots they have dammit.....

Edited by CrazyBigSpiders

19 hours ago, CrazyBigSpiders said:

Taking 10 minutes to figure out how to craft a basic tool is not a thing. Good UX design should be intuitive. You either make it intuitive or build enough hints into the UI for players to understand. A new player should not require signs that say "MAKE A HAMMER" or forum guides that tell you how to use the crafting system.

And all of this confusions is with everything a player needs for crafting within a 20x20 square. What happens when a player is dropped at spawn with no access to these workstations? How does a player know they need to craft an axe, harvest wood, find a workstation, craft a saw, and make stick. And you can't have any old wood, you need special wood that doesn't look any different than normal wood.

I'm happy that LoTC is finally experimenting with a crafting system again. We always planned to come back to it but didn't have the resources or manpower at the time. However, blindly defending a poor implementation helps no one.

My criticisms aside, I noticed in the NBT that there's versioning for the items. Does this mean our jokes about N.E.X.U.S are finally happening? Also, bucket should show how many ingots they have dammit.....

You mean 10 minutes to completely come to grips with how the entire forging system works so the next time I do it i literally require less than a minute because I now know how it works? Since transitioning to the new map I have walked 4 or 5 people through how to go from nothing to crafting copper tools with literally just guiding them to different crafting tables and telling them which tool to use.

Are you saying that you immediately knew how to make everything in minecraft? I dont think so. Not to mention the entire vortex system is optional, not mandatory participation. Not to mention there will literally be a guide available to everyone.

We have a tutorial island. It wont take much to make tutorial island include vortex. A guide is also coming out - as I and others have said countless times. If people cant be bothered reading the guide, thats on them. The application process for the server is already rigorous and excludes vast numbers of possible players on purpose.

Youre complaining about wood looking the same, the tech team are already working on adding particle effects to differentiate. People can already collect wood by punching, no need to starter tools. New players arent crafting **** anyway, so I dont see why they need immediate access to everything at spawn. This is not a survival server.

No one is defending a poor implementation. EVERYONE has already said a thousand times, the implementation and communication has been poor. No one is arguing that.

Edited by Sham404

13 hours ago, Sham404 said:

You mean 10 minutes to completely come to grips with how the entire forging system works so the next time I do it i literally require less than a minute because I now know how it works? Since transitioning to the new map I have walked 4 or 5 people through how to go from nothing to crafting copper tools with literally just guiding them to different crafting tables and telling them which tool to use.

See the problem is Vortex doesn't exist in a vacuum. It exists among all the other unique and non intuitive aspects of the server. When a new player joins, they need to contend with personas, chat channels, emoting, and a million other things scream for their attention. One of the top new player complaints when I was on the team was just how different and restricted LoTC felt compared to the vanilla experience. Some people call that a pro but if you're going to make a roleplay server on Minecraft, you should at least lean into the Minecraft's strengths. The server should be intuitive for someone who's already familiar with vanilla Minecraft.

13 hours ago, Sham404 said:

Are you saying that you immediately knew how to make everything in minecraft? I dont think so. Not to mention the entire vortex system is optional, not mandatory participation. Not to mention there will literally be a guide available to everyone.

We have a tutorial island. It wont take much to make tutorial island include vortex. A guide is also coming out - as I and others have said countless times. If people cant be bothered reading the guide, thats on them. The application process for the server is already rigorous and excludes vast numbers of possible players on purpose.

From what I could tell, Vortex is required if you want to craft any of the new PvP items. It also looks like the world team wants to use Vortex to simulate some sort of economy, I really wouldn't call it "optional".

The idea that it's somehow the player's fault developers made a system that requires a written guide to use is bonkers......The goal should be to make the server more welcoming and easier to get into. Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the application process is in any way rigorous. The major complaint for apps over the last 2 years has been it's too easy lol.

And this is all without actually addressing the fact that the GUI looks pretty awful. Do we really need to be using glass panes? It's not that much more work to introduce a server resource pack and use blank textures. And if you don't want to introduce a customer resource pack for whatever reason, you could at least use heads for the various icons......

Edited by CrazyBigSpiders